Metroid: Other M video is rather awesome

Tuesday, 30th March 2010 23:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metroid Other M 4

A new video for Metroid: Other M has been released and it is rather awesome in our book.

You can watch it below the break.

The best part of it? Samus and Mother Brain towards the end. Good stuff.

Metroid: Other M’s out in the US on June 27, and Europe gets it sometime during Q3. Maybe more will be revealed at E3.

Thanks, Dutch.

1. Blerk

Hmm… mixed feelings about that. Graphically it looks pretty damned good, and the third-person shooty bits look like Prime which is nice. But it seems too fast, using the digital controls only for movement is still stupid, having to reposition the remote to go into first-person looks like it’ll get very annoying very quickly, and the melee combat seems completely out of place.

And is it just me, or have they changed their Samus design since the last set of screenies? For the better, I might add.

2. Bulk Slash

I agree, I think switching to first person could be tedious. I’m not sure if it’s a voluntary switch of just something triggered at certain points. Hopefully it’s not the latter as it could become quite tedious if you need to switch every few seconds to look for triggers or secrets.

I’m not sure about all the dramatic camera angles either. While it makes it look nice, I could easily see myself getting lost without a consistent viewpoint. One thing Shadow Complex really got right was that it stuck to a sideways view even though it was in a 3D world.

3. xino

not pumped for it anymore:/

The graphics doesn’t make it look nice anymore

4. YoungZer0

One of the best things about the Metroid series is the fact that Samus Aran (Although no personality (Like all Nintendo characters)) appears to be one of the few female videogame characters who is not trying to be sexobject.

Why the fuck did Nintendo thought it was a good idea to give Team Ninja (probably the sexists videogame developer ever) the rights to make a Metroid game. Mark my words: They will find a way to fuck it up.

5. Hunam

The worst thing I’ve heard so far is that she rattles on and on about pretty much anything, rather than being the near silent femme fatale we’ve come to expect.

6. Sini

Will her boobs bounce when she’s not wearing the suit? No point in halting the tradition now Team Ninja.

7. xino

to everyone complaining about the controls for First person.

I can tell it’s easy. You only use FP mode to scan for objects, look for clues and secrets

8. Erthazus

I think it looks fantastic. Maybe one good game for a Wii.

9. theevilaires

This may be the game that gets me to buy a Wii, but I agree 100% with Blerk on this one. If the reviews are high and word of mouth is positive I’ll bite.

10. Johnny Cullen

I’ll be honest: it impressed me compared to the previous two trailers, but that’s not saying much.

In fact, if anything, it’s making me want to buy the Metroid Prime collection for Wii. So really, in a cause and effect type of thing, this ain’t what Nintendo was aiming for.

11. TheWulf

I had a great deal of respect for the Metroid Prime games, I played them back on the GameCube. It was one of the rare, rare few shooters that actually worked decently well on a pad, and I had a great time with it. Those were games worthy of song.

This? This just looks like average console pap by comparison. Third person, 2.5D sections, and all the things that make up an average game. What’s worse though is the very nature of the game, it’s just too… I don’t know. Too Japanese? Like the majority of action-based anime/manga I’ve encountered, it has a lot of nonsense elements that are overly sensationalistic.

“MOTHER… [what a great, big blinky eye you have!] Time to go!”

It’s clich√© and not at all due the respect of the Prime series. :/ The thing with the Prime series is that along with great gameplay, it had cohesive visual aesthetics, decent writing, things made sense, and there was this overbearing sense of an alien, lonely world, there wasn’t any of this overblown, glitzy and hypaeractive blasty stuff.

Metroid Prime was all about atmosphere, this game looks like it’ll only be concerned with a high score.

Shame.

12. Gekidami

It looks ok but i wish Samus didnt talk. Team Ninja games always have crappy voice acting, especially the female characters.

13. Gheritt White

Looks far better than I thought it would, rather impressed so far.