BAFTA Winners: Uncharted 2 takes four awards, Batman gets Best Game

Friday, 19th March 2010 21:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

baftaa1

Uncharted 2 walked off with Best Action Game at the BAFTA awards this evening, beating out Assassin’s Creed 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Modern Warefare 2, inFamous, and Left 4 Dead 2.

It also took the awards for Use of Audio, Original Score and Story. It’s up for nine awards tonight.

The running list of winners is below the break and you can watch it live through here.

We will update the list as winners are announced.

Here are the winners:

Action Game: Uncharted 2
Family & Social Game: Wii Sports Resort
Use of Online: FIFA 10
Artistic Achievement: Flower
Best Game: Batman: Arkham Asylum
Gameplay: Batman: Arkham Asylum
Handheld: LBP PSP
Multiplayer: Left 4 Dead 2
Original Score: Uncharted 2
Sports: FIFA 10
Story: Uncharted 2
Strategy: Empire: Total War
Use of Audio: Uncharted 2
BAFTA Ones To Watch Award (presented by David Braben): Shrunk! by The Butterflyers
GAME Award of 2009 (voted for by the public): Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Second place was Assassin’s Creed 2, and Uncharted 2 took third.
Academy Fellow: Shigeru Miyamoto

The full list of nominees can be found through here.

1. frod

GT PSP got nominated :/

It’s like the BRIT awards, lmao.

2. cookiejar

4 now. Nice going.

3. Razor

It’s surprising MW2 didn’t win the VGA’s like it did here given it was voted by the public.

4. AHA-Lambda

wow batman won? Good thing I didn’t place a bet then *phew* >_>

5. ShiroGamer

Bat-fuckin-Man

\o/

6. theevilaires

Bullshit Batman was not better than UC2 sorry, they did that out of pity…AND YOU ALL KNOW IT.

7. frod

so much doubt and uncertainty in you :-)

8. theevilaires

frod get a life, batman was good but uc2 was great. stop pretending.

9. frod

pretending :-D

10. Dralen

Haha! They give Uncharted 2 four wins overall, including best action game and they give Batman best game. That doesn’t make a blind bit of sense. Especially since Batman is also an action game and it didn’t win the best action game bafta. I think my head actually might explode from the screwed up logic the bafta people were thinking at the time.

11. frod

dunno, they gave Batman best gameplay. Same thing surely.

12. theevilaires

all this shit is set up. you can’t take anyone’s word or choice these days especially award shows like this.

13. onlineatron

MRSPOILED BETTER NOT HAVE FUCKING JUST RUINED GOD OF WAR III FOR ME!!

If so … I give up on this site, it’s gone to pot.

14. Dannybuoy

Batman. Best game? Seriously? Wrong envelope maybe. Uncharted 2 was head and shoulders over Batman. Oh well, my mate worked on Batman so good on um anyway.

15. Bulk Slash

Out of UC2 and Batman I’m not sure which one I prefer. I think Batman is probably the more replayable of the two, but I’d be happy to play either of them.

Anyway, at least Modern Warfare 2 didn’t win anything but the pleb award, as voted for by the chavs who spent their dole money buying it.

16. xino

WTF do UK know about gaming!?

Left4Dead winning an award…you’ve got to be sh*ng me!

17. theevilaires

“Batman is probably the more replayable of the two”

funny, I did’t feel that way at all. once I beat it I was glad it was over. I had fun but going back and forth again and again isn’t great to me.

UC2 you moved forward throughout the game so I could play that over and over with no problem

18. TheWulf

I gotta go with the crowd that claims that Batman: Arkham Asylum was a far better game than Uncharted 2. It was generally more interesting, varied, and unlike the vast majority of games out there it had an interesting storyline complete with colourful characters.

Whereas Nathan Drake is ever the poor man’s Indiana Jones, and nothing more. Perhaps the only thing that separates Drake from Indy is that Nate likes picking on ethnicities more. Uncharted 2 was a good game, but I didn’t find too much compelling about it, to be honest.

19. TheWulf

Oh, I almost forgot…

Careful what you say there, as I believe our good hosts are British. They seem to know a little bit about gaming, no?

20. Edward Cullen

FUCK I”M REALLY PISSED RIGHT NOW. YOU BETTTER BE JOKING RIGHT THERE MRSPOILED.

21. loki

Batman? Are you kidding?

22. Eregol

Gutted.
    I liked Batman, but best game? No way.
    UC2 was easily the most deserving winner, plus I had money on it.

23. frod

In the limited subset of games that is big-budget console games, both are very similar. Personally I didn’t like Uncharted too much but enjoy Batman a lot. Batman is also something of an achievement for a licensed property, and isn’t just a sequel. Pretty easy to argue both sides really.

24. frod

not exactly an amazing ending. But surely it’s about the journey?

25. freedoms_stain

@12, familiar with the phrase “greater than the sum of its parts”?

You are now.

26. DiodeX

@18, racist!

27. DaMan

MrSpoiled, srsly you’re a fucking asshole.

28. The Hindle

I know Daman i just hope hes joking.

29. Eregol

I’m beginning to think best game was fixed.

BAFTA is a british ceremony, and Batman was made by a british developer.

Coincidence?

30. TheWulf

Of course, that means that every American awards ceremony that awards an American production is rigged too, so every award Avatar won was paid for in bribes by someone.

You know, I really can’t argue with that.

But still, I’d like to think that’s just raging paranoia with no basis in reality.

Just because I can’t accept that Avatar was a good movie, and you can’t accept that Batman was the better game, doesn’t mean that there can’t be a large amount of other people who actually hold that opinion. Dig?

It’s my opinion that the BAFTA simply has better taste than most awards, considering that I only disagree with some of these, rather than most of them. Left4Dead has deserved an award for a while, in my opinion, as it really did a lot for coop gaming.