Players must save their C&C 4 game if they get a disconnection message

Saturday, 20th March 2010 13:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

C&C4

PC Gamer has found that should players of Command & Conquer 4 get a disconnection message, they must save their game immediately or lose all progress.

Revealed back in July and re-confirmed this week that the game would require you to be online at all times, EA does not consider this DRM.

The one good thing about it, is once the game is installed and you log into your EA account, you don’t have to have the disc in the drive. However, the bad news is you must be online at all times, so should a storm, or wind, or a crazed ex-lover knock out your internet, you are out of luck.

Similar to Ubisoft’s PC games.

Once the game detects that you are no longer connected to the internet, you are prompted with an onscreen message, and you better save the moment you get it or you will have to do everything since your last save all over again.

Bummer.

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight hit stores this week in the US and UK.

Via CVG.

1. Hunam

Christ. This whole dedicated internet thing is not really working out so well. What’s worse is this and Settler 7 are the type of games folks play on laptops whilst stuck in the arse end of nowhere.

2. Michael O’Connor

Well, that’s this franchise dead I guess.

3. Bulk Slash

Don’t worry, someone has already come up with a hacked version of the server software that you run locally to get around needing a connection.

So EA wasted time and money coming up with something that inconveniences paying customers and yet does nothing to prevent piracy. Good work EA!

4. Hunam

Seems to be. Aside from the usual EA banner ads that popped up about a week ago, this game has had next to no PR, seems EA are just letting it limp out to retail.

The Beta was fun enough, but that was because I just accepted that all the units would be unlocked for players by the end of the single player game… which they’re not. Apparently you finish the game with about half the units.

5. Droid

When will they learn…

6. SavageD

/crosses C&C4 off list along with everything from you-be-soft.

7. SplatteredHouse

system requirements:

Intel Processor - Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
    AMD Processor - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5400+
    Nvidia Graphics Card - Geforce 7900 GTX
    Stupidity – Base 2 Quad B1200 DRM
    ATI Graphics Card - Radeon X1900 Series
    RAM Memory - 3 GB
    Hard Disk Space - 10 GB
    Direct X - 9
    * Please allow time to establish and maintain your connection.
    ** Refrain from leaving your seat, shuffling or engaging in other activities, including speaking or consumption, that could potentially lead to the game disconnecting from the host server. It can be funny like that.
    *** Wireless connections are not recommended. In fact, just sit your self down, and focus, until the PDLC is announced.

8. DeSpiritusBellum

Sad. Now I’m glad I haven’t enjoyed C&C for the better part of a decade.

Even Red Faction: Guerilla had something similar though. Unless you were signed into Games for Windows Live, you could play the game, but you couldn’t save. I played for a few hours and couldn’t figure out why the save funtion wasn’t available, so I shut it down, thinking it would autosave like any other standard game, and lost all progress. The game was shit, so I left it there and now it’s just taking up space on my Steam. Good thing I didn’t pay full price for that garbage.

I don’t mind people protecting their games, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of the people who actually buy them.

9. Grimrita

I didnt even know this turd was released yet. Oh well. Its not on my shopping list.

10. AHA-Lambda

Damn that’s just plain wrong really =(

And yeah I’ve seen almost zero hype for this game and it’s already out, the reviews from critics and fans ain’t been good anyway besides the drm (or not in ea’s eyes >_>)

11. Gekidami

Dosnt the PC version of BFBC2 use this DRM to then? Odd that one EA game does but another dosnt, clearly EA was expecting more piracy from C&C4.

12. Joe_Gamer

This was announced months ago(nearly a year ago I think) early in the development. long before Ubisoft started fuckering it up. Most likely the current EA would rather avoid the shitstorm which is why they are working the whole “it’s NOT drm” spin, but it IS drm so whatever, I’m not gonna buy it.

Sales will tank, pirates will be blamed, business as usual.

BFBC2 does not use this DRM, It uses securom authentication (installations limited to ten and tracked online) you can play offline just fine after initial authentification, nearly as bad, I bought the steam version thinking it wouldn’t have this crap, but it did of course, until they took it back out? They don’t know what hell their doing. Securom is vile and requiring a constant internet connection is even worse, I won’t buy any game with either, well I did buy BFBC2 but like I said I thought the steam version wouldn’t have that crap.

13. Stephany Nunneley

@ 12 you’re right – it was. Thus the “revealed back in July” link in the post.

It’s sad really. I hope it doesn’t get to the point where the only time we DON’T have to log into the net to play is when we are solving puzzles in Layton on our DS.