Dragon Age 2 will include more Fade, an importable world, and the Morrigan effect

Tuesday, 5th October 2010 23:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

dragonage2

Mike Laidlaw, lead designer of Dragon Age 2, has talked a bit more about importing saves from DA: Origins into the new game upon release.

Speaking with NowGamer, Laidlaw said the world of the original and the decisions made are what will be importable into the sequel, since there’s a new main character involved this time around.

“We look at it as importing the world really. I’ve always seen Dragon Age as a franchise as about more than any one character, ” said Laidlaw. “It’s about an entire span of history and the whole world that’s affected by what happens.

“So that was our approach and I think the importing stays true to that in the sense that the decisions your Warden made and the person they were all affects Dragon Age II. You know, who’s in charge of Ferelden, what happened with the Dwarves, who’s running Orzammar? All of these things are reflected and accounted for in Dragon Age II.”

And for those wondering about Morrigan, especially now that the Witch Hunt DLC was released for Origins, can wonder no more the part she plays in Dragon Age 2.

“Morrigan’s story is not over even after the Witch Hunt DLC, and although I can’t go too far into it, I can say that she’s not done with this world by any stretch of the imagination,” said Laidlaw.

The designer also goes on to say the metaphysical realm of Fade will be back in Dragon Age 2 as well, but: “in terms of how central it will be, I think there’s some very critical moments tied to the Fade but I don’t want to go into too many details.”

Dragon Age 2 is out in March 2011 for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

To keep you satisfied until then, there’s the Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition coming to PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 for $49.99 on October 26.

1. DSB

That was definitely my least favourite thing in DAO. It was like one of the Max Payne acid sequences, except it just went on and on and on and on.

Seemed like a desperate way to level up the character without making any real content.

2. Erthazus

@1 Yeah i agree. That was just stupid.

FUCK. I completely forgot about saves.

3. G-Sama

Can’t wait for it!!!!

But will morrigan be an old witch of the wood just like her mother was from the previous version??

oh yeah,fade was very stupid(the shape-changing thing),i kinda like it,but it was way too long to be in a single quest….imo

4. YoungZer0

So you’re the child of Morrigan or what?

5. Phoenixblight

No. Hawke is not the child of Morrigan. Hawke was well into adulthood when Loithering was attacked by the darkspawn.

6. frostquake

Can’t Play Witch Hunt on Xbox…Waiting for them to patch it…It is in certification and now floating in Limbo.

7. endgame

the fade was awesome! I’m gad to hear they’re going to show us more of that “area”. :)

8. Lord Gremlin

Hm. Actually, Fade in Origins was shit, but Fade in Awakening was pretty good. I guess Fade is evolving then.

9. Moonwalker1982

There’s a thread on Gametrailers about this game, someone saw it in action during one of those gaming events and said it looked surprisingly bad and boring. There’s also a leaked gameplay video of it and i certainly can’t call it impressive.

It would surprise me ALOT if the game won’t be incredible, anything Bioware these days especially is awesome.

10. Aimless

@9 I played a 360 build at Eurogamer Expo.

Combat’s now more like an action RPG — standard attack on A, special abilities on the other face buttons — which creates a bit of a disconnect because it still takes the same amount of slashes to down an enemy as the original game. Based on the 15 minutes or so I played, it’s currently in that same awkward halfway house between RPG and action game that the first Mass Effect fell into.

That said personally I didn’t get much enjoyment out of Dragon Age‘s combat — playing on PC — so even if the second launched as is, which I doubt, I’d probably prefer it over the first so long as the story, dialogue and characters are up to the same standard.

11. daytripper

I would love these games more if they wernt turn based, that type of gameplay puts me off.

12. Moonwalker1982

@ 10

I really didn’t like the combat system in the first one neither, i actually thought it looked rather lame and cheap. Combat in a RPG needs to be enjoyable and fun, but no matter what, i just couldn’t find that fun part in the combat.

13. Erthazus

“There’s also a leaked gameplay video of it and i certainly can’t call it impressive”

Link maybe? I want to see it.

I don’t understand why Bioware don’t want to show us Dragon Age 2.

14. freedoms_stain

It’s turn based, but at least you’re not sitting around waiting for your turn, it’s a pretty dynamic system, and in DAO where you had 4 guys on the go at once things could get preeeety hectic.

15. DSB

@10 That sounds pretty awful to me. I loved DAO’s combat system.

I guess I’m gonna hold back on release and see what the reviews say. I don’t want to waste more money on junk like ME 2.

16. Erthazus

In my opinion Combat system in DAO was good, but enemies in DAO were freakin lame. You had a lot of options using different abilities for your strategy, but AI is garbage. 90% of the game i used the same tactic over and over again. Last level is just a MEAT fest.

There is only one boss where you use tactics. It’s that with tentacles. That was a serious challenge.

I used like 3 AOE on him: Shadow, fire and Wind with my main Mage and healer granny while Fighter and archer tried to defend my mages. That battle was a masterpiece in my opinion.

17. Aimless

@15 I see no reason it couldn’t control the same as the first on PC, you’d just click on an enemy to auto-attack rather than press A constantly.

You can still pause the combat, cycle through characters, target AoE attacks, et cetera. The main difference I noticed — other than the obvious A-to-attack aspect — was that the special close-combat abilities seemed a bit more ‘active’, as in rather than essentially being a stat buff with a slightly different attack animation they had more obvious utility: there was a broad strike that hit multiple enemies in an arc, plus a dash attack that boosted Hawke through enemies directly in front of him/her, causing damage and potentially getting you out of sticky situations.

Also, the character designs, whilst not world-beating, were an improvement on the first game’s. Although the standard Hurlocks did look a bit like Power Ranger villains…

18. Moonwalker1982

@ 13

There it is, i remember seeing a better quality one but this should be good enough.

19. Erthazus

@18 Thank you. That was enough. No need for the better quality.

Well, they sure need a lot of polish and battle is now more dynamic.