L4D2′s The Passing detailed a bit more – contains L4D1 spoilers

Saturday, 20th March 2010 18:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

L4D1

Left 4 Dead 2′s The Passing has been detailed on GameTrailers TV, especially the part where the cast from the original Left 4 Dead meets up with the new cast.

Unfortunately, if you wish to remain pure and virginal, don’t look below the break as it may spoil it for you.

According to GTTV, the tagline for the The Passing is “Nobody Survives Forever” – meaning that one of the original survivors didn’t make it and will be excluded from The Passing.

Valve announced an update to the original game earlier in the year, stating that it would go live after The Passing is released. In it, it tells the story of how our heroes met up with the new ones and now it looks as though it will also tell the story of how this particular character met his or her demise.

The character that bites the dust has yet to be announced, and now that we know this, the title makes much more sense.

It’s all rather sad really. We’ve grown attached to all of ‘em.

You can watch it for yourself through here.

Thanks, BigDownload.

1. DeSpiritusBellum

If we’re following the rules here, it’s definitely gonna be the black guy wearing the dehumanizing office attire. He’ll do something mindnumbingly stupid and get his brain eaten.

Although that would leave two near identical, grimy white dudes and the chick with the nudy mod. It definitely won’t be the chick with the nudy mod.

2. El_MUERkO

Noooooo!

:*(

It’ll probably be Bill :(

3. The Hindle

Its rather Lous or Bill.

4. Grimrita

I’m still trying to figure out how this shit won ‘best multiplayer game’ – its probably one of THE worst I have ever seen.

Only a piece of shit would -
    Let you join a game DEAD
    Spawn in fire
    Allow rage quitters to run riot
    Join crappy servers

Sounds like a winner to me!

5. justiceblob

wtf are you on about, none of that stuff has happened to me in L4D or L4D2…

6. Grimrita

then you cant play it often. or you have the console version. This is what happens all too often on the pc when playing something like vs mode.

Lazy development

7. Michael O’Connor

I find it both entertaining and perplexing that you would acuse someone of not playing a game enough that you just admitted you hated. If you hate it so much, why the hell would you play it more often that someone who *likes* it..? The mind boggles…

Myself personally, there are few gaming experiences that I’ve had more entertaining than a L4D LAN session with three other mates. It’s utter chaos, and goddamn hilarious!

8. The Hindle

The things Grimrita mentioned are flaws in Left 4 dead and im a big fan of the game. You have to play with a decent team to get the most out of it especally on expert. It can kill your enjoyment if you put 4 hours into a campaign and then someone quits therefore that time is wasted.

9. Michael O’Connor

Which is exactly why I only play the campaign when I have 3 other people in the same room as me. The way it really ought to be played.

10. The Hindle

Have you done a expert campaign like that lol, it takes a while but when you eventually find some good players then nothing beats it.

11. Michael O’Connor

None of us are quite good enough to manage that. =P

12. Yoshi

Its obviously going to be Louis, hes black LMAO XD

13. The Hindle

I think it will be random who dies, like one of the people playing will get to choose who it will be.

14. SunKing

Sure, it’s a great game when you’re playing with people you know or just a good team of randoms. However, it’s an absolutely soul-destroying, infuriating experience when there are griefers or rage-quitters on the server.

In a game where one player can ruin the fun for everyone else, it strikes me as poor design that there is no effective system for penalising antisocial behavior. For that reason, I don’t think it really could be considered as having “Best Multiplayer”.

15. Bremenacht

Don’t all MP games suffer from those problems?

16. TheWulf

Louis and Bill were always fan favourites, so smart money’s on one of those two. Though I think it’s most likely going to be Bill, because he’s the most hardened and professional of them all and his death will destabilise them as a group.

All of the people having a go at Louis because he’s black are imbeciles — and that’s being generous, since I left out the ‘blithering’ — since Valve don’t work that way and never have. I mean, the TF2 Demoman is black and he’s one of the most well-loved characters, his ‘Meet the’ video was very memorable.

Valve aren’t Nathan bloody Drake, they’re not prejudiced against any ethnicities, but they don’t put them up on a pedestal either. They tend to be pretty fair and equal with their portrayals. Look at Rochelle, for instance, they could’ve left her as a shallow stereotype, but instead she’s quite the opposite and a character with a surprising amount of depth.

Sometimes I worry whether some gamers have gotten stuck in some kind of 19th century timewarp, because those sporting Louis-dies-because-he’s-black theories remind me of those kids in online games who always seem to have a vast library of ethnic slurs (none of which they use properly).

17. TheWulf

Frankly, you’re full of shit.

“Let you join a game DEAD”

Did you purposefully join a server with a ping of 12,000 or something? I’d imagine it would take a very witless and unobservant sort to do so, because that’s the only scenario I could imagine where that could happen.

“Spawn in fire”

Bald-faced lie, considering that both games have safety-nets in the spawn system to stop this from happening.

This you’ve totally pulled out of your arse.

If you want to prove it then give me steps as to how you’ve managed this, since apparently you’ve reproduced it enough to annoy you, and yet in the hundreds of games I’ve played I haven’t seen it once.

“Allow rage quitters to run riot”

This happens in every multiplayer game, it’s just an aspect of multiplayer, you can’t hack into someone’s brain and force them to stay for the entirety of the game. If someone ragequits then you just laugh and continue on without them, someone else will join and they’ll probably be a better player anyway.

It’s good that they can ragequit, really. I’d rather open their slot up for a more competent player than keep the moron who’s getting all steamed up over a game.

Did you ragequit too often only to get mad at the game for allowing you to do so? Silly Rabbit. Well don’t worry, better players will have undoubtedly took your place. :p

“Join crappy servers”

You didn’t define crappy but I’ll run with it anyway. For ages now Valve have had a ‘server ranking’ system, basically this system notes how quickly a player leaves a server after joining it. In other words, it’s actually kind of difficult to join a bad server because all the good ones raise to the top.

The only way you could join a bad server these days is if you’re trying to do it on purpose, just to convince yourself how shit a game is. But if you’re going to those lengths to convince yourself then I don’t think you’re a person who can be reasoned with, or one that would understand logic.

Please stop talking shit, it’s as embarrassing to read it as it should be for you having posted it.

18. Grimrita

I will take screen shots next time. Its not shit, it happens all too often. Maybe its you, who is talking shit and clearly lacks experience of playing this online.

19. Michael O’Connor

@ 18 I repeat…

If this were a genuine, rampant problem, it would be far more known by now. You also fall to answer even a single point he made.

20. dirigiblebill

“They tend to be pretty fair and equal with their portrayals. Look at Rochelle, for instance, they could’ve left her as a shallow stereotype, but instead she’s quite the opposite and a character with a surprising amount of depth.”

Indeed, but they also came up with a chunky African-American guy named, of all things, “Coach”… ;)

Left 4 Dead is quite deliberately and unabashedly a creature of cliche, including racial cliche. Providing you don’t take the cliches seriously, that’s part of its appeal.

21. Grimrita

@ 19
    I dont need to answer any single point made, because I have explained what happens. Just because he doesnt experience it, doesnt mean it doesnt happen because it happened to me – many times.

I dont play it any more because its one of THE worst online games ever for the reasons stated. If Valve werent so lazy, then sure, it could have been a true great.

I played Vs mode alot because it seemed alot of fun, but when you have 20 attempts to play ONE single round, it becomes tedious.

The game is very appealing to play and ticks alot of the right boxes but it also ticks alot of the wrong ones. Natural born losers, or rage quitters, should be punished to stop prevent them from actually jumping from game to game and quitting.

22. sketchapotamus

@ Grimrita

Okay, so you spawn… IN fire? You are the only one who controls when you spawn unless it is a finale, so if you spawn in fire it’s your own god damn fault and being torched is your punishment for being so dumb. I have never once been in a versus match where I, or anyone on either team has spawned on fire, unless it was a boomer who wanted to explode quickly after spawning.

Yes, I will say you can join the game dead, but seriously, suck it up. It doesn’t happen all that much and if you are impatient you can quit and find another game.

Again, as TheWulf had said, every multiplayer game has rage quiters. Also, there is no system that could tell the difference between someone raging or just quitting because his dinner is almost ready. If you know a way to program a “rage quit sensor” or whatever, by all means, do it.

Also, the crappy servers has been discussed and, again, server ranking system is excellent. I rarely find myself joining a server thinking “Man, this server is somehow more stupid than any other server I have joined.”

Finaly, yes you SHOULD answer for any and all points you make, otherwise you lose the argument, prove to us that you are an idiot and that you have no place saying which games are good and which are bad. If you go around making assertions without backing them up adiquately, everyone and their dog will think you are retarded. And they will probably be right.

Also, I want to know what your idea of a good multiplayer game is.

23. DaMan

hey guys. Imo, you should disable commenting on old topics.