ODST beats Reach Beta in Live rankings, MW2 bests them both

Wednesday, 12th May 2010 09:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

odst3

Halo: ODST may have included a code for the Reach Beta, but most purchasers clearly got stuck at “stage one” of Bungie’s master plan.

More people were playing ODST than Reach on Live last week, weirdly. Maybe some were put off by the 50 billion terrabyte download to play Bungie’s latest.

It was all academic, anyway. Modern Warfare 2 still rules online 360 play.

Top ten below for the week commencing May 3. Nelson’s got a fuller list.

• Modern Warfare 2
  • Halo 3: ODST
  • Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta (Pre-order the game)
  • Halo 3
  • Call of Duty: WaW
  • FIFA 10
  • Battlefield Bad Co. 2
  • GTA IV (Purchase the full game for direct download)
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Gears of War 2

1. Gekidami

But you have to pass by ODST to access Reach…

2. RoarrrUK

Gekidami’s right. You load the ODST disc and from there boot into the Reach Beta. It would seem logical then, that ODST ranks above Reach.

3. NGCes26294BIV

Yeah. As above.

4. sennasnit

However, as Reach appears on the list they must know how many people actually progressed onto playing Reach, and didn’t just stay on ODST? or am I missing something.

5. Lutz

Yup. ODSTs true figure would be whatever was stated, less the Reach Beta figure. Dropping it wa-ay back down the list.

6. G1GAHURTZ

Some people may just have not decided to play the beta after seeing the size of the download.

7. theevilaires

so much for the halo name now :D

8. reask

Played it a bit and its very good actually.
    Odd ball is a blast on it.
    Grab the Skull and hold it for as long as possible.
    Fu**ing pure mayhem. :)

9. polygem

this game is so good. since the beta came out i play it every day, even if i don´t have that much time at the moment (unfortunately) i´ll manage to play at least 2 or 3 grab bag matches. for me it´s like 3 grab bag games a day keeps the doctor away. it´s extremely addictive gameplay and cleverly, smooth and slick designed. a true videogame masterpiece. i don´t want to sound like a fanboy but in this case i will. this game seems to become perfect. multiplayerwise it cannot become much better this gen. of course it is a matter of taste and some people will continue to hate halo and will still prefer other shooters but i love the new things added to the franchise. i will finally become a true halo lover it seems.

10. itsucks

where is your killown3d now, lol.

11. ExclusivesMostly

@10: it’s Killzone 3 (I know you did that purposely, just saying). Oh and it will be at E3. I love the fact that halo exists, it forces the competition to release superb games and I couldn’t be happier as a gamer.

12. Gekidami

The beta is decent, i like that weapons fell abit more realistic. Though i still hate the ‘bullet sponge’ side of the game.

13. reask

Each to there own itsucks :)
    I played some KZ2 on-line and its pretty decent as well.

14. Dralen

After playing games like Modern Warfare and Battlefield, it’s pretty hard for me to go back to the bullet sponge games like Halo. It’s alot more satisfying and less stressful when it takes less bullets to kill someone.

15. reask

Dralen said:

LMAO :D

16. The Hindle

Have they made Halo more relistic? I once emptied an entire clip into someone and they didnt die and they little bugger turned round and killed me straight away. :D

17. reask

Afraid not TH its still the same.

18. The Hindle

Dam ill still be crap then :D

19. Gekidami

I mean more realistic in the way that guns fell less like BB guns this time. But it still takes an insane amount of bullets to kill someone, more then i remember infact.

20. Shonak

Yeah, they should cancel the shields, I’d play it everyday. But it takes sometimes ages to kill someone. I prefer BFBC2, espiecally now that a Horde (aka Onslaught) Modi is coming. <3

21. polygem

it indeed still takes a lot of bullets to get a kill. this always turned me off in halo. but i never really gave the game a true chance i must admit. in the first reach matches i again thought. well it´s nice but somehow strange – don´t know….but the new abilities kept me hooked this time and after some hours playing it clicked and i really started to love it. for the gamemodes they offer this system is just perfect. it´s very very satisfying to get a kill and it´s actually not that hard if you just practice and change the playstyle you are used to from other more realistic shooters. now i really think the gameplay is very close to perfect. you can´t really compare it to other shooters though. but it´s really really cool. it´s a great game in the true meaning of the word game. it´s not trying to be a realistic warfare shooter but concentrates on the overall fun experience. in almost every other shooter i experience frustrations sometimes – not that i´m bad at shooters – but the death – spawn rhythm can be annoying sometimes. haven´t experienced that in reach yet. i don´t mind if i die. i´m actually happy, because i can pick a new ability -jetpack to the bastard that just killed me and shoot him in the face. love it.

22. reask

You know Polygem I went back tonight and played this beta again having played R2 for the last couple of days.
    I have to agree with you on every point you make.
    But the thing I found the most was that this game is fun and good fun at that.
    Sure it is hard to get that kill if you just spray and hope but as you say you just have to change your game play.

I love the odd ball mode and grab the bag which are so unique in a way.
    I never got in to the online halo thing in the past but I have a feeling I will be playing this one when it comes out.

Not knocking any other games btw as I know one persons poison is another’s blah blah but if you enjoy on line play I would check this out.

23. Holesome

So… I too wonder if the loading of ODST to access Reach is skewing the statz or if the counts are coming from an actual match start.

Halo fanbase is divided between 3 halo titles at the moment but the combined is huge. If out add up the three (ODST, REACH, 3) the total would likely be over well over MW2+.

The fact that Reach is a beta and is so high up the list is perhaps a sign of how strong the final Reach sales may be.

24. ysleiro

Those complaining of how long it takes to kill someone when playing Halo need to understand:

-Since when was halo a “Realistic shooter”?
    -It takes “skill” to repeatedly and accurately hit a person that is trying to dodge your shots. Let alone land a head shot.
    -In my opinion those that dislike how long it takes to kill someone in Halo are the ones that “suck” at it.
    -Call of Duty and all this other crap rely too much on “luck” and positioning to determine who has the advantage. Meaning the element of surprise is by far the biggest factor on any scenario.

PS. You guys should try out the Swat gametype in Halo: Single headshot = death.

PPS. I realize “luck”/surprise isn’t everything in COD. All I’m saying is that it plays a bigger role than in Halo.

25. Gekidami

“It would just be your average shooter.”

lol Actually its sort of the other way round; Killing people will less shots for more realism is a newer concept, Halo is quite dated when it comes to that much like it is in the way its weapons work.

But anyway, obviously some people like it, dosnt mean EVERYONE does and that we arent allow to point it out when sharing our views on the beta. I’d say you “suck” simply because you appear to have issues respecting other peoples opinions.

Taking off the shields wouldnt really work because of the way weapons in the game work, they have way to many bullets in each clip and are to precise. You can disable them in the other Halo games for MP but you’ll instantly see that the weapons are made to chip away at shields.

26. Erthazus

“-It wouldn’t be Halo if people just died with a single burst. It would just be your average shooter.
    -Halo is about as even as any field is going to get as far as competitive shooters go. ”

I’m sorry, but you never played Unreal Tournament or Quake 3:Arena? Halo is a Fast Paced FPS that is slow and doing everything wrong what others in this genre doing right.

27. ysleiro

@25 I never said it was a new concept. Think of what your average shooter is “nowadays”. It’s most certainly not Halo.

Realize that if people die fast it’s going to PRETTY hard to make the game feel competitive. So I’m sorry if I sound arrogant but I just feel like those that complain on how long it takes to die are attacking the very essence as to why Halo is considered more competitive than every other console FPS at the moment.

I never said they suck for pointing out their views on the beta (I never said they suck at life LOL). Simply that they suck at Halo. I respect their opinion nonetheless.

@I played Unreal Tournament over LAN back in my Navy days. It was unbelievably fast paced. It was good gaming but how can you expect me to still play that? I’d rather play Counter Strike if I was going to be doing that. Not only that but we are talking about consoles, it’s a bit unfair to bring PCs into the foray since shooters are better on PCs.

28. Erthazus

@27 how about Unreal Tournament 3? It’s on consoles.

It’s not unbelievably fast-paced. It’s done right how it should be.

Halo is a Quake 3 or Unreal wannabe and thats what this game does wrong. + Halo is not enough deep.

29. Kornytz

@Erthazus Well beside Unreal tournament will never be a top seller nor quake 3. I mean bigger fanbase means nothing on how good a game is right? I think they did something wrong or they would be top sellers lol

30. Gekidami

Fanbase and sales figures have nothing to do with quality. By that logic Twilight is a masterpiece… :?