Torchlight II announced for spring 2011, MMO put on hold

Wednesday, 4th August 2010 17:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

torchlight II

Runic Games has announced Torchlight II through an official website for the game.

Initially slated for digital release in spring 2011, the game adds online co-op, an improved user interface, and fully customizable characters.

Here’s a blurb:

The most exciting new feature of Torchlight II is the multiplayer element. Play with your friends, and use the free peer-to-peer matchmaking service to meet new players of a similar level and interest. Together players will discover expansive randomized outdoor areas and deep ominous caverns; random instanced and persistent dungeons, a huge variety of all new monsters and villains, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. Players journey through the perilous Overworld, enjoying all new weather features, time of day events, and a rich and cunning story to drive gameplay.

Features:

• Multiplayer – Play with your friends over a local area network, or over the Internet. A free matchmaking peer-to-peer service lets you make new friends for exciting co-op play.
  • Customizable Characters – Players create and customize a character from one of four classes available and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic, class, and gender choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character can be custom-tailored to each player’s needs.
  • Moddability – Torchlight II will release with an updated version of TorchEd, the Torchlight editor. Players have the option to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. You and your friends can download the same mod and play together!
  • New User Interface – Torchlight II boasts an entirely new, improved user interface, designed to be easier than ever for new players to pick up and play. Thanks to this intuitive interface, players have immediate access to a rich and varied world, with little experience necessary.
  • Overworld Areas – Torchlight II has large randomized overworld areas to explore with weather, time of day cycles, and random events that provide players with even more content to experience.
  • Random Dungeons – Delve into randomly generated dungeons within the game at any time for extra experience and rare loot. Dungeons in Torchlight II have even more branching paths to explore with friends filled with random events, rewards and dangers.
  • Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks onto new characters.
  • Pets – Players choose a pet to accompany them. Pets level up along with the player, and help in battle, learn spells, carry items, and perform a variety of support services.
  • Fishing – Fishing returns in the sequel! Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to relax by one of the many fishing holes and see what they can catch. Fish have unique benefits for the player and pet, while a number of other rewards can also be discovered.

Awesome stuff.

Despite all this good news for fans of the game, it looks as those waiting on the MMO planned for the franchise will have to wait a bit longer, as it’s been put on hold in order to work on Torchlight II, Runic PR head Wonder Russell told BigDownload.

However, she also said the MMO project would be put back into development once Torchlight II was complete, so that’s something at least.

TL2 will be playable at gamescom this month and PAX  Prime in September, and for more on the game, head on over to the official website.

1. Blerk

Fuck, yeah! \o/

I need a new computer.

2. Happy Hardon Harry

Inevitable..

3. DeSpiritusBellum

Torchlight is the most fun you can have for 16 euro, but it’s still sticking to the Diablo/Diablo II formula.

Playing Alien Swarm really made me think of just how much Blizzard could do with Diablo III. More unique classes, more polished encounters. That could really be a monster. Hopefully they won’t change absolutely nothing, again.

4. freedoms_stain

Fuck, I bought the original eons ago in some Steam sale and still haven’t gotten around to it.

There aren’t enough free hours in the day.

I need me one of them stay at home consultancy jobs where they pay you a massive wad for fuck all.

5. Tomo

I only just started the first one the other day. It’s very addictive in that nice, easy, pick up ‘n’ slash way. With co-op it’ll be like playing a modern day Gauntlet or something! Sounds great.

6. Elven_Star

Would be cool on consoles like DeathSpank.

7. Phoenixblight

Hope Blizzard doesn’t release D3 near or around the same date otherwise this game will be left in the dust. THen again you could just get Torchlight if you don’t have the money for D3. Assuming its going for less than 60$.

8. DeSpiritusBellum

@7 If they stick to the same pricepoint then there’s no excuse imo. For ~15 euros it deserves to be played.

I’m pretty sure they’re gonna beat Diablo. I’ll be kinda surprised if that hits before 2012. If they don’t, they’re gonna have a nasty benchmark to scale against.

9. Phoenixblight

Activision put in their shareholders call that they plan on releasing D3 in 2011. There is a new one coming tomorrow so we’ll see if thats still what they are going for.

Why would it beat Diablo 3? THe diablo series is strongest selling of Blizzard series besides of course World of Warcraft.

10. Stephany Nunneley

The post has been updated with more information on the MMO and TL2′s appearance at PAX and gamescom.

11. Hunam

TL2 kinda of makes the MMO pointless for me though.

12. DeSpiritusBellum

@9 Beat, as in beat Diablo to the punch. I should’ve expressed it better. Indie games can’t compete with triple-A.

I didn’t see the shareholder thing, but there’s no way Blizzard are gonna launch before it’s ready, that would be a world first. I think it’s gonna be a while.

13. Phoenixblight

Agreed they will probably release it prior to D3 and you are right Blizz won’t release it before they are finished with it. Its just an estimation not a year set in stone but you have to admit Blizzard is getting better at this release date thing not saying “Soon” then its released 10 years later.

14. DeSpiritusBellum

@13 Hah, how do you figure that? :p

Lich King got bumped into 2009 as I recall, Ghost got delayed and then cancelled, and Starcraft II is like a saga onto itself. What is it, like 5 years since it was announced?

I was a little surprised that they actually launched on the 27th. I was expecting a minor delay based on the extended beta.

It’s like other developers make games like they’re making a car. You just put it together and roll it out the door. Blizzard makes fine wine. It takes a lot of patience.

15. Phoenixblight

“Lich King got bumped into 2009 as I recall”

Wrong it was released November 2008

Ghost is not cancelled, its just been put on on back burners.

“Starcraft II is like a saga onto itself. What is it, like 5 years since it was announced?”

Uh No it was announced in 2007. SO 3 years give or take a month.

Blizzard has said they would release 2 games this year one being SC2 and another being the expansion to WOW. THey have gotten a lot better at release dates.

16. Hunam

It’s been over 8 years since Ghost was first seen and about 4 years since it was put on hold. I doubt we’ll ever see the game again. Was a great idea though… I mean Nihilistics original idea of a stealth action game rather than Swinging Apes actiony action game.

17. Phoenixblight

I am just going off of what Blizz says they stated it wasn’t cancelled and its a possibility of it being brought back.

18. MushroomStamp

Day 1 for me; )

19. theevilaires

I think its more like -3 day for you Mr. Pirate ;) Whats up MushroomStamp! :D

20. DeSpiritusBellum

@15 You’re totally right on the Lich King. It was Burning Crusade that got delayed back in the day. My mistake.

You’re also right about Starcraft, but it’s been in development since 2003 and it’s suffered at least two delays. First it got pushed into first half of ’10, then it was July.

Ghost is obviously a mystery, but it’s a fact that all the work on the game was canned in 2006, so at least for the time being, it’s vaporware. And it’s still vaporware that got delayed quite a few times back in the day.

Cataclysm remains to be seen, though.

21. Hunam

I’m sure starcraft ghost will come out when warcraft adventures does.

22. Phoenixblight

“Though personally I wish they would take more time with their expansions these days, Lich King is what turned me off WoW.”

Huh thats odd because it did the opposite for me after BC I was going to throw in the towel for WoW and then Blizz sent me a Beta invite and after playing on my DK and doing all Northrend areas I was hooked. The quests were leaps and bounds better than BC and Vanilla. To each their own Though.

“You’re also right about Starcraft, but it’s been in development since 2003″

Those were different times for Blizzard their development was probably the concept stuff, it wasn’t til the merger came that Blizzard had made separate teams for each of their franchises.

“Cataclysm remains to be seen, though.”

Well Open beta started month and a half ago and they’re are releasing beta builds weekly with weekly invites of 1k invites. Its completely different than Wrath or even Burning Crusade Beta. They are going for speed.

23. DeSpiritusBellum

@22 Hah, tastes differ I guess.

When I first played Burning Crusade it was like a blast of new shapes and colours and imaginative mobs and landscapes, and it only got better with the raid encounters and the Illidan hunt. I had completely the opposite reaction to Lich King. Been there, done that.

I love reading about what they’re trying to do with Cataclysm, but I think it sounds a lot better than what can be achieved in a year. Rather than this grand “rethink” of the old territories, it’s going to be “some” added content here and there, with some new scenery. That’s my bet.

24. Phoenixblight

Some areas have had their quests streamlined while others like STV getting an overhaul with the area becoming split, The ZG area becoming a a quest hub for lower levels. Also THe Plaguelands,(both versions),have changed to show that the scourge are more of an annoyance than a threat and the area not being infested with the plague. They have been working on this expansion alongside of the development of Wrath.

25. ultramega

BRB, gotta change my boxers.

But seriously. This is an instant buy for me. Can’t wait. Loved the original, and now that they’re fixing the only downfall, the lack of multiplayer, I’ll be hooked on this.