PSN experiences total blackout, causes some offline games to stop working [Update 2]

Monday, 1st March 2010 02:51 GMT By Nathan Grayson

psnlogo2

Update: Sounds like the PSN outage’s only part of the problem. PS3s that haven’t suckled at the Internet’s bounteous teat for years are reverting their clocks to 12/31/1999 for some reason. If we didn’t know about Sony’s strict no-mad-scientist policy, we’d swear this was part of some larger conspiracy. Thanks, Joystiq and lindblum_resident.

Update 2: SCEA’s said in a seperate blog post on the US PS Blog that it has “narrowed down the issue and have engineers working to restore service even as you read this”.

Original: Occasionally, when an Internet connection drops, you might hear someone ask “who shut-off the Internet?” Well, that entire notion’s ridiculous. You can’t just yank the cord on the entire Internet.

PSN, however, is another story.

For the past couple hours, Sony’s PlayStation Network has been bombarding users with 8001050F error codes. But what does this mean for you, befuddled PS3 owner? Well, for the time being, your fourth Heavy Rain playthough’s gonna have to be put on hold. See, the error locks users out of PSN and corrupts trophy data. These two things, when combined, cause certain games to lock up and throw away the keys.

Many games – like the aforementioned Heavy Rain and Demon’s Souls – won’t run regardless of whether or not they normally require a PSN connection to function.

Sony, meanwhile, is “looking into” the sudden error epidemic, but hasn’t managed to solve the issue just yet.

We’ll be sure to let you know as soon as Sony finds the guy who tripped over the big, neon sign-illuminated PSN cord.

1. lindblum_resident

It doesn’t look like a simple network issue. PS3s that haven’t been online for some time are being affected too. It also seems to affect mostly older PS3s with some slims here and there falling as well.

2. Psychotext

The general advice right now is DO NOT TURN ON YOUR PRE-SLIM PS3.

I’ve lost a bunch of trophies on mine and I’m not happy. That was after I’d already removed the network cable, it’s not just network related. :(

3. Johnny Cullen

Apparently whole trophy lists for games you’ve played have disappeared, which means you’ve lost trophies.

Does that happen when you first turn on your PS3? If so, I may have just missed it. Otherwise, I am going to be pissed, considering I have half of the trophy list for Heavy Rain unlocked.

And considering this is affecting the fat PS3s, it’s kinda odd timing considering I was going to go and get a Slim to replace my fat PS3 today. :D

Edit @ PT: D:

4. lindblum_resident

Don’t worry about trophies, Psychotext. If you manage to check your trophy list via a PSN site, you’ll see that they’re all there. Probably, they will be restored when this gets fixed. That’s the very reason the PS3 syncs them with a server.

5. Psychotext

These are trophies I’ve got since syncing. Unless they’ve since made syncing automatic… which I don’t believe they have.

I spent most of the day on one of them. :(

6. Johnny Cullen

D:

Noooo! I did a couple of Heavy Rain trophies I did yesterday that I never synced. :(

7. Psychotext

I’ve just been reading that Heavy Rain might trophy sync automatically (which would be new and different). Good for not losing trophies… time will tell.

8. Psychotext

How about all the people that can’t play their games any more… feel for them?

9. Aretak

The people who haven’t been able to play their games for the staggering 4 and a half hours this CRISIS has been going on? Truly, my heart goes out to every one of them in this time of trial. Stay strong. Keep the faith. We’ll get through this. Together.

10. Nathan Grayson

Think about it, though. This is happening to PS3s that aren’t or never have been Internet-connected. A simple patch probably won’t be enough to fix that, especially considering the sign-in issues. On top of that, even if a patch is able to cure what’s ailing the PS3, those who don’t take their consoles online will still be SOL. Sony’s got quite a mess on it’s hands here. Maybe not RROD-sized, but still pretty big.

11. Nathan Grayson

It’s not all bad news, though. My PS3 mysteriously stopped working a couple weeks ago. Maybe, if Sony starts handing out free repairs to PS3s afflicted with the Day-Before-Y2K bug, I’ll be able to get a free fix for whatever else is wrong with my PS3.

See? Doesn’t that make it all worth it? I’ll take your silent, stone-cold glares as an emphatic “yes.”

12. Yoshi

I was playin fine online earlier on LBP so i guess i got off just in time lol I wont be login back in tho until its fixed

13. Psychotext

Bah, none of my Heavy Rain trophies from today are showing on the website. :(

14. ivycrew707

I’ve been at work all day, and my ps3 is being revived from the YLOD…….but I wonder if the screwed up while re-vamping playstation.com?

15. TraceableX

LOL @ All The Trophy Whore Losers.
    ———————
    Guys, this human being is RETARDED.

16. LordVonPunx

WTF is going on ??? i was playing at my friends house Online And he has a Ps3 Slim. It was working fine.i found out about the issue from RGW and then i went home and made sur my internet wasn’t on and my ps3 said 12/31/99 ?? ? that 10 years back before ps3 even exsisted???

and all my stuff i bought doesn’t work!? including all my game Disc Or Psn>>?? i have an Original Ps3 i will be super pissed if all my trophy’s are gone for good i have almost 1200!!! this is really weird seems like Y2K ishh..

freaking RG has both Systems lol

17. Psychotext

It doesn’t matter if you’re online or not. What’s causing this is part of the firmware, not anything to do with PSN.

With luck though, after 24 hours it may fix itself (Internal clock changes from 29th Feb to 1st March).

18. LordVonPunx

so this had nothing to do with Canada winning the Gold??

19. Johnny Cullen

Heh. :D

20. LordVonPunx

lol i know i just got home from my friends, and was gonna play AVP :( i wonder if it has anything to do with that 17 year old Hacker Back in 08?>

21. Gekidami

lol

It seems that Sony thinks they’ll have this fixed “by morning” without any trophy or game save casualties.

22. clynchehaun

MW2 won’t start up either, as it syncs the trophies at start up. So I just switched on Valkyria Chronicles instead, which is ironic that its now a benefit it doesn’t have trophies and therefore no trophy problems.

23. JimFear666

lol @ the .gif

24. Psychotext

Hopefully the Euro engineers will be up and about soon so maybe we’ll get another update.

25. Robo_1

It’ll be an epic mess if it’s a problem which effects offline consoles too. They simply won’t be online to take advantage of the inevitable firmware fix, so if I were Sony, I’d be hoping that waiting until tomorrow will fix the problem for those people.

26. Johnny Cullen

Give me Twinkies or give me death, motherfuckers!

Watch for the love of God. XD

27. Edward Cullen

^^LOL!!!
    /chewbacca wail

but seriously, some people have been speculating that it’s about the internal clock of the ps3 having problems because of the leap year. So it doesn’t matter if you don’t open your ps3 now or didn’t connect it to PSN ever it will still be affected.

28. Bulk Slash

^ Yeah that sounds very likely, especially since some people are having problems even without going online. IIRC Microsoft’s Zune had the same problem with 1st March last year.

29. Edward Cullen

Yeah so most probably it will be fixed by tomorrow? Hopefully so, some friends i know are already disposing their unit.

30. jnms

@Bulk – Um, it isn’t a leap year this year! Last leap year was 2008, next leap year is 2012. Leap years are every 4 years, and the year has to be dividable by 4.

31. The Hindle

I want compensating Sony if you dont fix this!!!!!!

32. Edward Cullen

From NEOGAF Forums:
    (Originally Posted by iammeiam)
    “What’s apparently effed, as speculation goes, is when the internal GMT-tracking rolls over to 3/1. It’s either not rolling, or rolling to 2/29, at which point a system tries to add/subtract from 2/29, which it can’t do because the front-end calendar doesn’t have a 2/29/2010, and #@*^ explodes. Seemed to happen around 4PM PDT, which I think is 12AM GMT, so.

And the PS3 launched in 2006; it’s hit 4 2/28s so far. 2007 and 2009 were odd-numbered years; 2008 was an even, and a leap year. 2010 is the first even non-leap-year the system’s been around for. If some sort of base-level math is choking on itself, it may have ruled out the odd 2007 and 2009 successfully, but is convinced the even 2010 is a leap year (this part I’m less sure of, but is why leap year could theoretically come into play at some point.)”

33. jnms

Ahh, thanks for that Edward – makes things a lot clearer!

34. Edward Cullen

yeah,no prob good to be of help. :)

35. OlderGamer

Hope this doesn’t sink PS3s comeback. Sony has a lot of momentium right now.

Last night we got zapped on our BC PS3, it fires up about half of the time. It gets hung in a loop the other half. Can play Civ Rev, but not FF(PSone classic/dlc) or anything online.

All I can think of is that MS replaced RRoD. Sony better step up and make this right. And I don’t want to lose my BC system.

36. No_PUDding

Balls I turned mine on, but didn’t try anything.

Hope it gets fixed tonight, after midnight.

37. Eregol

I got some unsynced trophies.
    I’ll try turning mine on tomorrow. Don’t want to lose them.

38. No_PUDding

I don’t see how this can’t be fixed with a firmware update.

It’s not bricked my PS3 in any physical manner.

39. vincentw00t

Probably got confused because there’s only 28 days in Feb.

40. Eregol

Whose fucking idea were leap years anyway?

Ahhh, had to be this guy didn’t it?

41. Dr.Ghettoblaster

So the bigger question is, since many hard-drive games are not loading up due to this “internet/network” problem……what’s going to happen 10-20 years down the road when I want to dig my PS3 out of storage and fire up some of my games?

Now I’m worried we might experience this same issue then leaving us gameless during those future days when we want to retro-game.

42. MushroomStamp

This is f’n hysterical.. bahahahh..

43. SplatteredHouse

What will happen, Dr. Ghetto, is that all the world’s PS3s will be saved, and catastrophe averted, because you’ll have used your own forewarning to have prepared and retained the programming know-how (and assembled the tools) to have prepared a solution to the flaw before people’s archived games can ever be rendered as good as coasters. Then you’ll grab a beer, rip the ringpull kick back and smile contentedly, if not a bit smugly.