Codemasters hires Black senior designer to work on new shooter IP

Monday, 15th February 2010 20:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Black

Codemasters has confirmed to CVG that its hired Stuart Black to work on a brand new shooter IP for the studio.

The publisher also confirmed its hired former Game Director at SCE’s Studio London Tom Gilio and the former Senior Producer on Split/Second Andew Wilson.

Black worked on, umm, Black for EA Criterion for PS2 and Xbox as senior designer, with a release back in 2006 for both consoles alongside studio boss Alex Ward as director of the project.

The last shooter Codies had released was back last year, when the firm published Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Michael O’Connor

Racist!

2. Razor

Just make Black 2 for Gawd sake.

3. Johnny Cullen

WHITE POWER!

4. Bulk Slash

I guess the TOCA/McRae money must be running out and they want their own Call of Duty to whore out every year.

5. Gekidami

Cant be worst then the disaster that was Flashpoint 2.

6. Dr.Ghettoblaster

LOL@#1

Black was probably the best FPS on PS2.

7. Grimrita

I know what it is, i know what it is… but i cant say.

8. DUFFKING

Didn’t like Black one bit. Found it really, really boring. Terrible AI too, it just respawned the exact same enemy types in the exact same room, who then ran to the exact same spot 3 times in a row. Yawn.

Only levels I enjoyed were the Asylum and the Bridge.

9. RGW1982

Gekidami Likes Little Kid FPS Games Like MW2, Give Him A Realistic Modern Warfare Simulator & He Cries About What A “disaster” It Was.. Sorry But Stick To Your Kids Games, Games Made For Adults Scare You & Are Obviously Way Too Hard For You.

For Those Of Us That Have Online Friends, We Quite Enjoyed The Realism Of The Game Playing Through The Entire Campaign In 4 Player Co-Op, Plus The Add-On That Introduced Total Freeroam Of The 220KM Island Felt Like A Game Of It’s Own.

As Far As Game Play & Realism In A FPS Is Concerned, Nothing On Any Of The Consoles Even Comes Close.

10. DaMan

I liked Black, it was quite good for a PS2 game.

11. polygem

black wasn´t very original, that´s true. ai wasn´t very clever, also true…but it still was a great shooter and a lot of fun. the weapons sounded and felt great…i enjoyed all the levels. great explosions and destructive enviroments (we´re talking ps2 – i was so stunned by that back then). i really really enjoyed this game for what it was – a shooter- it had a very slick overall presentation and an arcade style feeling to it. i would LOVE to hear about black 2…but there´s a lot of competition shooterwise nowadays so if they plan to create b2 they should take their time to make it a really good game…

12. DUFFKING

I dunno poly, I just found it so… dull. I play a lot of FPS games (it’s pretty much my diet), and it felt so dreary and lifeless. Just lacked any spark whatsover for me. The border crossing level was a particular lowlight, just felt like one long trudge

13. Hunam

Black was great, every gun seemed to feel like it could destroy all of man kind each time you pulled the trigger. It’s like Army of Two in a way, except for being awesome and single player. It did have the worst cutscenes in the world though, bar none. Unskippable too, I used to actually just walk off and leave the game running (it has those Press X to start mission screens so you could do it without missing anything important :P).

14. DaMan

oh yeah, I remember. the story was complete shit, and for some reason they decided to make videos unskippable. that was really annoying.

15. DUFFKING

You see the guns felt weak to me Hunam. Great sound effects for sure, but unless you got a straight headshot it could take a ridiculous amount of bullets to kill. May not seem to serious a complaint, but it felt like the hitboxes were off a lot of the time, the crosshair would be covering an enemy’s face and he’d act like you’d shot him in the body, over and over.

It’s weird, I expected to love Black but it left me so, so cold. I really tried to like it, but nope.

16. KatieSx28

Did you use an assistance of a essays online service for your distinguished data? I guess that you have great analysis essay writing skillfulness. Thank you very much for this!

17. Hunam

Well, to be honest the baddies did take more punishment than they should but the look, feel and sound of the guns when you fired them made you feel like a god.

Thanks Katie, I like my work to stand out. Do you want my credit card numbers and pin codes now or in the mail?

18. DaMan

Katie, you won’t fool me. you soulless bot!

19. pleasant_cabbage

RE: Black
    (Imo) It wasn’t that the enemies took too much damage, nor that guns seemed too weak, although it sure seemed that way at times, the real woe was that there was a scripted line you had to pass before enemies took damage.

So if you saw them from 100yrds or so and started plugging them (and it showed them wobbling and gettin hit) they could sustain this forever unless you passed that magic invisible line, only then could they feel pain. It was shitty.