Irrational’s Project Icarus to be trailered next Thursday

Monday, 2nd August 2010 20:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

irrational

Irrational’s confirmed the public will get its first sighting of the studio’s new game, codenamed Project Icarus, next Thursday in a debut trailer for it.

It’ll come a day after the game will be shown to US press in New York next Wednesday.

“Next week, we’ll begin breaking that long silence and start speaking out,” said Irrational’s Shawn Elliott in a special episode on the studio’s podcast.

“On August 12, we’ll show you a trailer and tell you about our title. We’ll explore that trailer’s secrets in another longer episode of Irrational Behaviour. And finally, you’ll learn about a live demo that we’re showing to press before you see it for yourself.”

People have also been ringing a special phone number to guess what game the studio has been making. You can hear what was said, every from a new IP and SWAT 5 to System Shock 3 and BioShock 3, on the podcast. Listen to it anyways, just for the SWAT rap.

In the meantime, keep your eyes glued on whatisicarus.com to see if any hints come about before then.

1. Hunam

They’ve made a lot of fuss about this already and I kind of don’t care to be honest. Too much teasing before hand has grated my patience with them.

Edios montreal got it right. Just announce the game then ask people to come back in a couple of years for some nice art work and videos.

2. LOLshock94

how long has this project Icarus been around for and does anybody no the name of the game where it was a meant to be a post-apocalyptic survival

3. DeSpiritusBellum

Well, substance > gimmicks. It doesn’t really matter how you sazz it up, people are gonna pay attention if what you’re showing is interesting.

But yeah, Levine better deliver after passing on X-Com.

4. The_Red

SWAT 5 would be sick. The 4th part was simply sublime. Best tactical game I’ve ever played.

5. Hunam

I’d like that. I just loved the shouting matches you’d have with a suspect before shooting him in the face with a bean bag shot gun. Utterly hilarious.

But 2K seem to be in a mode where they want more fantastical ideas or games set in unusual time periods, a slow, modern tactical shooters doesn’t really suit the companies direction at the moment.

6. AHA-Lambda

system shock related please?

7. Hunam

EA own System Shock.

8. DeSpiritusBellum

@4 Wow, really? I thought it was complete garbage. The AI was beyond broken. I couldn’t get them to enter a room without losing 50% of them, and the fact that you had 5 guys against 20-something enemies didn’t exactly help the problem.

Swat 3 was excellent, though, I’ve been picking that up again like once every year. It still amazes me how sharp the AI is.

9. AHA-Lambda

@7 – awww i was hoping :(

now i dont care anymore what this is =/

10. Hunam

Dead Space is good enough to fill the void though. As long as they don’t lose the atmosphere that is. They can easily go too action and lose it.

11. AHA-Lambda

yea true, wonder what EA is going to do with the system shock IP then if anything? =/

12. Hunam

I remember reading that Dead Space did actually start as a System Shock title but they felt that it was too much pressure to make the game they wanted under the System Shock banner so decided to make a new, similar IP.

To be honest, I think they are just sitting on it till the right developer comes along. They’ve had ample chance to farm it off to the lowest to make a quick buck but they haven’t, which gives me faith that they at least care about the licence. Saying that they have tons of good stuff (theme hospital!) that just sits around doing nothing.

EA churn out some right shit yet have some amazing IP sitting around losing interest and fans. Hopefully that Starbreeze game is actually Syndicate.

13. AHA-Lambda

yeah i do hope your right after all like you said they haven’t just sold it for a quick buck or anything.

And i do wanna see that syndicate game aswell :P

14. Blerk

I really hope it isn’t Bioshock 3, that’d be a huge letdown after all the secrecy.

I hope it’s something completely new. And ridiculously awesome-looking.

15. AHA-Lambda

i have heard its a new ip

16. LordCancer

I hate this term “next Thursday”.