THQ: Kinect/Move development provides cheap alternative to core games

Thursday, 23rd September 2010 03:25 GMT By Nathan Grayson

move9

Jumping up and down and waving your arms about like a lunatic/horrifyingly happy family is hard.

Developing a game where you do that, however, is not.

“They are more mass-market type games. The cost of games for Kinect and Move is a fraction of what it is for the stuff we showed for you on the screen [Red Faction: Armageddon and Homefront],” THQ CEO Brain Farrell said during the Goldman Sachs Communacopia Conference in New York.

“They are just simpler forms of game where it’s more based on your movement and the input device; not on fantastic art and very complex animations. That’s the other reason we like those two products – the cost of development is much lower than for the other core products.”

For the sake of your brand new Move controller that’s already trying on fashionable winter coats of dust, we sure hope other developers don’t share THQ’s mentality.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. freedoms_stain

I am super super stoked for all the low res shovelware crap we’re going to have to endure reading about for the next 5 years.

2. justiceblob

I’m super super stoked about the high quality new experiences we are going to hear about in the next 5 years.

3. orakaa

@2 : just go in a video game shop…. go to the Wii section… have a CLOSE look around you and see the third party titles developped for the Wii…

Now, reconsider the “high quality” you are talking about.
    Thank you.

I am not saying we won’t have good quality games, and I, myself, have bought the PS Move and am quite satisfied with it so far… but the kind of mentality of developpers like THQ only led to hundreds and hundreds of shovelware…

The only good third party titles that got released on the Wii and come to my mind are “Red Steel” and the “Raving Rabbids” series. apart from that… come on…

4. justiceblob

@3 Have you even looked up any awesome 3rd party Wii games, because believe me, plenty exist.

5. Dannybuoy

Give it time people. I’m sure in a year or so we’ll have some quality games built from the ground up for the new motion contols or as I like to say newtion controls. (no I don’t). Shame there’ll be a bit of a wait. My move has been played for approx 1 hour since launch. Roll on KZ2

6. Erthazus

@justiceblob, you are so naive on this one. History shows that console within the console does not WORK.
    We are in the middle of the life cycle and console manufacturers and 3rd party publishers started to make great games for the systems.
    these motion controls are just a BOOST for the current generation.

7. orakaa

@ Justiceblob: well, I’ve had the Wii since launch, and except “Red Steel” and “Raving Rabbids”, the ONLY really interesting games I’ve had/seen on the Wii were FIRST PARTY titles (Mario, Zelda, etc.).
    If you insist, you can put No More Heroes and Mad World on the list (even though I found those 2 games WAY too overhyped and just repetitive and boring in the end).

When I go in a video game shop, 95% of the Wii games I see are shovelwares… made by companies that try to develop low budget games to try to make easy money without caring about the quality of their products…

8. DrDamn

I’ve found with the Wii that aside from Wii Sports / Wii Sports Resort very few *first* party titles actually use the controller well. In fact with most it is a hinderance more than a benefit. There are better third party titles (in amongst the piles of dross) which embrace the technology better. Stuff like Boom Blox for example. Mario with waggle and no camera controls because there aren’t enough buttons/sticks is not better for having the wii-mote as a controller.

9. cookiejar

As long as we get games like Tumble (if you have Move, download it) and stuff like Sorcery, I don’t mind the crap. I’ll just avoid it.

10. OlderGamer

@9 +1

There are some gems in there here and there.

11. Madgame

If developingm motion games only costs a “fraction” of normal games, I want to be charged a fraction of the price. Sure they’re a little cheaper but not that much.

@7: You’re forgetting Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Wether you’re a fan or not, these are widely accepted as excellent 3rd party Wii games.