Microsoft believes it “will outsell the PS3″ in 2010, says Greenberg

Tuesday, 23rd February 2010 21:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xbox360logoa21

Aaron Greenberg has said that not only is Xbox 360 ahead of PS3 as far as the install base is concerned, but that when Microsoft says that 2010 is going to be the biggest year in Xbox history – you better believe it.

Speaking with D’toid during X10, Greenberg summed up the reasons why people should choose an Xbox 360 over PS3 – despite Sony having “a lot of great games” on offer.

“Hopefully we made it clear, that when we said this was going to be the biggest year in the history of Xbox, we’ve come back a month later [with X10] and shown you just a glimpse of what we’ve got lined up,” Greenberg told the site.

“We’ve got AAA-exclusive blockbusters month after month this year, we had a great January – we outsold the PS3 by a pretty solid margin – and we believe we will outsell the PS3 for the full year, like we did in 2009.

“According to NPD we have roughly double the install base [of PS3] however, we never underestimate our competition.

“We know they have a lot of great games, that they are very formidable, and they have a great history in this industry – but at the same time we believe that if you are a gamer and you want great games, we have more titles, we have more exclusives, and we have the leading online community.

“Plus we’re able to bring completely innovative technology to market like Natal this holiday.

“These are all things that make us unique”.

During X10, MS revealed the Halo: Reach Beta, loads of information on Alan Wake, revealed a bit on Fable 3, and gave release dates for the new Game Room and Perfect Dark on XBLA – all on slate for 2010.

Natal is also expected this year, and Greenberg promises that MS will be very careful with what it releases for the motion sensor peripheral.

1. Michael O’Connor

To be honest, X10 had a piss-poor line-up. If they think that’s going to beat Sony’s output for 2010… they’re kidding themselves.

They’re *some* good stuff amongst all the derivative crap in Microsoft’s 2010 line-up, but 2007 this is not.

2. Alakratt

I think they’re forgetting that the PS3 has exclusives too and unannounced games still. If I were Greenberg, I would just STFU and wait ’till we’re like in Q3 of the year.

3. Alakratt

Wow O’Connor, didn’t expected that from you. Weren’t you playing Demons’ Souls?

4. Gekidami

He should have started with: “Halo Reach comes out this year”. Then stopped.

5. Razor

So, he’s just talking about US then? PS3 outsold 360 worldwide in ’09

6. Eregol

I don’t see a lot out for either machine after March this year really.
    PS3 has God of War 3, other than that I see nothing for the machine this year.

Same goes for the 360 after Alan Wake (if you can include it).
    It’ll be a tight year, but I reckon the PS3 will edge it, as there are more people out there who don’t a PS3 than who don’t own a 360.

2010 could be a quiet year for gaming.

7. NiceFellow

I presume from the mention of NPD he means US only.

Although, given how easily people in US (sorry, but you do) assume that what’s happening in US is consistent elsewhere I can see MS happy to simply use US numbers to imply global results and trends.

Anyway, I do expect 360 to outsell PS3 in US this year but unless they see a big change of trend I also expect PS3 to outsell 360 worldwide.

8. Michael O’Connor

“Wow O’Connor, didn’t expected that from you.”

Of course you didn’t. Because I’m such a huge 360 fanboy and all, right?

Fable III was about the only thing at X10 that I found even remotely interesting, but I have a soft spot for Molyneux so there you go. Alan Wake also looks like it’ll be decent.

The rest? Stuff nobody really gives a damn about, and some of the most horribly derivative games I’ve seen in a long time. Does anyone even *care* about Splinter Cell anymore?

9. Razor

Yeah, US is the place where MS use to gloat about 360 sales. Sony need to step it up ten-fold in the States.

10. Benjo1981

@Razor: I think you could be slightly off-base there mate, 360 outsold PS3 by over 400,000 units in ’09.

11. Benjo1981

Sorry..my bad..US figures. Apologies Razor.

12. Michael O’Connor

@ Benjo1981

So they’re basically neck and neck then?

This is just marketing PR bullshit from Greenberg. He has a natural born talent for this stuff.

13. Danlord

@10 – According to VGChartz for the period of 28th Dec 2008 to 02nd Jan 2010 PS3 outsold Xbox 360 by about 2.25 million units.

Sony PS3 sold 12,844,794 million, Xbox 360 sold 10,595,679 million units.

Playstation 3 have a far superior lineup than Microsoft purely going on exclusives. Let me reel in some that are surely going to be brilliant. God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Modnation Racers, Heavy Rain [I'm in UK so currently I dont have it yet], Final Fantasy XIV, Agent. Then there is the unannounced games which, as they’re heavily rumoured Killzone 3, Resistance 3, InFamous 2 and now Motorstorm 3. There is bound to be more as like we saw at the shock of E3 2009 of the revelation of FF XIV, so bring on E3.

14. Robo_1

PR man talks PR :)

Now that Sony have stepped it up, expect the back handed compliments and chest beating to go to new and unseen heights.

15. Benjo1981

Indeed he does. Naturally good at his job. He’s no worse than that Dyer dude from Sony..

16. Benjo1981

VG also had Sony as leading in Europe for a while there..when other, slightly more reputable sources have MS well ahead. I think all figures need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

17. Razor

Please don’t use VGChartz. It’s not big and it’s not clever :)

18. Benjo1981

I hear rumours that FF14 is not exclusive. As soon as Square sort out how to do an MMO properly on Live..it’ll be there. I’d guess an announcement at E3..

19. Danlord

Regardless of Final Fantasy XIV, there are still many exclusives that are surely going to be fantastic hopefully selling millions as some of these games if not all of them deserve high sales. Gran Turismo 5 is going to be absolutely legendary for sure, Forza 3 best enjoy its limelight because as soon as GT5 is released, it will absolutely destroy it in all aspects, especially sales. I’m having a Patcher moment and predicting GT5 to sell 4m+ sales on the first day, 5m in the first week the entire month [whatever that month be] to be around 6-7m units. I think that GT5 will be getting a worldwide release aswell which would be good I guess for sales and as Sony sell consoles for big games, surely they’ll sell at least 400,000 consoles. They sold over 250,000 PS3′s in Japan during the week FF XIII was released so Gran Turismo, being a massive franchise aswell will sell many consoles along with the game..

20. Michael O’Connor

FFXIV is only a timed console exclusive.

21. Benjo1981

I’m certain Sony and MS are going to have a great year of games. You lose a bit of credibility with your GT prediction. GT is a hardcore racing sim..it’s unlikely it’s going to do those kind of numbers in that kind of timeframe.

22. Danlord

Exclusive nontheless :P no matter how long, plus we don’t know for sure whether FFXIV will see the light of day on XBL as they were having issues with Live, possibly due to having the Gold subscription AND FFXIV subscription for consumers.

But anywho, Greenberg did say that in September that Greenberg admits that the PS3 would outsell the 360 [because of the slim and price-cut] but that they’d beat PS3 via calendar year which they didn’t. I know you say don’t use VGChartz but they update their tally upon official press releases or documentation via Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo etc.. If he is on about in North America then sure they beat PS3 but worldwide PS3 beat 360.

23. Benjo1981

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an offical release of monthly sales figures for Europe. US and Japan maybe…but not Europe. All we get is either company periodically loudmouthing their overall install base. However, you then need to factor in the seemingly inherent confusion between ‘shipped’ and ‘sold’ numbers. So it seems no clear number for Europe is available. So where does VG get their numbers for Europe?

24. Benjo1981

So, basically, any discussion regarding global sales figures for any console is based upon speculation. Little point, me thinks..

25. Danlord

@21 – Gran Turismo 5 is highly anticipated game by many and even though Sony haven’t been know for great advertising they’ll surely do an ad-campaign, Gran Turismo titles have been selling 9m + units, with GT3 selling 14.89m units so I’m just going on this assumption, plus with this Gran Turismo being the biggest and best it could possibly happen.

Bearing in mind, Uncharted 2 has just reached 3.5m copies and MGS4 selling 5m but I’m doing a ‘patcher’ moment so I am obviously going to be off by quite a bit ;) but Gran Turismo 5 is probably going to be the biggest title for Playstation 3 as it has always been with the Playstations[granted GTA:San Andreas sold more for PS2 but meh] and is a system seller for Sony. However I’ll keep my predictions to myself as they do seem a bit far-fetched but that’s how I think it may turn out.

26. Razor

The amount of people who continue to underestimate Gran Turismo is quite startling…even after Prologue as well.

27. Benjo1981

We’ll see…when it finally turns up..

28. The Hindle

God of war 3 and Gt 5 will sell consoles as most fans have yet to even pick a Ps3 up for these games. Halo Reach im thinking most Halo fans would of bought a 360 for Halo 3.

29. IL DUCE

u suck and so does ps3…get over it…much more people play 360 and will continue playing ps3, and outselling it…at least we don’t talk shit unnecessarily like your wanna-be execs…mass effect 2 outsold everything in january and february by insane margins which goes to show you…and it will outsell uncharted 2 soon enough

30. Johnny Cullen

To be honest Michael, I wouldn’t call Halo: Reach, Dead Rising 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Fable III, Alan Wake and a couple more I can’t think of “a piss-poor line-up”.

Also, considering potential announcements at GDC and E3, I wouldn’t rule out MS yet.

MS tend to do this every year with their line-up at the start of the year. I always think there’s more games on the PS3 then 360.

Normally one year it’s right, the next it’s not.

I’ll say Microsoft’s line-up for the first half of this year is probably a lot better then that in most recent times thoough, just for Alan Wake alone probably, as well as third-party stuff like Mass Effect 2.

31. zoopdeloop

Deffinitely Microsoft doesn’t have a “piss-poor line-up”this year but FFXIII doesn’t belong in their exclusives list Johny nonetheless also being the “inferior” version.

It’s just like Bayonetta even though it is multiplatform it feels right playing it and it does look a lot better on 360 thus making 360 it’s benchmark.FFXIII isn’t poorly ported like Bayonetta was on the ps3 but there are some slight differences thus making ps3 it’s benchmark.

So just like Bayonetta fits on the 360′s line up it’s the same with FFXIII which fits better on Sony’s line up

32. Johnny Cullen

I only mentioned the list as those games that was at X10, not apart of an “exclusives list”, innit. :P

33. Blerk

There’s a shocking lack of Crackdown 2 in this thread! Shame on you all!

34. Gekidami

Greenberg would rather focus on the coming games that arent shit no doubt. :D

35. Blerk

Why, I ought to kick you off a bridge for that! :-D

36. zoopdeloop

My bad then Johny :) Still we have our own opinion and can make judgement even if Microsoft or Sony want to “serve” things their way

37. onyxbox

PS3 has a number of exclusives in the bag just in the first quater of this year, such as MAG, Heavy Rain, God Of War, Yakuza, Mod Nation Racers, Demon’s Souls (I think)… we can assume GT5 is coming this year and perhaps The Last Guardian but I’m pretty sure if the first quater is this loaded then Sony have the rest of the year mapped out with a few exclusives we don’t know about yet.

MS need to wake up if they wan’t to compete on the ‘exclusives’ playing field.

Sure, ‘Natal’ will have a tone of exclusives but they’ll be a bunch of eye toy games that you have to play standing up and I’m not sure many of us will care too much about that and the people who do will already think they’ve pretty much got it in the form of a Wii.

38. daytripper

E3 will be interesting….

39. daytripper

@onyxbox i’m not defending microsoft and i understand your point but I think it’s a bit narrow minded to say “bunch of eye toy games” just yet, you havent seen what the line up is have you? you dont know what games are going to be for natal, same for goes for Sony’s thingy.

40. OlderGamer

Just a friendly reminder, whom ever wins between xbox360 and PS3 is simply in second place.

Not a fanboy, but honestly some of you folks think it matters if PS3 beats xb360 for a given month, or vica versa. The heated battle is for 2nd and 3rd. And by the time either of PS3 or XB360 catch up to Wii(if that ever happens), we will be at the doorstep of the next generation.

41. RGW1982

LOL @ 360 Outselling The PS3 In 2010.

Shit In One Hand, Hope In The Other Microsoft & See Which Hand Fills Up Faster.

42. c4rahab

they will beat ps3 if they sold xbox for a dollar.