Capcom no longer working with western devs on new IP

Monday, 17th May 2010 10:46 GMT By Johnny Cullen

bioniccommando

Capcom president Haruhiro Tsujimota has said the company will no longer be looking at western-based developers for new intellectual properties.

Speaking with the FT, Tsujimota-san said the company’s Japanese arm will now build any new creations, with western-based studios to make either sequels and ports only.

“As a group, the new titles where development was led from abroad didn’t do so well,” he said.

Tsujimota’s comments come on the back of the recent releases of Airtight’s Dark Void and GRIN’s Bionic Commando reboot, neither of which performed to expectations.

Despite that, western studios are still at work for massive sequels for the company, with Canada’s Blue Castle Games working on Dead Rising 2 alongside dev boss Keiji Inafune.

Tsujimota also said he has yet to see Nintendo’s 3DS up and running, but is “interested” in the handheld. He added that both Microsoft and Sony need to show its business models for how they intend to launch their motion controllers, Natal and Move, this fall.

“If there isn’t a strong business model message from the platform holders about how they will develop [motion controllers] with users, then I don’t think it will go well,” he said.

Thanks, 1UP.

1. Gheritt White

Bionic Commando was an overlooked gem, IMHO. One of my fave games this gen and defo worthy of a sequel.

2. polygem

the xbl game yes. the full title was mediocore. also lost planet 2 fucked up. it´s not superbad but not as good as it could have been. lost planet as a franchise has an enormous potential and they pretty much failed to concentrate on that potential. they just made some weird design choices that ruined the experience as a whole for me. dark void was crap too. i think he´s right. the sooner they stop outsourcing the development the better…i want some capcom glory back…

3. Gheritt White

TI was talking about the full title, the one in 3D. Bonkers plot but sublime gameplay, especially towards the end.

4. Blerk

Capcom need to give themselves a good hard kick up their own arses. If that’s even physically possible. Maybe with portals.

5. Erthazus

@1 I think it was not good game at all. Repetitive and very short. Not to mention about stupid things like when you are going somewhere you need less then 6-7 seconds or you will die.

6. Gheritt White

You’re perfectly entitled to your opinion Erthazus (and I appreciate that BC was not a great game by many people’s standards), but I’m not sure why you directed your comment at me?

7. OlderGamer

I give Capcom credit. They recognize that western styled/flavoured development is important, that games considered too JP don’t sell well outside of JP regions. However they seem not to understand how to make a game western enough.

Like one of you said wierd design choices. It will be that or strange artistic designs. Or chars that where school girl outfits. Chars that look like left over 80s Glam Metal rockers. Chars that are underaged. Or Monsters that look lame instead of western looking aliens/undead/or whatever they have mutant looking stuff that would be at home in a bad B-movie. On the whole none of that fits.

Much of it falls into already over done cliche’s.

And their storys(and to be honest, most Capcom games are better then much of their fellow JP games)…

The thing is, with Capcom, and with many JP games. The gameplay is still rock solid and air tight. I can tell you that Phantasy Star Universe has all of those stupid things I described, but also has the best action RPG gameplay that I have ever played on a console. Its near perfect. (Yes I know it is a Sega game, but as an example). And many of Capcoms games do the same thing.

Lost Planet plays wonderfully, but in playing it, there are a few things that just don’t feel right. That can be said for many of their games.

I feel that much of what comes out of JP has this problem. Lest Capcom has been trying to do something about it. I think it is maybe less to do with western devs making games for them, and more to do with the new IP line they have. Surly if Epic did the next Lost Planet, for example, we would have a borderline classic.

8. Bulk Slash

I think Capcom’s biggest problem is that they’re trying to please the Western market. Resident Evil 5 was seemingly dumbed down to a 3rd person action game to compete with the likes of Gears of War, totally abandoning what made the series so good.

The Lost Planet games are obsessed with trying to be Halo and totally forget to include a compelling single player experience. Same goes for Dead Rising 1.

Capcom are at their best when making games their way e.g. DMC4, Street Fighter IV, etc. Trying to emulate the style of Western games means so far we’ve got the worst of both worlds. Capcom should stop pandering to the market and follow their own instincts (if they have any left).

9. Filofax

You make it sound like anything that comes out of Japan is an instant failure in the western market, not everything needs that western touch. Look at Bayonetta this is a Japanese game through and through, and the western market loved it. If everything was a western game we would be stuck with endless first/third person shooters, and the new flavour of the month sandbox games. Hey lets not blame the devs lets blame the IP, fact is developers in the west can make mistakes just like their Japanese counterparts. You must have a very short memory if you think that everything Japanese game studios have brought to gaming over the years has been received poorly in the west.

10. freedoms_stain

The gameplay and difficulty challenge in Bayonetta was awesome but I honestly cringed through every single cutscene.

Turns out transposing the personality of Dante to a female didn’t work as well as the core gameplay mechanics.

11. BillyBatts

Genuine question; How does it work the other way around? Which western franchises work in Japan? For example, is Gears ‘big in Japan’?

12. OlderGamer

Bayonetta was too eastern. Its another example of what I was driving at. The gameplay is tight, but the presentation is all wrong. Dantes Inferno or Bayonetta? ‘Nuff said.

Of course western devs make mistakes.

But.

How much influence do you think Capcom had over said western developed games? I bet a lot. If the people paying for your services are demanding this or that, your going to cave.

“anything that comes out of Japan is an instant failure in the western market” – Didn’t say that.

“if you think that everything Japanese game studios” – Didn’t say that either.

“If everything was a western game we would be stuck with endless first/third person shooters, and the new flavour of the month sandbox games” – I dissagree. Although if the top mega selling games in a region are shooters, and you want to compete in that region, it stands to reason that you need to offer something in a shooter that can indeed compete.

I don’t hate JP games. And trust me, I have played more games then most. And in the end have prolly played more eastern games then western over the years. However in recent trends, the games out of JP have been lacking. The top selling games this gen in the NA market have been western games. By a landslide.

And really it has less to do with where the studio is located and more to do with the style the studio is making their games in. And I think that JP is begining to understand this. Look at Nier, in west, adult hero. In east, child hero. Our markets out size the JP one. If they want to capture sales here they need to make games that can compete here.

Years ago, most western devs made PC games. PC and consoles where light years apart. And very few western devs could compete with JP ones. But times have drasticly changed.

If I had to over generalize and break down games, I would say that in gameplay most JP games are still solid. But their artistic style is offputting. Their story telling is stale. Their presentation is underwhelming. Their lack of understanding in terms of MP is staggering.

Some people like to say that all the west makes is FPS and sandbox. First off sandbox is brilliant. So much value and replay value there. Much rather have a Red Dead or a Fallout then a FF one and done take me by the hand journey.

There really is no right right or wrong, it boils down to preferance and taste.

But fact is JP is struggling on PS3/Xbox360 in terms of competing with the big name western games. JP owns the Wii and handheld markets, which is prolly better suited to their gaming/pop culture anyways.

13. OlderGamer

@Billy

I agree with where your going.

Eastern and western Markets mey well get to the point where they are no longer compatible with each other. Some games right now aren’t.

But you need to understand that JP won’t buy western game systems. It isn’t really about quality or game styles. It is about where the things are made. They didn’t buy xbox one, they don’t buy xbox360, and they won’t buy xbox next.

SQE didn’t even put their new FF on xbox360 in JP. Only on PS3. They are very closed off that way.

14. Gheritt White

@ OG: I believe that’s a false stereotype. After all, the Japanese are not averse to buying Californian computers and consumer electronics (Apple) or European cars.

I think it all boils down to hardware form-factor and build quality. If something is built to last, runs quietly, isn’t too big and looks pretty, then there’s no reason Western hardware wouldn’t sell in the East.

15. DaMan

true, ie both the iPhone and Android are huge success in JP. and that’s despite all the other competing handhelds/smartphones they have there.

16. Erthazus

@OG, the problem is in the culture only.
    Bayonetta btw was too JP, it’s the style of JP games like Devil May Cry and e.t.c. It is the style of ANIME

Japanese gamers like Anime stuff and i like it too, i know that Final Fantasy XIII flopped really hard (and in my opinion it is the worst Final FAntasy game ever) but you must understand that recession killed the most technologically advanced country. Now they are trying to survive and still making great tech products.

but what about The Last guardian? What about Kingdom Hearts team game like Final Fantasy XIII Versus that could be a definition of FF games now?
    What about FF 14 MMO and e.t.c. Japanese gaming industry will survive and maybe not this generation where everybody slowly trying to develop for HD consoles, but next generation everything can dramatically change.

17. OlderGamer

During the 80s US cars would sit in the docks of JP unable to unload. Sometimes for months, sometimes for longer. I feel there is still a great deal of that still there. I had some family that was stationed in JP for a couple of years while in the Air Force. They would back me up on this.

It is less that they hate the west, and more that they choose to suport their own products. Nothing overtly wrong with that really(not like a US Xbox is manufactured in the US anyways). But I think there feeling at the consumer and even at the development levels is that their products are better. Thats ok too.

But while they are happy with their games, they can’t understand why the same said games don’t move in other markets. Games have evolved. JP games face stiff competition from outside game devs. And the JP games seem to remain very traditional.

I think years ago western gamers played JP games because in all honestly there wasn’t much else to play. That has greatly changed.

Some of JPs own game devs understand this. Unfortuanatly, some do not.

18. Gheritt White

In truth, American-built cars don’t sell at all in Europe, either. They’re just too big for our roads and have comparatively poor mile/gallon ratios. To the best of my knowledge, BMW and Mercedez have never had trouble selling their cars in Japan.

In this way, American cars are much like JP games – they’ve just not evolved over the last fifteen years and are unwilling to adapt to local tastes at the expense of the home nations’ expectations. Similarly, J-games are so stat/turn obsessed and uniform in art style that they really only appeal to their home market.

So, it’s not so much jingoism as creating products that have a universal appeal. How else do you account for Apple’s international popularity?

19. AHA-Lambda

this mean the DMC 5/ninja theory rumour is bull then?

20. Johnny Cullen

What Capcom mean is that any new IPs it intends to make will be done now by its Japanese arm, not those in the west.

Studios in the west – like Blue Castle doing Dead Rising 2 – are allowed to sequels and stuff with any established Capcom IP.

For the record, I asked Ninja Theory’s Tameem Antoniades about that in an interview in Barcelona last week, but I can’t really say anything yet as it’s still under embargo until next Monday.

21. Crimsoneer

@18 Spot on. Jp games, like Corvettes and Chevies, just don’t work outside their home market. It’s got little to do with protectionism and everything to do with a failure to move on.

22. OlderGamer

I guess that might be right GW.

Because as an American I don’t see US cars as having a stuck in the past problem. I imagine the same is true for JP gamers when thinking about their own games.

23. Gheritt White

Have you ever visted Europe, OG? Narrow roads, cramped parking spaces, expensive fuel and lots of roundabouts. Not well suited for a Buick, as I’m sure you can imagine. Most European cars look like little eggs on wheels in comparison to the grander, wider American cars. They look impressive, but they’re not very practical and are expensive to maintain.

That said, we’re only talking models here. Ford, Chrysler and GM all make Euro-only cars that dominate the market (in the UK, at least). Maybe JP game makers should look to American car manufacturers for inspiration.

I suppose the ideal solution would be to have a Western designed, Japanese built game to get the best of both worlds.

24. PS3_Rules

Capcom needs to stick with it’s fighting games, Super Street Fighter 4 is great as I’m sure Marvel vs Capcom 3 will be brilliant, but games like Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 2, Dark Void and Dead Rising 2 will always be garbage.

I haven’t play a good Resident Evil since Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Resident Evil 4 & 5 were both huge disappointments in the series as I loved the first 3 games as well, although I’d kinda like to see them remake a Dino Crisis providing it’s not a disappointment like Resident Evil 4 & 5 were.

25. Gheritt White

That reminds me – we need a Power Stone revival!

26. PS3_Rules

Indeed!

27. MushroomStamp

Capcom lost their mojo years ago and hasn’t made a great game in years. They are masters of the Niche’ market but can’t make great games for the masses anymore. They are stuck in the past.

28. DaMan

btw, Older funnily enough after all the western feedback Squenix got, they ‘ve released the original bishounen skin of Nier, heh.

I wholeheartedly agree about Bayonetta’s narrative btw, I liked the female Dante, and I enjoyed it’s plot and everything actually, albeit I can see how ie NA audience could actually ‘cringe’ due to it’s hardcore oriental style. but no matter how you look at it, they should seriously consider doing some research on stotytelling. the plot was okay, but it was actually badly told . though, in all fairness western titles of the same genre ‘re lacking as much in combat mechanics. tap circle to win is no way of doing a slasher game, both Capcom and Tecmo got that right from the beginning.