WHO claims obesity in kids can partially be blamed on gaming

Saturday, 3rd April 2010 18:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

shoothisparents

According to the report, one-third of children on the planet are obese due to a sedentary lifestyle.

Using math, the WHO claims that 70,000 teenagers from 34 different nations are hefties, due to watching TV or playing games three hours or more per day.

Statistically, the research concluded that this was the underlying reason for obesity for each country studied, and across all income brackets.

Here’s a blurb, with the full thing available for purchase here:

The analysis included 72,845 schoolchildren from 34 countries that participated in the Global School-based Student Health Survey and conducted data collection between 2003 and 2007. The questionnaire included questions on overall physical activity, walking, or biking to school, and on time spent sitting.

Very few students engaged in sufficient physical activity. Across all countries, 23.8 percent of boys and 15.4 percent of girls met recommendations, with the lowest prevalence in Philippines and Zambia (both 8.8 percent) and the highest in India (37.5 percent). The prevalence of walking or riding a bicycle to school ranged from 18.6 percent in United Arab Emirates to 84.8 percent in China.

In more than half of the countries, more than one third of the students spent three or more hours per day on sedentary activities, excluding the hours spent sitting at school and doing homework.

The great majority of students did not meet physical activity recommendations. Additionally, levels of sedentary were high. These findings require immediate action, and efforts should be made worldwide to increase levels of physical activity among schoolchildren.

Because of this study, the WHO gets our coveted No Shit Sherlock Award of the week – well, if we handed that sort of thing out.

Thanks, GoNintendo and Reuters.

1. Yoshi

I play alot of games and i aint obese ;)

2. Neolucifer

How about blaming it entirely instead on the parents who let their kid eat crap all day long ?

Or when even some kids simply get their habits from their likewise badly nourished parents ?

3. 5ive

Yoshi hah

4. polygem

short focused – as always – it´s not the games – the games are just a symptom not the cause.

5. The_Deleted

It can be partially blamed on gaming in as much as any inactivity can be to blame. Are these fat bastards out on their bikes or playing when not in front of a console?
    No they’re on the internet / watching telly and stuffing their fat fucking faces on inedible swill while parents ignore their responsibilities as parents.
    My son is four and, left to his own devices, would happily waste all day on the XBOX or PS. Guess what? HE DOESN’T BECAUSE IT’S NOT FUCKING HEALTHY!!! Don’t hate the gaming! Hate the player…s parents.

6. AHA-Lambda

I play games all the time and everyone says I’m too skinny ;)

7. Tallon 4

Eat. Sleep. Play….at least…that’s what Jaffe said :P

8. Yoshi

@5 Ohh that comment made me laugh, but your quite right

9. DarkElfa

I’ve heard ridiculous claims can partially be blamed on the WHO.

10. Stephany Nunneley

@ 9 :D I was thinking that every time I typed it. :-)

11. oem

That’s right blame games and not the fact they are probably being fed complete shit by their parents. If they actually had a balanced nutritious diet, you don’t grow FAT just by not moving, retards.

12. Hunam

As much as I hate all the games bashing, sitting around all day isn’t the best thing for people. It certainly took a toll on me as I was stupid enough to just play games without getting any exercise. But TV also shares this blame. As do books.

13. absolutezero

I blame it on excercise being shit.

If it was not shit I would be less fat.

14. Hunam

I’m just stuck in a Catch 22. When I’ve got a girlfriend I go to the gym to keep in shape, you know, because no one wants a fat boyfriend, when I’m single I can’t be arsed so get out of shape and than am too fat to attract teh wimminz.

15. The_Deleted

That’s not Catch 22 that’s a Vicious Circle.
    Catch 22 means you cannot do anything about a bad situation.
    Vicious Circle means you won’t.

16. justiceblob

‘The World Health Organization has claimed in a study published in the Journal of Pediatrics that videogames are one of the main causes of childhood obesity in the world.’

Erm… yes it is. Had they said;
    ‘The World Health Organization has claimed in a study published in the Journal of Pediatrics that videogames are the main cause of childhood obesity in the world.’

Then I could understand your reactions…. but I’m afraid I cant when you all act like they have just claimed all gamers are ritual satanists….

17. Gekidami

I wouldnt trust these guys

18. The_Deleted

@16:Years of conditioning, I’m afraid.
    I completely agree with what the WHO are saying, but games are all a part of the same problem. Inactivity involving sitting and doing nothing.

19. polygem