Sony reveals first PlayStation Plus content

Thursday, 24th June 2010 15:26 GMT By Joe Anderson

playstationlplus

Sony has revealed the first batch of content PlayStation Plus subscribers will benefit from should they sign up for the service.

Anyone paying £39.99 for the yearly subscription or £11.99 for the three-month subscription, will gain access to a free PSN game, two Mini titles and a PSone classic each month.

This is in addition to discounts on store items, and also free premium avatars and dynamic themes.

It was previously announced that any users signing up before August 3 will also receive a downloadable copy of LittleBigPlanet for free.

Here is the full list of items included for the first two months.

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd

• Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
  • PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
  • minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
  • PSone: Destruction Derby
  • Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
  • Discounts: LBP God of War Pack – 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack – 50%, Gravity Crash – 20%, Fat Princess DLC – 20%
  • Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
  • Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
  • Dynamic Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
  • 2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars

Month 2: August 4th – September 1st

• PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
  • minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
  • PSone: Medievil
  • Full Game Trial: inFamous, Mushroom Wars
  • Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50%, Super Stardust HD – 20%, WipeOutHD Fury – 20%
  • Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
  • Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
  • Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation Plus Dynamic Theme, Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
    2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)

Sony has posted a huge explanation of the service over on the EU PS Blog, which includes the curious quote of “Cross-game chat is not currently included in PlayStation Plus.”

1. MrBambinoDent

This is way less than what I was expecting from you Sony :(

Ah and this cross game chat thing is getting old and shame on you that you are still delaying this.

2. eutiagopato

nice :) really looking forward to plus

3. Blerk

So free(ish, actually rented) stuff is all you get at the minute? No extra features or anything?

Just say no, Playstation fans!

4. theevilaires

well the rental part could be for trophy whores really :D the other stuff is very meh because you don’t actually own it.

inFAMOUS as a trial game?….are they putting up full PS3 games over PSN now like XBOX games on demand?

5. Razor

Sony have screwed this up. Where are the new services? There’s nothing there. What a waste.

6. theevilaires

Well Razor its not like they are forcing you to buy it. Plus isn’t this just the EURO list. America should get better quality stuff right…since we are Americans and all ;)

7. Holesome

It seems this is a bullshit service designed to get people to buy in to the idea of paying for PSN services. It feels to me that Sony is trying to dig themselves out of a real deep hole they dug when they started offering PSN free. This will be a couple of year process to prepare PSN users for a fully paid PSN service perhaps when the PS4 releases.

8. Blerk

How is the “trial” version better than a demo? Doesn’t it just mean you have to download 6gb+ of game in order to discover you don’t really like it instead?

9. Erthazus

@7 I think not. As Blerk said somewhere here in some VG247 post. It was a strong selling point for Sony and it’s still strong selling point.

No one takes Free from you away.

10. theevilaires

They can never take free away without a devastating backlash until they have out sold the 360 world wide.

I do however think that if you are a die-hard PlayStation supporter and trophy whore you should support free online play buy purchasing PlayStation Plus. Do it for the kids guys!

11. Blerk

What? Are you mental? Fuck Sony, they owe you!

12. ivycrew707

Wheres the f%&King cloud storage, I was wanting this but without that…..ummmmmmmummmmm…..wonder if they get u in the ff14 beta

13. theevilaires

How do they owe me? I have enjoyed countless hours that accumulate into months time on free online multiplayer and they haven’t charged me a dime yet. Unlike M$ who easily could do the same goddamn thing with all those fucking McDonalds ads smeared all over the XBOX360 dashboard.

There are no ads on PSN XMB except for the whats new icon and even that is still only game related. You people who LOVE M$ so much need to really wake up and see that the grass is greener on the other side.

(and I dare you to tell me I’m lying and I’m a SONYBOT)

14. MrBambinoDent

Guys calm down …
    I’m really disappointed cause I waited for some features rather than content … but let’s hope it’ll get better

15. OlderGamer

Sony should have just annouced that all PSN usage will cost a monthly/yearly fee and left it that. This so muddies the PSN waters. And for what?

The fact is that running an online service costs a lot of cash. Maybe if they had toned down their arogant MS/Live bashing from the start … this would be easier for them to deal with. But they actualy convinced their fan base that charging fees for a service is unreasonable. And now they are stuck with needing to charge fees and have no real way to do it.

I say dunk this junk and roll out a proper PSN service plan. Also the truth is the number one thing that has value in being charged for is in fact the actual MP/Online gaming.

Don’t get yer panties in a bunch PS Defenders, but this is a mess. Imagine if this were MS Live plan being rolled out. You folks would die laughing.

I think it just sad, and really undefendable. No excuse for something like this.

Either be free and low ball, or be a premium service and charge for it. Can’t be both at the same time. Right now they are trying to add value where there isn’t any to add.

16. Gadzooks!

You are truly an embarrasment to all PS3 owners. You wont be for long though, the ignore button will silence you and the world will be a better place.

17. theevilaires

The money M$ makes off of LIVE subs they can at least make online play free on the weekends which is what they promised in the first place when they announced the 360….

…but people rather focus on giant enemy crabs :P

1.No ads on PSN or XMB. PS3 online play is free

2.M$ ads up the ass with Mcdonalds,IGN,Burger King,MTV, and still charging for online play ….HUH!?

1. PS3 can read all kinds of video,music,and photo types making it a paradise for people who pirated from torrents at no extra cost whatsoever.

2. XBOX360 can’t read most popular video formats, can’t even handle some very high res photos to be displayed, can’t send 1080P wallpapers to my friends in a message :( and I have to have a CD if I want MP3 files copied on my 360 HDD LMAO WTF?

1. PS3 lets you share your games up to 5 different PS3′s so if you and a trusted friend want to share the burden of buying things you can and still enjoy the games he buys and vice versa saving you hundreds per yer!

2. XBOX you can’t share shit not even a goddamn 1080P wallpaper to set as your back ground on your expensive gorgeous 1080p HDTV you just dropped $1500 or more on

NOW YOU TELL ME WHOS FUCKING WHO and WHO DESERVES A LITTLE THANKS IN RETURN. If you can afford the $50 people purchase at least one year of PLUS to show SONY your appreciation and to support the PSN community that can’t afford to but are great team members in multiplayer games you play together.

18. daytripper

i noticed today that the comment section was going pretty smooth

19. G1GAHURTZ

tea, I hate the 360 ads and the way that they force you to scroll through loads of rubbish just so that you can get to the only two sections that you want, most of the time(‘my xbox’ and ‘friends’).

But the PS3 does throw a load of annoying ads at you too. (Unless you’re still on a rolled back XMB, possibly…)

20. Gadzooks!

Give me a link to a document from MS saying they would ever make online play free.

“PS3 online play is free”

But doesnt offer the online tools that huge numbers of community gamers use regularly, isnt particularly integrated into the dash, doesnt enforce demos of downloadable games, has fucking awful support in EU, etc., etc.

Free online is good, but I prefer a well rounded service.

“XBOX360 can’t read most popular video formats”

I do all my media playing on 360 with no problems whatsoever.

“PS3 lets you share your games up to 5 different PS3’s”

“1080P wallpaper”

Who gives a fuck about wallpapers?

Get a perspective you corporate dick sucking kid.

21. threadzilla

@13 Right on

22. theevilaires

I agree G1GA I hate when I’m racing to the friends section only to miss you,Blerk,or Psychotext just sign off by a millisecond. the friends list sound be in the same with your XBOX stuff.

also I have the latest firmware man and the only ads I ever see are stuff in the PS store like Movies and Games. The only other thing I can think of is SPRINT a while ago and they paid the bill for every PS3 owner on PSN to download Rag Doll Kung Fu “FOR FREE!” Now thats some advertising!

I appreciated that kind of advertising so much when my 2 year contract was up with AT&T I went and joined SPRINT and got a Blackberry Curve on their network. Thats how you advertise.

Not fucking M$ with footlocker and McDonalds. Fast food is shit and footlocker is on the top ten ghetto shit list place I would never shop. So fuck off to them and M$. PSN is where I’ll be spending my money during this gen mostly.

23. ScreenTearing

I can’t understand why anyone would be bothered with PSN+ unless you are just another warrior on the great console war and lost half of your brain in the fight.

Sony didn’t remove any feature from PSN, so what’s the problem? You can still do all the stuff you did last month, so Jack Tretton killed your dog or something?

Do you guys also complain and ask someone to don’t subscribe to GameFly or other rental services? Talk about “old” man yelling at clouds…

24. OlderGamer

I hate the Ads on xbl no doubt. Good point.

But, PSN does have ads too. Just not as bad.

Also, if free was working so good for Sony?

Why is there now a PSN+?

25. daytripper

the ads must be the US Xbox Live because all I see on the Euro one are links to downloads or streaming videos of interviews or IGNs Jessica Chobot looking quite bummable and Inside Xbox.

26. theevilaires

SEEK HELP FOR DENIAL KID!

ME: “XBOX360 can’t read most popular video formats”

U: I do all my media playing on 360 with no problems whatsoever.

Truth: Well you must have all your videos Coded at WMV because XBOX360 has no issues with that format…but some AVI,MP4,XVID,DIVX,and especially my beautiful 1080P M2TS files I think not KID.

ME: “PS3 lets you share your games up to 5 different PS3’s”

U: You cheapass little shit you should be ashamed of yourself. Those devs deserve cash, not pikey game sharing.

Translation: Waaaaaaaah! :( its not fair I get raped for the over priced MW2 map packs while you and your PlayStation buddies can share waaaaaaaaaah! :D Oh and for your 411 I don’t game share with anyone because I already have 3 PS3′s and I don’t trust people with my account.

ME: “1080P wallpaper”

U: Who gives a fuck about wallpapers?
    Get a perspective you corporate dick sucking kid.

Owning your ass to the day you RR2D :D : I care about 1080P wallpapers, my friends on my list care because they love and appreciate art too. We love to see a shot of our favorite games splashed beautifully across our 40″+ 1080P XMBs unlike the 360 which can’t even produce a native 1080p dashboard resolution and covers the wallpapers in some strange grey boarder.

Your problem is you can’t recognize greatness,excellence,and superiority(aka the PS3)when you see it. Which leads me to believe you’re most likely a racist little fuck too. I think you better do yourself a favor and instead of “jump in” M$ anus you jump out. Your denial is rotting away what little brain you have left not that you had much to start with anyway :D

27. daytripper

no need for all of this, its video games for fuck sake.

28. xino

I really urge UK gamers to avoid this ripp off!
    We already have Wip3out HD and Little Big Planet. Yet they want us to have the same game.

People should not support this ripp off by not buying this PSN premium

29. DrDamn

Or … people could base their purchases on their own circumstances rather than yours.

30. reask

I am in the Sony camp on this one actually.
    I mean you get free games to play that you might never try otherwise.
    The 1 hour trial lets you continue from where you left off.
    I reckon I will at least try the 3 months option and if I like it I will probably stay with it.
    After all when all is said and done I pay MS 60 Euro a year for nothing but online play and have never had an issue with it.

31. Koncept6454

theevilaires I have to agree with you completely, I’ve owned a ps3 for a good few years now and have never had a problem with online play, yet when I go round my mates house the connection on the 360 is lagey on games like MW2. I’m completely buying into PSN+ because you get games in a package that costs less then Live, live has never anyone anything for free, apart from a red ring and you’re out of pocket £200.
    I work for game and see people everyday bringing back broken Xboxs, we hardly ever get broken PS3s, and with all this cross game chat, I’m sorry but I really don’t care, I have friends in my friends list, but I don’t miss talking to them when I’m playing other games. It’s easy enough to get into a game with them and that’s all I care about.
    I think if they’re giving £200 pounds worth of content for the price of £40 pound I’m not getting ripped off, and by the looks of it, the price of the stuff you’re getting in the first two months passes the price tag of £40, so everything from there on out is free stuff as far as I’m concerned.

32. reask

Just a question folks.
    Is that KZ2 stuff the extra maps for free?

33. Koncept6454

at 32: yeh man!!!
    I already have it, but still

34. frostquake

According to PS Blog,
    “The “free” games you can download each month are yours to keep for as long as you are a subscriber.”

So Say I get Field Runners, PSP Mini Free with Subscription and transfer to my PSP. Then my subscription expires, the game will quit working on my PSP? Called Sony, they told me that the games you get for the PSP Free, you will have to connect to the Sony Network before being allowed to play them, that they will check to see if your subscription is active…REALLY!!! That is Crazy, and a HUGE ASS HASSLE…Sometimes where I have my PSP is no WiFi, so they said I wouldn’t be able to play those Free Games on my PSP that I got through PLUS!

This service sounds like a HUGE HASSLE!!!

35. reask

Nice one Koncept. thanks

36. theevilaires

Koncept post more we need more good people like you here :D

37. bytemap

Finally at least I got an honest answer from all that bashing on both platforms. All I wanted to know was if the term that you keep your “free” games for as long as your a subscriber.

If I bought it, no matter if I’m a subscriber, I should keep it. This sounds more like a rental program than anything else.

that’s all I needed to hear, thanks again.

38. Demiath

I’m not philosophically opposed to paying for online extras..but it’s got to be better stuff than this (buying “discounts” for games? No thanks!). Try again, Sony…

39. StolenGlory

I’m a PS3 owner and I can quite honestly say that Playstation Plus can kiss my ass. It offers nothing to me that is even remotely compelling.

I’ll stick with my ‘standard’ free-online multiplayer thanks.

As always it comes down to personal preference. If those offerings appeal to you, then by all means go for it, but I just found nothing there that appeals to me really.

*Doing my best to avoid the fanboy flamebait here, so give me points for effort*. :)