SEGA: PC sales “performing much better than is currently reported”

Tuesday, 30th March 2010 22:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pc

SEGA has defended PC gaming and claims that a reported 26 percent year-on-year decline does not represent the full picture.

Speaking with MCV, SEGA UK’s managing director John Clark said that digital sales should start being taken into account as it makes up a large portion of revenue for PC game sales.

“The PC market is third in terms of its year-on-year performance with a decline of 26 per cent, but this doesn’t really reflect the full picture,” said Clark. “The PC digital download business is now a viable sector but somewhat invisible as it’s not yet covered by Chart-Track. The PC market overall is actually performing much better than is currently reported and remains a vital and strong sector to be involved in.

“Last month’s PC chart illustrates Sega’s position within this sector. Napoleon: Total War, Football Manager 2010 and Aliens vs Predator are three different styles of game from three different genres. They can all drive a strong, community fan base with the ability to consistently deliver endless hours of gameplay. Incidentally, they are all developed in the UK.

“For 2009, Sega was ranked the second biggest PC publisher in the market. In 2010 year-to-date, we are once again ranked second. Long may it continue.”

Last year, SEGA was the second largest UK publisher of PC games, and held a 12 percent share of the market.

So far in 2010, it holds a 12.8 percent share of the PC market thanks to sales of Aleins vs Predator as well as the aforementioned titles.

1. Erthazus

Because if it is a game for a PC it will sell, if it is a crappy port then don’t even bother about it.

2. Hunam

Steam guards their sales figures pretty heavily for what ever reason, so it’s hard to take them into account.

3. slayernl

wow someone that makes sense I did not even know that was possible for the pc gaming market.
    GREAT job sega great job! :)

4. Dralen

Well I know I buy waaaaaay to many games off of Steam. I’ve currently got 89 games on my steam account. Damn Steam Sales.

5. blackdreamhunk

I am not surprised if pc gaming is a lot stronger than reported because we all know how much the gaming media wants pc gaming dead. We all know how alot of console hardware companies and game devs want to trash pc gaming where they can.

6. endgame

seriously Steph. stop using that picture! i’ll send a better one if u want. ;p

7. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Have I used it before? I don’t recall. ;)

8. Aimless

A more important question would be why you have a picture of endgame in the first place, Steph.

I swear PC gaming has been ‘dying’ for about a decade. It’s like the discount sports store on my highstreet which has been having a perennial closing down sale for the best part of three years.

9. Blerk

Is that blackdreamhunk in the picture?

10. Stephany Nunneley

@ 8 because I spy on him every chance I get. * hugs her binoculars *

11. ShiroGamer

lol,blerk

12. Keivz

Great news! Now where’s Bayonetta PC?

13. TheWulf

There are a number of contributing factors for decreasing sales of triple-A titles, I’d put them primarily down to:

- PC gamers tend to generally be a more mature audience, hence the explosion of adventure-type games lately. There is definitely a mainstream audience on the PC, yes, but it’s shrinking as people are growing up.

- The choking DRM used by some mainstream games is pretty ludicrous, like Ubisoft’s always-on DRM. PC sales have suffered in the past because of this, and they will continue to. I think all PC gamers would be much happier if Steam was just used for everything, with no other DRM other than Steam itself, since Steam is at least reasonable.

- The triple-A titles are only counted when considering sales, and given the above two factors I don’t find it surprising that two things are happening at the moment, and I believe there’s a correlation. The indie scene is growing by the year, and indie developers at the moment are making a pretty penny. Almost every day I seem to hear about new indie projects, they do some fascinating stuff.

- Like indie titles, these sales figures likely only count American triple-A console ports. There are a lot of PC games coming out of Europe at the moment and those seem to be selling particularly well, too. That’s because these games (look at The Witcher, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., or Risen for example) are very much PC games. Usually they get console ports but ironically those ports aren’t that great (see: Risen).

- Steam sales are very compelling. Waiting a few weeks after the release of a triple-A title could see reductions of 25-50%. It’s interesting that the comments mention Steam sales here, too. Steam sales operate almost like the second-hand market used to: A guarantee that if you wait just a little while longer, you’ll get a good deal.

So my take is that the PC gaming audience isn’t shrinking at all, but rather due to the continuing evolution of the platform makes it difficult to measure what’s selling and well. With a static platform like a console this is very easy to measure, you only get games from either Live/PSN or you buy them from retail. With the PC you could have games coming from just about anywhere, via a number of distribution methods, from developers big and small.

In my opinion, the indie scene on the PC shows how some developers are realising/have realised that the PC is pretty much always a glimpse of the future, of something a little bit better and maybe a bit different. The PC, as a platform, has always been a trend-setter by being so open. And if you look at how many people are leaving in-house publisher devs in favour of small indie startups… it speaks for itself.

Exciting times for the PC, ahead.

14. abbe

I believe that Steam guards its sales figures for two reasons: To not release information that the publisher does not want known and to keep other digital shops guessing at how big they are.

Steam on the other hand have a “direct-feed” of information about sales to the publishers or developers, they can see pretty much in real-time how much many units they sell.

I would like to know how much of the PC market is now digital sales, I for one only buy games digitally now. I think my last physical game was either Bioshock or Witcher: enhanced edition. :)

15. absolutezero

The history of PC Games sales. In a graph format :

16. Kalain

Made me laugh. :D

17. Gheritt White

You mean, PCs play stuff other than WoW?

18. loki

LOL It is look like we make PC ports and PC games, they sails fail, but we still believe in PC market.

What idiots working in Sega?

“Last month’s PC chart illustrates Sega’s position within this sector. Napoleon: Total War, Football Manager 2010 and Aliens vs Predator are three different styles of game from three different genres”.

Bla bla bla bla bla bla

Where specific number of sales? No, numbers. Why? Because number to small.
    Sega remember Dreamcast, use brain, not ass, PC ports it fail.

19. NGCes26294BIV

“PC ports it fail.”

Comprehension fail :p

20. TheWulf

No, it’s just that World of Warcraft is the only thing on the machine that doesn’t seem to overload the average mind and make them forget they ever saw it, apparently. From the distant past to the current day, the PC is doing things so amazingly strange and intriguing that more mundane minds are just put off by it, frankly. So all these brilliant, awe-inspiring games just escape them.

Case in point: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/31/action-half-life-the-5-a-m/

If you think the PC is solely about World of Warcraft and you can’t see beyond that, then truly, it is your loss. And such a loss it is.

Come back when you aren’t using your arse for communication, I could barely understand your post and you were wrong on every point with what I could understand of it.

Perhaps Sega’s sales are actually decent on the PC, I’ve bought a number of Sega-published games, and I’m going to be buying another, soon (Alpha Protocol). I’m likely not alone in that. What can you cite to show any evidence that their… how did you put it? Their “sails fail”?

SEGA’s on a boat! But I digress.