Bodycount: “Make sure you actually have a story”, says Black

Friday, 4th June 2010 19:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bodycount2

Bodycount bossman Stuart Black has said that one of the lessons the team learned from Black was to make sure the game you are working on actually has “a story”.

Speaking with Joystiq, the lead developer said that since it was the first shooter the team had ever worked on, it was a learning experience for all involved, and this time around, it seems more prepared.

“Make sure you actually have a story, have a better sense of progression,” he said regarding what the team has learned.

“It was the first shooter for all of us making that, so it was a big, big learning experience for all of us. I think we were right to be very focused on that core shooting, but we could have done more with that sense of progression, more sense of a journey, and pacing to the combat.

“So we’re very conscious of doing that [with Bodycount]. We started with that foundation of “here’s all the things we learned from Black,” so we can focus on that progression, that sense of story, and create a more holistic package than before.

“First, games in general, it’s about the doing. It’s the interaction that makes it special. And interaction and story aren’t very good things to match up. There needs to be enough story to justify what I’m doing, gives me a reason for what I’m doing.

“I think a lot of stories get caught up in plots and being convoluted. It’s about characters. It’s about identifying somebody and going on a journey with them.”

Sounds cool, and you know it has to be because Stuart Fucking Black himself said all this.

Bodycount is due out for 360 and PS3 early next year.

1. A4-F8

errrrrm cant say anything about this game yet

2. mathare92

Well, story was almost non-existent in MW2… but I get what you mean Mr.Black

3. xino

this guy has been mouthing off since!

he just sounds too confident that Body Count will blow out nearly all FPS gameplays:/

because if this game fails, this man will have to eat up all his words.
    He sounds like the American Itagaki

4. YoungZer0

I completely agree with him. I don’t know about you guys but I need a motivation to continue a game. If i miss that, the game will miss me.

5. frostquake

Ditto, I completely agree with him, though it seems everyone else is getting away from stories…sigh.

6. DaMan

please, Mr.Black – make sure those videos ‘re skippable this time.

7. jamjam

Are you sure he didn’t actually say:

“Fucking make sure you actually have a fucking story, have a better sense of fucking progression fuckheads”?

’cause it seems very rare for this man to be quoted without swearing every third word…

8. AHA-Lambda

@ 7 – XD

9. Freek

“It’s in the press release overe there……yes, it’s one that says Bad Motherfucker on it…”