The Sly Collection hitting retail for $39.99

Thursday, 22nd July 2010 16:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

slycooper

Sony has announced on the US PS Blog a price for The Sly Collection, which is slated for release in the fall.

For $39.99, you’ll get three re-mastered Sly games in HD: Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2: Band of Thieves and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves.

Sanzaru Games has also added 3D support for all three titles, which last we heard, only Sly 3 would support the tech.

New PlayStation Move mini-games have also been added,  with details on those to be announced “very soon”, and PSN Trophy support will be integrated into the entire collection, with three platinum Trophies up for grabs.

More of The Sly Collection will be shown this week at Comic-Con, which starts today.

More through here.

1. spiderLAW

Too expensive. Should be $29.99

2. cookiejar

Nice, Think I’ll be picking this up.

3. Demiath

The price sounds about right, given that we’re talking a collection of games which have presumably been given the same nice HD treatment as God of War games. I’m a little puzzled that the second PS2-to-PS3 pack will be Sly of all series and not, say, Ico or some other obvious fan favorite. Even Ratchet & Clank would – from a purely brand-focused perspective – have been a more immediately understandable choice than this.

Granted, having never actually played a Sly game (and barely even seen footage of any of the games) doesn’t exactly make me representative of PS2 nostalgiacs in general…but I don’t think I’m as far away from the statistically average gamer as you’d think the publisher in question would want me to be for this pack to make financial sense…

4. Erthazus

Rip Off, considering i can run this on HD with emulator.

5. ARFarokhi

Sure. but SONY is not forcing you to buy it! just play with your emulator and enjoy, let SONY do their rip off.
    and by the way, god didn’t create the word “Rip off” just for M$!

6. Robo_1

39.99 for a set of lovely games I never got around to playing. Sounds about right IMO.

7. Gadzooks!

I also think that’s a little expensive for rehashed PS2 games (that will translate to £40 in the UK). I’d take a punt at £25 though I think.

There isnt exactly a huge range of titles to choose from in this genre at the moment and the Sly Cooper games had a lot of character.

I would of course want an official statement that resolution and framerate have not been compromised to accomodate 3D.

8. Robo_1

I thought the God Of War collection was released at £29.99 (available for £24.99 most places), over in the UK and that was 40 dollars on release in the states.

I wouldn’t pay more than £29.99 myself to be honest, but I don’t think it’s a bad value proposition at all. There must be about 40 hours of solid gameplay in there, along with bonus Move stuff and the final game incorporating 3D, it seems like a pretty decent package.

9. The Hindle

Depends if you have played the games before, i havent so i consider this collection to be a bargain.

10. theevilaires

LMAO people think 2HD classics re-released on a Blu-Ray is too expensive. :D $20 a piece and they have a platinum trophy each are you nuts?

Seriously Gadzooks! why do you even post in SONY articles when every thing they do you go against. Wake up out of your denial kid.

11. spiderLAW

I havent played them either BUT it is still a rehashed package of PS2 games that haven’t been graphically reworked and are just being re-released in HD format. Yes there is Move support and 3D but neither were available for the initial release so these games werent designed around those features. Meaning, that while it is an available option, it really isnt anything that will enhance the experience.

I thought the same for the God of War collection which i had waited for it to drop to $30 to buy. And even then, only because i hadnt played them before and i wanted to play them before investing in part 3.

12. Xuchilbara

Wow, what a bunch of broke asses we have here…. Seriously, 39.99 for three remastered games is too expensive for you guys? Grow up….
    The God of War Collection looked incredible! The second more than the first, but I was really impressed…. I will definitely be picking this up for sure! Hopefully they bundle it with a different color controller though, the GoW collection came with a red one. This could come with…. Purple?

13. spiderLAW

You are funny. A rude poor little boy with no sense of business or fincial observations comes here and tells people to grow up. Funniest comment i have read all year.

Maybe we, the ones complaining of the price, are considering our real financial obligations but would like to indulge in another game experience to take our minds away from those responsibilities without being swindled into buying such a product that took little resources to release. Its as if they are charging for a new, made from scratch, title. Yes it isn’t $60 but for it being as old of games as they are, and what little was involved in releasing them, a $30 price tag seems a bit more reasonable.

You sir need to grow up.

14. theevilaires

Oh I stand corrected its not 2 games but 3 games re-released in HD. Also Spider go check out the old and new comparison vids of these games. They look 100x better than the PS2 versions. (well not 100x) :D

15. Galactic_Barret

That doesn’t make sense. Just like GoW collection, all these are GH titles, putting their price purchased new at $20. Multiplied by three, you be pay more without this collection.

With added content included, there is no reason why these games should be $10 a piece. Financial sense, my toe; These updates aren’t cheap, complaining about its price reeks of entitlement.

16. spiderLAW

So you are saying that at $30 they wouldn’t be making a profit? That is not the smartest observation, but it isn’t the dumbest.

It will go down to $30 within 4 months of release after the sales for the collection show that the $40 isn’t justified (God of War collection).
    You are thinking too much like a corporate jackal (Activision?) and not like a manager at a retail standpoint. I worked as a retail manager and know the profits games make and at $30 off the bat will still garner them a nice sized profit. And also, $30 is more intriguing thus creating more of a want for the title from others than loyal followers and therefore creating an increase in sales all together. That sir will also have them collect money faster and longer.

17. spiderLAW

@TEA
    It is an impressive difference in resolution quality but not graphically. I’m not saying nobody should buy this game, its just too expensive for my taste. I am 100% positive that i would be buying it at $30 brand new and not used though.

18. Gadzooks!

There are very, very few games I pay more than £25 for these days.

All console games apart from Modern Warfare and Guitar Hero/Rock Band go down to £25-30 within a month or so these days. As I always have a backlog of games I’m happy to wait a while to pick up new games.

But in this case the amount of work involved in remastering these games is minimal. I already paid my way when I played these games the first time. The devs got thier money.

I’ll pay for them again when I see they are at an appropriate value to me. What I will not do is be dictated to about how much I value a game. Not by you, and not by publishers.

19. theevilaires

Spider come on 3 platinum’s for $40 that’s a fucking steal ;)
    Would this game sell another 500,000 easily if it were $30…hell yea, but its 3 games for $40. That’s still great value.

20. Filofax

Bet it’s no more than £25 at places like ShopTo, they did the God of War collection for £19 so I doubt this will be much more than that.

21. spiderLAW

@TEA
    You are right about that. It is a great deal for 3 platinums but i dont buy games just for the trophies. I buy games if i am genuinely interested in the story, gameplay, and graphics. Then i play it to death until i have gotten as many trophies as i can before getting bored of it.
    You being an amazing trophy hunter get just a little more excited over the trophies than i do. Not a bad thing :)

22. chronoss2

Those who complain should play Sly Cooper first before they speak!! 3 legendary platforming-spying games like no other, thanks Sony for making this possible. Today games last 5 hours in solo mode and they cost 60-70$. Here you have beautiful 3 games with 15 hours each 40$ and still complaining ? How many of you are going to buy the crap Halo: Reach ? Do you think it’s worth 70$ ?

23. Gadzooks!

Already played, already paid. Not paying full price again.

You are picking the wrong game to compare value to. I, along with millions and millions of other gamers got several hundred hours of playtime from Halo 3 and will get just as much, probably more, from Reach. That is value for money second to none.

Over 8 million people bought Halo 3 and it is still one of the most played games in the world. Reach is set to smash that figure, so you might want to rethink comparisons to Sly Cooper. It’s not a winning argument.

HD rehashes have their place, and it’s in the budget section. That’s where I’ll be getting my copy from.

24. chronoss2

@23 : you have to know that not everybody has internet and that’s the only interest Halo has..