BT signs exclusive deal with OnLive for UK

Thursday, 13th May 2010 08:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

onlivelogo

BT (British Telecom) has been chosen as the exclusive partner to OnLive in the UK.

The company’s also bought a 2.6 percent share in OnLive.

The deal will see BT package the service with its broadband packages in the UK when it launches sometime in the region this year. The company says it will share more details on the move and its launch plans “later this year”.

“Entertainment is going to be at the heart of what we offer customers in the future,” BT boss Gavin Patterson said. “It’s great for our customers – they’ll have access to a huge catalogue of games, available instantly on their TV or PC without expensive hardware.”

OnLive CEO Steve Perlman said of the deal: “The UK market is extremely important to OnLive and our video game publishing partners as we expand into Europe. We view BT as the ideal UK partner.”

He further added in a separate post on the OnLive blog: “We’re really excited about OnLive’s potential in Europe, and looking forward to kicking it off in the UK through our partnership with BT.”

OnLive is due for launch in the US next month.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. ninjanutta

Bad move,BT are the most expensive and have copper phone lines that carry their broadband,this is going to be really crap,they should of gone with virgin,at least they are mainly fibre optic and far more stable for broadband.

2. justiceblob

This is a great move for them. If it weren’t for for the fact that only just half of the country has the appropriate broadband speed required

3. Blerk

I’m sure this’ll pay off for them big-time. In about 2015 or so.

4. Madlink

It would have been great to see OnLive partner with Virgin as they already provide a really great service, but BT do offer fibre optic services. http://www.bt.com/infinity

By 2012, hopefully 50% of the UK will be able to get these services and then actually using OnLive might not be too horrendous.

I just wish I lived somewhere you could get Virgin or BT Infinity.:(

5. DarkDevil

i think this will be with natal ,

the fail of the year

6. Filofax

@1 Virgin’s fibre optic broadband has a very small coverage area, and BT do have fibre optic but that is only available to a very small percentage. The sad fact of the matter is that most of the UK’s broadband services still run on the old copper system, which is probably why BT was chosen.

Not that it matters anyway, I don’t really see this taking off in Europe or anywhere else for the foreseeable future.
    Like Blerk says come back in 2015 when broadband has better coverage and the limits imposed by ISP’s will no longer be a problem.

7. endgame

exciting. can’t wait for the service to be launched in Europe. it will probably happen in a year or so but hey, better late than never, right!? :)

@Filofax I bet a lot of ppl said that about Steam. and that’s why u and that lot of ppl r sore losers who nobody knows anything about (u probably live in caves or under some rocks) while guys like Gabe and Steve swim and will swim respectively in a pool of cash.

8. OlderGamer

I can not wait for some cloud based gaming.

If it works resonably well it could change the face of video games forever.

9. Aimless

Well, if it helps to encourage them to improve the UK’s rubbish ‘net infrastructure then I’m all for it. Can’t say I’ve much interest in OnLive itself, though.

Actually that’s not strictly true: I find the service interesting, I’ve simply no desire to use it.

10. Filofax

@endgame I never mentioned steam, the fact of the matter is that most of Europe is just not up to speed with broadband to support this. But if it’s bets you want I will bet it fails miserably, here’s a thought do you think Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony will support this? Not a bloody chance there is too much money caught up in consoles at the moment and that is another thing that will go against this.

11. Dannybuoy

That’s another reason why onlive will fail. BT SUCK! The greatest day of my life was when I swapped my BT line for a sky line. No more BT bills for me! Free of BT’s stranglehold!!

12. pleasant_cabbage

You can get it over any ISP, just BT are the official partners as such.

13. endgame

@Filofax lol. 1st of all let me tell u that pretty much everyone in Europe has a good enough internet connection to play on onlive. standard def requires like 1MB if I remember correctly. 2nd of all, all those big companies supporting online or not? nobody gives a fuck! they don’t support steam either and I don’t see steam failing. which means that the current number of PC gamers is enough to sustain the service. that’s common sense. idk why I’m telling u this. but anyway, u need to think further, the current number of PC gamers that can play games is NOTHING compared to the number of PC gamers that will be able to play games through onlive. do I also have to tell u why? seriously, I have important stuff to do, cba talking to u newbies.

14. Dannybuoy

@12. Oh yeah just read that.

15. freedoms_stain

BT can’t deliver the connection Onlive requires as it stands, and they probably won’t be able to for quite some time.