First Resistance 3 images hit, knock world out

Tuesday, 28th September 2010 17:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

r3

The first images from Insomniac’s Resistance 3 have surfaced. They’re pretty amazing. We’ve posted the lot for you below.

The shooter was long-rumored and announced at gamescom in August via a trailer.

Last month, Insomniac said there would be “more to come” on the game, and it looks like it kept its promise.

The screens are awesome, and posted below. They’re from this Flickr account. It’s not confirmed these are real, obviously, but they pretty much are.

It’s out sometime in 2011. We’ll tap Sony up now.

Thanks, V_Ben.

1. V_Ben

Gosh, does it look good. :)

2. Razor

Hmmm, okay Insomniac, you’ve got my attention…

3. Johnny Cullen

WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT!!!

4. justiceblob

Looks yummy.

5. kmtburton

Looks like Sony wasn’t lying when they said all sequels would get the Uncharted 2 treatment. This ones looking better graphically already then either of the other two even looked in cutscenes.

6. Johnny Cullen

Main character looks like it’s going to be Capelli from R2.

7. Razor

Aren’t they concept shots though?

8. spiderLAW

Shit!!! Now i have to go back and try and play part 2 again!!!
    Looks so f*ing amazing!!!

I am not posting comments too quickly!!!
    my words per minute is only 84 bitches!!!

9. OlderGamer

If the gameplay lives up to those shots…might just be a winner. But I have to wonder, how much room is out there and for how many fps. We are already drowning in them.

I know I will take one “arcade” style shooter(Halo Reach). And I will take one “war sim” style shooter(BFBC2). I REALLY don’t need more.

Sometimes the way to dethrone the king gaming(FPS, in general), is not to out FPS the competion. But instead to change the genere everyone talks about. I just see FPS(OMP FPS) as a sort of a dead end.

I often wonder what genere will be big next.

10. Psychotext

Nice enough for concept art, but they’re going to have to go a whole hell of a lot further than they did for Resistance 2 to grab my attention / money.

11. Moonwalker1982

Very good looking but if the gameplay is like R2, i won’t get it. I finished the game, but can’t say i overly enjoyed it much.

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Thanks Psychotext. I was about to say calm down people. It’s concept art. The first two were shit in my opinion despite the reviews and hype.

13. Psychotext

I think a couple of the images at the end might be screen shots. Who knows.

Like this one: http://assets.vg247.com/current//2010/09/5033650076_b5fa493f42_b.jpg

(See dodgy shadows and low ass texture resolution. But maybe they drew it that way… who knows?)

14. Johnny Cullen

I didn’t finish the first game, but I loved the second game.

I am really pumped for this.

15. Erthazus

I’m impressed with textures. Everything else looks like current gen.

16. LOLshock94

the other 1s had the worst graphics but this looks like…….

17. theevilaires

MEGA MEH! no thanks.

18. spiderLAW

@ TEA
    are you fucking kidding me?

19. Galactic_Barret

Not all of them are concept art; Most are in-engine screenshots.

20. onlineatron

The majority of these are in-game or in-engine screens.

I’d imagine the close up faces are from cutscenes.

21. theevilaires

@ spider Halo Reach will still be better than this I’m sure of it.

22. NoxNoctisUmbra

Theevilaires I dont know man
    I think both HALO and R are good games.

But for me R1 and R2 had a better story line then all the Halo combined, even Halo Wars.
    Also its your opinion and my opinion, if you are sure of it or not, it does not make the game (R3) any worse.

On side note, if Halo Reach had score on Graphics at around 9, I hope this one gets a 10!

23. Johnny Cullen

Looking at them again, I can’t help but think it’s looking a bit like Half-Life 2.

And that’s a good thing!

24. spiderLAW

@ TEA
    Hahahaha, now i know you are joking. You almost had me. LOL. Wake up on the right side of the be this morning?

25. No_PUDding

People downplaying this:

I agree they are bullshots, but if they are aiming for that visual style (colour seperation/lens flare) and achieve it, it won’t matter.

This looks fecking stunning.

Glad there’s atmosphere. Shame there’s grimms, and pseudo-chimera that will be mocapped rather than hand keyed.

26. loki

looks very good
    @22 just lol

27. polygem

this looks so awesome. i loved resistance. especially 2. even played the psp one which was alright but not that great. but resistance has so much potential. maybe they will really nail it this time. insomniac have a good feeling for weapons and the gameplay in general. the bullseye is amazing – so much fun to shoot – never gets old – i love stuff like this. one of my favorite developers. unfortunately i don´t own a ps3 anymore…i´ll borrow one for this game. happy that insomniacs next franchise will go multiplat. really happy.
    @older gamer: i hear you. i also feel like i´m already perfectly happy with reach and bc2 – give me some dlc and i´m fine for a long long time. on the other hand i cannot wait for games like this, (even moh) or brink. i love shooters and i really think there wont be another genre as sucessfull anytime soon. i think we´ll see some variations – new gameplay ideas, maybe some more genre mixing and stuff like that.

28. No_PUDding

It’ll bust, all the fads do.

Anyway, everyone saying they played only R2, or only part of R:FoM, you actually have no right to be excited.

R2 was tripe in it’s tripiest form. MP was cool, but it didn’t feel good. I’d love them to extend on it. It’s different from anything else out there.

29. LOLshock94

looks like batmannnnnnnnnnnnn graphics

30. theevilaires

@NOX I was screwing with spider….he knows me pretty well by now LOL. Read his comment at 24. Also I agree RFOM story is far more intriguing than Halo but I have to admit R2 dropped the ball a bit.

R3 will and should destroy the Halo name again. Halo isn’t king anymore and Resistance is SONY’s Halo killer…..maybe not in sales but sure as hell in game play.

31. Gekidami

The difference in design from the other 2 games is pretty extreme.
    And i agree with Johnny, theres a very ‘HL2-like’ feel in these shots.

32. Johnny Cullen

Some people on GAF are saying the main character might be Grayson from Retribution, not Capelli.

I’d be majorly surprised if it wasn’t Capelli, going by the end of R2.

33. Gekidami

Seeing as Grayson wore his brothers jacket which had great sentimental value and that isnt the one in these shots, i’m going to say thats Capelli.

34. Johnny Cullen

Ah. I wouldn’t know anyways as I’ve yet to play Retribution. I still need to get round to playing it.

35. Erthazus

Yeah, a bit for Eastern European feel in screenshots. It’s a good sign.

36. Michael O’Connor

Any of the shots involving combat and locations look just as muddy and washed out as the previous games did.

You can pretty much guarantee that (just like with Uncharted 2) the cutscenes, any scenes outside of combat and exploration, won’t be running in-engine.

All that matters at the end of the day is gameplay. If that’s not up to scratch, I don’t care how pretty it looks. The first two games were incredibly average, so I’m not holding my breath.

37. DuckOfDestiny

I hope they make the game play more like Resistance 1. Hated that you could only carry two guns in Resistance 2.

Also hope they go for a more horror themed game, Resistance 1 and 2 both had their moments, but were generally not scary.

38. manamana

@9 good thoughts. How should a gamechanger looks like? More arcade style would be Bulletstorm imo. Rage is also still promising, but who knows when and how it will come around. The whole genre needs a breath of fresh air, gameplay wise, graphics are not that important imo.
    Btw. For the topic: I hope its stellar story and gameplay – looks very promising, though.
    Edit: oh, I forgot to mention HL3! now thats promissing! :-D

39. NoxNoctisUmbra

@ The
    “Halo isn’t king anymore and Resistance is SONY’s Halo killer…..maybe not in sales but sure as hell in game play”

Yes I agree. Halo was fun in Halo 1, 2 and 3 was getting old.

R1 and R2 were very fun games, I just hope R3 changes up a bit.

40. manamana

God this Halo bashing is getting old *facepalm*
    Ok, you dont like it! Wohoo! Yeah! Yiehaa!

41. Psychotech

@40 as well as the Halo series themselves are getting old and tiring.i love them but we’ve got to move on.

42. spiderLAW

Bashing gets old period.
    Dont just think that the bashing is only for Halo. Plenty of franchises get bashed here frequently. Halo just seems to be the most talked about subject because it is new.

Halo is getting Old though. Its the same game we have been playing since the original Xbox right down to the controls, graphics, story, and design. Its even worse that a Prequel actually has better designs than the actual main story and games. But again, bashing in general gets old.

43. Psychotech

R3 shots look nice btw.as for the bit of washed out colours and muddy environments i think they’re intentionally that way.you know?like watching a movie from 60′s.fits for the whole concept behind the game.

44. Isaaclarke37

The pictures looks great inaddition that it will start Joseph Capelli who was the guy with Hale at the end of the sequel, can’t wait to see how this starts.

45. DrDamn

I thought Capelli was really quite annoying and as R2 finished was looking forward to perhaps having to kill him. The actuality of what happened was made all the more powerful based on my mindset at the time :D. I thought that was actually one of the strongest parts of R2 – along with the MP.

46. g00nerz

Sweet Jesus, I was about to say these looked a little fan art-ish, but it turns out my internet connection was compressing the images a lot (via mobile phone). A swift shift-f5 and now I can see what you lot are talking about. Holy fuck-a-moly.

Interestingly the Flickr account has now been closed.

47. reask

@ DrDamn.
    I could never get my head around R2 MP.
    I found it practically impossible to string more than 3 kills in a row.
    Probably just me but I never seemed to have the same difficulty in any other MP games.

The game itself was quite enjoyable though so will probably pick this one up.

48. AHA-Lambda

it looks abit like grayson to me =/

49. spiderLAW

he has Capelli’s Bone Structure but has Grayson’s features (skin tone, hair, depression).