Report – Microsoft racer Joy Ride to launch with Natal

Saturday, 5th June 2010 17:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

joyride

Microsoft’s arcade racer Joy Ride is being reported as a Natal launch title by a retail source close to CVG.

According to the retailer, it is to be made available for Natal at launch later in the year, but pricing as yet to be determined.

“The hope for us is that it will be a boxed release – we’re still in the dark on that one – but it’s definitely for Natal and will definitely be here for launch,” the source said.

“We’ve been told it will no longer be free to play, but that it’s been completely reworked into a bigger, richer game than before. They’re putting the final touches to it now. The biggest thing for us is that it just works with Natal’s racing controls. We’re reliably informed it’s very intuitive.”

The source also implied that it will be revealed during the Natal event on June 13.

The game is currently in development at BigPark, which was acquired by Microsoft last May, which debuted the Avatar racer at E3 the following month.

It was announced at the event that it would be
a free download
, but you would have to purchase cars and tracks.

Originally slated for release in 2009, Microsoft told CVG that instead it planned to “bring BigPark’s vision to life in 2010″, but that there was “nothing further to announce at this time”.

Guess we’ll find out in a fee days, we reckon. Until then, check out the video of it from E3 2009.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

A driving NATAL game where you have to hold up hands for 5 minutes minimal in the air.. wow so fun!

2. AHA-Lambda

I cant believe they now want you to pay for this -_-

3. Erthazus

Owwww… Snap.
    So basically from the start it was a free game, then Microsoft thought: Duh, lets make it for Natal and make it a retail/XBLA version then.

I don’t see Microsoft moving Natal… Well, maybe Justin Bieber will help them at Microsoft Press conference.

4. NoxNoctisUmbra

@3 So only lil girls and gay guys will buy Natal , I will agree because it was a FAIL device since last year info. Shit.. at least SONY shows some games with MOVE even if its in ALPHA stages, all we got from NATAL is BALL game and painting game.. wow, someting that PS2 EYE camera could do!!!

5. mathare92

:D

6. AHA-Lambda

oh god the horror the horror

EDIT: Actually just to see natal as a device that anyone can use and all that I want an MS exec to act like just as much of a tit as that family in the video whilst playing natal >_>

7. xino

instant fail!
    just like how they want us to pay for 3d patch for PAIN

8. Erthazus

@5 AHAHAHAHAHHAA :D :D LOOOL!

Nicely done sir! This was just EPIC!

Not to mention that Ricochet game works really bad and not responsive at all. :D

Everybody go to that link xD

9. Amored

Wow. I don’t see why all of you are whining and bitching like that. If you have a problem with paying for games, you should continue downloading games for the PC or whatever. If you got a problem with Natal, you should have a problem with the Wii.
    I’m amazed by how well Erthazus knows how Ricochet works, as he most likely never tried it.

Seems everybody is a Sony fanboy these days.

10. Gekidami

The problem is more to do with the fact that the game was announced as being free, and now it isnt. Its got nothing to do with paying for games as a whole.

“If you got a problem with Natal, you should have a problem with the Wii.”

Yeah, because theres just SOOOO much Wii love about, isnt there?

11. Amored

“It was announced at the event that it would be
    a free download, but you would have to purchase cars and tracks.”
    This kinda means you didn’t get the game for free at all. It’s more like a demo, and you would have to upgrade through micro-transactions, which is lame. I’d rather pay for the game, a get a real game experience, than get something very limited for free.

I love my Wii. Just like i love my Xbox 360 and my PS3.

I believe Natal will be fun, and many great games will be released supporting it. Sure there’ll be shit-games too, but I don’t think there’ll be more shit-games for Natal, than what’s been released for the PS3 + X360 so far. Anyways, it’s stupid to bash Natal before it’s released, or even finished. I’m sure we’ll see something great at E3.

Also, about Ricochet being unresponsive, it’s not like that fighting game and the gladiator game for Move is any more responsive. It seemed pretty sluggish. But I really don’t care, as neither of them are are gold yet.

12. DJ Deathstar

Yeah it was originally announced as being a free game with a couple of karts and a track or two, with you having to pay for extra tracks and karts if you want. I’m pretty sure theres gonna be alot more to it now!

13. frostquake

Fail Epically !!

14. Erthazus

Microsoft had great thing to make Joy Ride free for Xbox 360 owners. Now, they will charge for it because it is a Natal title. That is too much fail.

By the way, Ricochet? Judging by that video it is not responsive at all. There is a huge lag.

15. reask

I reckon a lot of folks are missing the point on Move and Natal.
    If it doesn’t sell gazillions day one it will be heralded as a fail in some folks eyes.
    I reckon MS and Sony have a more long term view on this.
    In a year or so when the library’s are decent the family that wants the all round experience are more than likely to pass on the Wii and get either 360 or PS3.

Imagine the average family down the road looking to buy a console and the hubby wants to blow shit up and the missus wants to keep fit or just dance.
    Will it be the Wii? I think not.
    I always said Ninty slipped up on that front when they had the momentum with them.
    In a years time the move and Natal will have been tweaked to perfection imo and will eat in to the casual market.

Just my tuppence worth.

16. mathare92

@15. Good post mate.

17. Patrick Garratt

@16 – +1

18. Amored

Well said, reask :)

19. reask

Thanks guys. :)

20. The Hindle

Aye spot on Reask, many people think Nintendo are invincible now but i disagree as the market Nintendo have got is very fickle soon as the next craze comes along they will abandon Nintendo and as N have abandoned the hardcore where is that going to leave them.

21. cookiejar

Now i’ve played ModNation Racers, my appetite for Joy Ride has faded.

Still, be interested in what it looks like now.

22. AHA-Lambda

i think any excitement for joy ride evaporated the day after it was announced when MNR was announced and looked WAAAY better

23. Boris Fett

Unless Move and Natal get bundled as standard in every new PS3 / 360, they are both destined to fail.

It would be like selling a Wii without the Wii-Mote.

24. Amored

@23 – Wii MotionPlus didn’t fail.

25. AHA-Lambda

It didnt really do that great either though as far as I am aware =/

26. Amored

July 2009 it had already sold nearly 500k. Which is pretty great.

27. AHA-Lambda

yeah but think of the attach rate for that. How many wiis are out there in total worldwide? By percentage how many have wii motion plus?

And there’s also hardly any games for it either O_o

I’m sure as crap as it looks even natal will push more than 500k w/ MS’ marketing

EDIT: actually ignore me i thought you meant to date but you said july 09 not july 10, whoops :P

28. Amored

Hehe. Anyhoo, I’m getting both Natal and Move eventually, no matter what (already have MotionPlus) :D

29. Gadzooks!

There is very little lag at all.

30. JonFE

Please, don’t burst his bubble Gadzooks!