Sony: “We’re in a very good spot” with Move, 3D

Saturday, 26th June 2010 20:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

sccottrohde

Sony Worldwide Studios VP Scott Rohde has said that with 3D gaming and Move coming to PS3, the company is confident that the momentum generated will allow the console to “hit it’s stride”.

Speaking with IndustryGamers at E3, Rode said Sony’s “hoping” it can potentially overtake Xbox 360 with the tech.

“We certainly hope that’s going to be the case,” he said regarding 360. “We are confident that we have a huge amount of momentum and we see that from all of our partners in the industry at retail and third party partners.

“The buzz is about where the PS3 is headed in the future, and I truly believe that future-proof message is a big part of that. A lot of developers, a lot of publishers out there are saying, ‘Wow, we like what the Move is offering, we like that you guys are on the cutting edge of 3D, so we’re going to get involved now, because when the PS3 really hits its stride we want to be there with it.’

“So we’re very confident that we’re in a very good spot right now. And our partners are echoing that sentiment back to us”.

Sony revealed at its E3 press conference last week that 40 developers and publishers were working on Move titles, and recently released a firmware update on PS3 to support 3D gaming.

More through the links.

1. chronoss2

Good news! I personally can’t wait for the PS Move. I loved the videos of Echochrome 2 and of course the co-op in LBP. I’d just like them to improve the PSN more :/

2. Alakratt

Move, ok, 3D…nope. C’mon, buying another TV and going back the glasses (and this time more expensive!!). I’m a PS3 supporter but 3D with glasses can fuck off! Call me when you get 3D without glasses.

3. DrDamn

Much as I am looking forward to both techs personally I don’t see this happening. 3d is too expensive for people to jump into without already looking to change tv *and* being happy with the expense and restrictions. Move is nice, but there has been no killer software shown yet, just me-too, dirge and some potentially interesting stuff.

4. chronoss2

@3 :

Sorcery, LBP2, Socom4, Killzone 3, Time Crisis and more… if these are not killer softs, then please explain what a killer soft is for ya!

5. Erthazus

@4 I can’t play Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, LBP 2 without a controller?

Move titles like Time Crisis and Sorcery are OK, but not enough for my purchase.

6. DrDamn

Killer software which would give the PS3 enough momentum to overtake the 360. LBP2, SOCOM4 and Killzone 3 are going to be big titles for the PS3 – but is adding Move controls to these really the impetus to push the sales of the console itself? The three I’ve listed are all sequels too – which is pretty telling in this context.

What they need with Move is something as impressive to the masses as Wii Sports was when it was released. That single title sold a hell of a lot of Wii’s. Something that people will be willing to shell out for the console to have.

Sorcery is one I already had in mind as potentially interesting. It was a highlight of E3 for me. Again I don’t really see it being a massive system seller though. If they tied it in with a Harry Potter license of some sort possibly. It’s got potential – but it’s also still some way off.

7. _LarZen_

Im glad Move is coming and that Sony is releasing “normal” games for Move compared to all the crap coming to Kinect.

I have testet 2 diffrent 3D tv’s and its mind blowing good. Can understand people thinking its expensive tho…wait a few months and it wil be better.

Dunno with you but im gonna experience Crysis 2 and Killzone 3 in 3D!

8. AceTheGamer23

I like how confident Sony is and they got every right to be the work hard for it and they been last long enough and they have all of the developer on there team which is 40third parties teams,thats crazy thats basicly the whole industry and u dont hear that about microsoft Kinect developers see the protential Sony have in the PS3 they just starting to notice, At first they were skeptical an now they see the power of the PS3 and its like superman/Clark Kent and Xbox360 is Batman/Bruce Wayne is bill gate got all the money and gadget but no true power behind it Dont forget PS3 ONLY DOES EVERYTHING

9. ExclusivesMostly

@8: :) :) :)

10. Crysis

i plan on getting Move, but will never be able to afford a 3DTV til it’s obsolete or i win $1 mil

11. chronoss2

@5 :

I dunno if u have seen LBP playable with MOVE. it’s something very different from what we actually know. One player is holding the move and the other one a DS3 for brand new co-op missions. I personnally can’t wait to try this cause I really loved it first time I saw it. So no, you can’t play it with only DS3. with KZ3 and Socom, it’s gonna be much more immersive by just holding the Move Shooter in the right hand to aim, so all this really makes me optimistic. And we all agree concerning Sorcery ;)

Echochrome II, Sports Champions are other examples only playable with move, adding a brand new dimension to gaming called IMMERSION.

12. itwa5medicks

The biggest difference between sony and nintendo is ninetndo isnt trying to sell you TV’s to go with your wii or 3ds.

dicks!

13. itwa5medicks

I would really love to play heavy rain with move though, one reason I’m not selling it yet.