Demon’s Souls devs announce Project Dark at TGS

Thursday, 16th September 2010 08:13 GMT By Johnny Cullen

project dark

From Software’s announced a brand new PS3 exclusive, in Japan at least, from the dev team behind Demon’s Souls, known as Project Dark.

Not much is known of it, other then it’s being aimed at fans of the former, with it being a “dark fantasy” title.

The game was shown at Sony’s TGS press conference this morning, but the internet stream was blacked out during the presentation.

If this is a spiritual sequel to Demon’s Souls, expect this to be fucked up difficult.

Project Dark releases next year in Japan for PS3. It’s out in the west for PS3 and 360 from Namco Bandai.

[Pic]

1. Syrok

Pff, difficult… It’s challenging, but not difficult. :)

2. mington

Shazam! i bet it 2 years off yet though

3. Herlock

\o/ best news ever \o/

4. DrDamn

Nice. Demon’s Souls was quite a while back now – so it’s possible it will be released next year ok.

5. Aimless

Even better news: according to the official site it’s PS3 and 360.

Share the love grim determination.

Edit: Ah, apparently it’s a FFXIII scenario: PS3 exclusive in Japan, both HD consoles in the West.

6. orakaa

Oh, come on, I want to see pictures, have data on this ^^
    It’s a good news, let’s hope it gets released soon and that we can shortly see a trailer

7. Blerk

Multi-plat? Blimey, that’s a bit of a surprise.

8. Lord Gremlin

@Blerk: And a bad surprise – most From Software games are garbage. They’ve created Demon’s Souls together with Sony Japan. If they’re making this for x360 too and therefore all by themselves – expect another p.o.s. like Ninja Blade.

9. DrDamn

Did Sony Japan have a lot of input or did they just publish? DS itself was more of a spiritual successor of sorts to the Kingsfield series anyway.

Interesting. Maybe we’ll get a more global release this time round too. Though it implies no more info until next year. The fact they have the site in Japanese and English already bodes well though.

10. Blerk

I got the idea that Sony were a bit more involved with Demon’s Souls than just publishing, but I might be wrong on that.

11. Lord Gremlin

@9, well known fact is that they developed the game together. Who created the engine and who was responsible for animation etc. I don’t know – that’s closed information of course. But that’s a sign, man. You have things like Ninja Blade, Enchanted Arms and then suddenly – Demon’s Souls, and “coincidentally” this one is developed together with Sony Japan…

12. DrDamn

I think From Software have a bit of a history of blowing hot and cold though. They do end up chucking out a lot of mediocre stuff but occasionally they come out with some exceptional titles. Chromehounds comes to mind as another for example.

13. Gadzooks!

Excellent news. It will be nice to play a Demons Souls game with Achievements, a decent co-op system and without having my hands cramp up from that rediculous barbie-sized controller.

I hope they dont reduce the difficulty from DS too much but I would like more shortcuts. There is a fine line between risk/reward difficulty and tedium. Balance was perfect for the first half of the game but definitely fell into tedium in the latter half.

I’d like the material grinding requirements reduced though, the grind for stones got way too boring.

14. josethetiger

@ Gadzooks! That’s exactly y xbots don’t deserve a game like Demon’s Souls. U put so many changes “to make it better” u just ruined it. What r u gonna request next? Space Marines and aliens? Douche…

15. Gadzooks!

Shut your trolling hole, idiot.

DS was a great game which IN MY OPINION would be better with some small tweaks.

16. xino

ps3 exclusive!?
    once they release a top notch trailer, it will be sold and sales will definitely do better than Demon Souls.

Sony are bunch of fu*ktards! If they haven’t messed up the publishing demon’s souls would have done well.

I’m surprised FromSoftware are still being nice to those farking pricks.

17. Blerk

It’s not a PS3 exclusive, read the rest of the comments.

DS did quite well in the end, didn’t it?

18. DaMan

hmm, well w/e. I was never a fan of these games anyway, same as in the days of King’s field, and this one won’t change that.

19. No_PUDding

Demon’s Souls is great. So I’m up for it.

I guess DS must have done well in the EU, for Bandai Namco to have funded development on this one.

Sony are stupid or slow I guess, I’d MUCH prefer they use the same universe, than create a new one. It was intriguing, and had places to go, quite literally looking at the sixth archstone.

20. Erthazus

Are you sure that this is the spiritual sequel to DS? I’m not so sure about that. I think it’s a complete different game.

21. Blerk

I’d be very surprised if Sony didn’t want a proper Demon’s Souls 2. I’m guessing this’ll be something different.

22. No_PUDding

Good. I want an actual Demon’s Souls sequel too.

I wouldn’t even mind if someone else handled DS2, although when you become cognisant of the design, besides dying – you realise they did a great job.

23. metamorphic

This will of course be different from DS; this might not even be an RPG. Also, Sony’s famous Japan Studio co-developed DS with From Software, so Blerk is right: they’d have had major input. In terms of success, DS did quite well in Japan. So, there might be a sequel in the near future.

24. Galactic_Barret

Maybe this is what they really meant by “missed opportunity” not publishing DS. I hate saying this, but From either needs to be paid or bought; Either way, money needs to be thrown in their direction, this is a huge coup.

Being perfectly honest, MS won TGS, hands down. How insane is that?

25. Bleak Harvest

“MS won TGS, hands down” uhhhhh… excuse me? Was this officially announced? I must have missed that news report.