Take a breath: The APOCALYPS3 is over (Updated)

Tuesday, 2nd March 2010 01:32 GMT By Nathan Grayson

ps311

Update: Here’s confirmation straight from Sony.

Original: Remember that scene from “The Day After Tomorrow” when the apocalypse sort of went away for no apparent reason – even though Sony didn’t release a patch for it – and everyone got all weepy and started hugging?

Well, this is kind of like that. Kind of.

Reports flooding in from all corners of the Internet are heralding the dawn of a new day, which – as many predicted – seems to be just what the doctor ordered for Sony’s ailing PS3. Fluids and bed rest makes the PR nightmare go away. Just like our moms taught us!

Also, if you’re still losing sleep over your precious trophy collection, you can stop knocking back the knockout pills now. Your trophies are safe and sound, and should be syncing correctly again.

So, that’s that, then. Crisis averted. Now then, there’s an Origami Killer that needs stopping. You know what to do.

1. Alakratt

Thanks to the fucking front panel CPU that this happened! So there’s no excuse for Sony to issue a patch for it for the next leap year. Oh yeah, FUCK YOU SONY!

2. Plainview

Some of the reactions i read on here were hilarious.. god people whine.

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

Alkratt, wow you just could not play the PS3 for about 24 hours, get over yourself, and don’t blame sony, shit this only happen less then .01 of a percent for so many years that PSN is working.

4. Alakratt

Um, it wasn’t because I couldn’t play. It was because I couldn’t turn it on. Official news from Sony said to leave it off, other people said that you can turn it on but couldn’t game. So didn’t know who to believe and I wasn’t gonna risk it. I was gonna use it to watch BDs and media streaming. Got it?

5. AbolfazlA

I turn on my PS3 :D

6. LordVonPunx

the weird thing is why did the time reset to 12/31/99.

7. bugmenot

that apocalps3 thread should be saved for posterity, what drama queens we are.

8. frostquake

Now that The Apocalyps3, is over and the dust is clearing…I will be taking on as many young nubile fertile females as possible so I along with my harem my repopulate the world with Phat PS3′s.
    Oh the HORROR…of what was once a green and lush landscape called PS3. Now that everything is desolate, we must push ahead and focus on repopulating. If you are a male you must find as many Females as possible and gather them into a herd. Re-population is of top priority..or humanity will for ever be lost..
    P3K…was a devastating loss, but we must look forward. If no females are located within your devastated area, re-locate to populated area’s just as soon as possible.
    NOTE: Relocating will be dangerous due to PS3 60 Gig Zombies that will try to gobble up your man regions to try and stop the re-population movement…Exercise extreme caution…when re-locating..
    THAT IS ALL

9. Gekidami

As expected it fixed itself. And as expected aload of people now look like complete asses *cough*TEA*cough*.

10. Dannybuoy

I turned it on 3 times and said candy man. Nothing happened

11. LordVonPunx

you know cuz the ps3 had entered it’s forth feb 28th confusing the hell out of it. i wonder if the same will
    happen to the Slim’s in 2013? only time will tell.

if not it will happen to phats in 2014, but we should have playstation 9 by then right…

12. zoopdeloop

@9 like you said it Gekidami.Spot on! :)

i told him if i were him i wouldn’t show my face here again out of shame.
    I miss his Kaz conspiracies…they were somewhat entertaining :P

13. Blerk

The Day The Earth Stood Still. :-)

I surmise Sony can prevent this happening again via a patch, now. They are going to patch it, right? Right?

14. BraveArse

Actually – it may not be done and dusted for some. I’ve seen reports ( which I can partially confirm ) that some folk have had their PS3s reset and have lost their game saves. I didn’t realise it this morning but it explains why my PS3 remote wasn’t working with PlayTv when I got up. I fully expect my saves to be wiped when I check tonight now :(

Can anyone here confirm this?

15. locus2k1

A friend lost all his trophies for his platinumed SF4… fortunately though he started up Ryu’s final Hard Trial and about 20 odd trophies pinged through as he took 4 or 5 attempts completing it again (things like super combos, ultra combos etc as he pulled them off, followed by all the trial, icon, and title trophies once he achieved it again) . Hasn’t got them all back just yet, but to me this says they aren’t as “safe” as mentioned. :(

16. zoopdeloop

if you didn’t mess with the console the whole Apocalyps3 day there aren’t any problems.If you did though turn it on trying relentlessly to play a game,sign to the network,check trophies e.t.c you might have corrupt some data like trophies,saves,themes,dlc’s e.t.c

17. Gekidami

If you’ve got any trophies missing; Launch the game with missing trophies, load a save, quit out of the game then sync trophies. They should all reappear.

18. Detale

I missed the whole end of the world thing as I’ve been struck down with some viral nastiness for the last few days. Slightly disappointed it’s all over now to be honest, but I did catch some of the comments thread yesterday and it was quite spectacular. Cheered me up no end.

Glad I’ve got a PS3 Slim now though, I can’t imagine the reaction if the missus hadn’t been able to get her daily Bejeweled 2 fix.

19. No_PUDding

Hmmm… How dramatic.

20. Eregol

There’s an article at CVG for how to get your trophies back by the way.

21. Psychotext

Mine came back ok, thankfully. Now, with my newest platinum, I can enjoy making Pud look like even more of a noob. :D

22. Eregol

Joystiq also have a guide on how to get trophies back too.

23. OrphanageExplosion

Is there a guide to getting my 24 hours of “owning n00bs” back?

24. Eregol

Consider it a gift.
    It was a chance to actually go out and live rather than sit in front of a tv in your pants ‘owning n00bs’.
    Sony actually did you all a favour.

25. OrphanageExplosion

Well that’s the genius of PS3: no pants required. That nice attractive man on YouTube let me in on that secret yesterday.

26. OlderGamer

Ours seems to working fine. All is good. Dumb thing to have to go thro in the first place but glad it worked itself out.