Get your TDU2 questions answered by Eden Games

Tuesday, 11th May 2010 23:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

TDU22

Yachts and a return to Hawaii is all well and good, but what else would you like to know on Test Drive Unlimited 2? Step right up!

I’m currently sitting in a Barcelona hotel room at a pre-E3 event from Namco Bandai. Everything else seen from the firm is under embargo until May 24, but everything on TDU2 is good to go already.

If you have any burning questions for developer Eden Games, now’s the time to get them in. Get your Qs in below in comments.

I’ll ask the best of the lot to the dev tomorrow.  Final call for questions will be 1pm BST, which is midday in Spain.

For the record, the game looks absolutely awesome. If you liked the first TDU, chances are you’re probably going to love this.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 releases this fall for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

1. lindblum_resident

Is the soundtrack going to be influenced by the location (Ibiza)? As in, can we expect to listen to a lot of electronica? And maybe some ambient music?

2. poultee

will there be a demo? number of cars/manufacturers? custom soundtracks?

3. ruckus

Will there be motorbikes and more of them?

4. LordCancer

Will we be able to turn traffic off?

5. Skykid360

Am a huge fan of Test Drive seriies (since the Duel on the SNES) Absolutely loved everything about TDU on the 360, one of the best features was playing my own music, and cruising to the tunes i enjoy.

Will be getting it for the PS3 this time round, but would like to know if there are plans to enable Custom Soundtracks?

It’s a feature often neglected on the PS3 and Racing Games, but it makes such a big difference, i really hope TDU2 on the PS3 has this feature.

6. manamana

No consoleexclusives or games to win? Beh! ;-)
    Ok then, will it have stretchlimo with bunnys?

7. G1GAHURTZ

Some Q’s. Any will do…

1. Have you worked on making sure that cars don’t slam their brakes on in front of you for no apparent reason this time?

2. Can you please put an option in the game to allow users to lock/change the time of day to their personal preference?

3. Has the car upgrade/customisation system been improved?

4. In the last version it was practically impossible to drive in a straight line using the 360 Wireless wheel. Has the wheel support been improved? (Trust me, I know. I finished about half of the game using a wheel.)

5. Please can you put an option in to turn the first person view sensitiviy way up, as some FPS players don’t like looking around really slowly?

8. thyho

About bikes i haven’t see none.
    There will be bikes??

Can i create my radio with my mp3??

Night and day cicle can turned of???

And about collisions it will be improved??

9. Gon

Hello, I have several questions to ask, I hope you can answer:

1 – We’ll Pick Up Trucks to see?

2 – How many DLC will be, approximately

3 – It will be available the fuel load?

4 – you may tune the engine of the cars?

5 – change the sound if you tune the engine cars?

6 – How many brands of cars are there in total?

Thanks.

10. dfar80

1 – Does the PC version of TDU2 recognize controllers better? Many players found their games automatically registered steering wheels, but wasn’t as effective at recognizing X360 pads, for instance.

2 – To what extent does getting out of the car impact the game, specially in singleplayer mode? Will the island remain a pretty landscape but void of meaningful interaction?

3 – Please tell me that NPCs reward you much better than with coupons to spend in clothes shops. I mean, it’s okay for hitchhikers to be cheapskated but supermodels? C’mon. Hopefully the more the player invests in certain missions, the more options and rewards are open to him.

4 – Will the game (and the PC version) support custom soundtracks?

5 – When is it possible to go out of the car? Are there any set conditions, places or events where this happens, or is it possible at all times? After all, it was refered to as an out-of-car “mode”.

6 – Following from the last one, when you are being chased by the police, are you still fined automatically by law enforcement simply because your car stalled or crashed and they parked a few meters behind you, or can you now exit the car and do something about it other than waiting to be nailed?

7 – Is the yacht part of a new series of races or just to cruise around, possibly working as transportation between places?

8 – Is the car damage still exclusive to any other car except the one you’re driving?

9 – Please, for the love of all that is holy, tell me the colision detection has been improved. I’ve lost count of the times my car got stuck slightly above shrubs and bushes and couldn’t move at all.

10 – Is the game much more graphically intensive than its predecessor? Are the PC system specs of TDU2 close to its prequel or are players expected to get a state of the art rig?

11 – Is turning a bit easier? Please? Corners were killers sometimes :/

11. dfar80

12 – Also, regarding mission objectives. Several times I found my passengers storm off because I didn’t reach the destination on time… Which saw my passengers shouting about “taking a cab” because I was late when in fact, I reached the objective, but simply wasn’t parked inside the marker. Is this level of precision still present?

12. FearNo1

I enjoyed TDU. It brought innovation to the racing genre.

My questions:
    Will TDU2 ship with arcade and hard core driving modes?

Why only 8 racers online?

Since motorcycles will not ship with TDU2 at launch, will they be available later as free DLC?

Can you elaborate on “out-of-car mode”, as quoted by Johnny Cullen.

Will there be a demo available at E3, as there was one with the TDU?

13. johnstokes

Really excited for TDU2 and can’t wait to experience the awesomeness of this game on ps3 !!! but i wanted to know if this game will allow custom soundtracks while playing online.. lot of ps3 games that future custom soundtrack, regradless of the genre only, would only let you listen will playing offline. thanks !!!

14. Beolex

Will there be some middle-class cars, that are affordable, for when you begin the game with a low income?

Even though the games goal is to fulfill the life of a successful rich person, you must include some upper middle-class cars. If you only see racing cars, you would think Ibiza is the richest nation in the world, but we all know that this is a small Island, and small city cars are obviously going to be present. So my question, will there be some middle class cars for the people who just want an everyday car to go to the supermarket?

15. Need4SpeedX

How are the vehicle physics comparative to the first TDU? The physics in the trailers seem to be weak.

Are we going to see the return of Hardcore Mode?

Will there be fuel? If so, how would it be implemented if you run out?

What other “Off roading” type vehicles are we going to see? Trucks maybe?

What kind of customization options are we going to have BESIDES vinyls? Custom wheels, exhaust, interior, ect.?

Will the player limit of 8 be upped to say 12 or 16 players?

Will there be turn signals, windshield wipers, moving aero (spoilers that come up when a certain speed is achived)

What kind of computer will you need to run this fully maxed out?

How much DLC will you guys push out? Just one pack, or small but steady updates and add ons for a long time?

Any way for new islands as DLC?

Custom Soundtracks? What about Streaming Radio VIA last.fm or Pandora?

Will the Police be offline only, or will we see them online now as well? Can players become cops? New games mode perhaps?

16. Redline321

- Seeing how there is going to be vehicle damage in this sequel, will players have to pay to fix the scratches on the car? Or will it be reset after going into a building/changing cars, etc.?

- Clearly the vehicle list has grown. Any early hints as to some of the new manufacturers or car models added to the list? Has the list of avatar licensed clothing brands grown too?

- The original had some pretty overused models for houses/stores/traffic cars. Pretty much a cookie-cutter effect, but understandable for the time it was released. Even though there’ll be customizable furniture this time around, will here be more models for each type of player houses?

- Garage organization was a bit tough in the original. Has a system been put in place to help solve this in the new game?

- Is the PC version being developed from scratch like the original? Or will it be a poor quality port?

- Addressing concerns the original was a bit ‘easy’ to play, will the sequel have new gameplay modes to challenge the more dedicated fans and perhaps prolong its gameplay longevity?

- Any information on that new ‘out-of-car’ mode? Will the interiors of houses be seamless? (i.e. no loading screen walking from living room to garage or closet)

- Any information on new singleplayer/multiplayer challenges? Can we look forward to the return of Supermodel hitchhikers? (lol)

I know this is clearly a lot of questions listed, but it’s not every day someone presents this opportunity!

17. Beolex

Considering Ibiza is Europe, do you plan the AI Traffic cars to resemble Peugeot’s, Citroen’s, VW Polo’s, and other European city cars? Of course, sedans, sport-utility vehicles, and other European brands?

Do you plan to use “La Policia” for the cars since it’s in Ibiza?

18. Johnny Cullen

Keep it up guys.

I’ll start getting a list together before lunchtime.

Have I ever said you guys rule? If not, I’ve now said it. :)

19. Gekidami

I dont like racing games, could you make something else?

20. Siim

What is the native rendering resolution and framerate for TDU2?

21. Johnny Cullen

Just got the timing sorted for the interview, so I’ll be wrapping this up at about 11:45 GMT.

22. Blerk

How much is a pint in Barcelona at the minute? :-D

23. Johnny Cullen

€6.00!

24. Blerk

Holy shit!

25. Johnny Cullen

Innit

26. Detale

Seeing as it’s set in Ibiza, will there be moped racing?

27. mington

Ibiza is so 2000 and late! Discuss?

28. Johnny Cullen

Writing out a list of Qs now, so be quick if you want to add in more questions.

29. mington

Will the DJ stylings of Pat Sharp feature on the soundtrack?

30. Johnny Cullen

:D

Time’s up, folks. You guys left me with a tough pickle to choose some great questions, so that makes me even more sorry I had to leave out some. :(

Good stuff anyways, team. :D

31. Nascarvike

Huge fan since day 1. I can’t wrap my head around this: Ibiza is so small already irl, why make it even smaller? (572sq km irl, 381 sq. km in-game). I don’t mind going back to Oahu, but I hate the idea of taking from the new island to add to the one that most players have already played on for close to 4 years.

32. mington

Big fish little fish cardboard box?

33. florian

Will there be an option to fill up your car with gas?

34. TekToniX

I just want to know if BT users are going to have the same conectivity issues as in TDU. I was so fed up with running around with 6 lagged out white named dudes and only 1 red in sync with me. Please tell me you can resolve this issue so I dont want to have to go through the tedious remapping of my new router to get it to show all the people in sync rather than just 1.

That is my only issue with TDU, hope this will get fixed.