Moore: Apple tablet has “got the ability to be a games machine”

Wednesday, 27th January 2010 11:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

appletablet

EA Sports boss Peter Moore has told Bloomberg that the incoming Apple tablet has “got the ability to be a games machine.”

“If it’s got a great screen, some buttons, you can turn it on and it connects to the Internet, it’s got the ability to be a games machine,” he said.

Moore does state, though, that whatever he has heard so far on the tablet is based only on media reports.

The tablet, given many names thus far like iTablet, iPad etc, is set to be announced at a media event held by Apple in San Francisco tonight.

EA may have a part to play during the event later on.

We have our stupidly obscene amount of money on stand-by to pre-order it with.

1. polygem

i want a tablet 360

2. Len

I just a want a tablet…to take the pain away…oh, oops… ;)

3. mington

the press conference start at 1pm UK time, i think

here’s a link to a live blog for when it all gets going

4. mington

could have natal like capabilities

quote: One game being worked on at the publisher allows gamers to move a map with one hand and do the “mouse work” with the other using a combination of multitouch and “gestures.” (through the camera….if it has a camera :) )

5. epic_wanderer

1.00pm EST is 6.00pm UK time I think

6. Blerk

And yours for only ONE BILLION DOLLARS!

7. mington

a quick google and i got 10am pacific, 1pm eastern

8. mington

good read, could be bs

* it’s “the most amazing device ever”
    * it will cost $599, $699 or $799, depending on the screen size and internal memory
    VN:F [1.6.2_892]
    * it has thumb pads on each side (for mouse gestures)

so forget about that natal shit i just posted :)

9. G1GAHURTZ

I WANT ONE!

10. mington

08:00AM – Hawaii
    10:00AM – Pacific
    11:00AM – Mountain
    12:00PM – Central
    01:00PM – Eastern
    06:00PM – London
    07:00PM – Paris
    09:00PM – Moscow
    03:00AM – Tokyo (January 28th)

yeah 6pm UK, FACT

if anyone finds a live streaming video of the conference could they post the link in the forum

11. Syrok

Would be neat if it head a built in projector.

12. Bulk Slash

Nooo, don’t bring the tablet madness here! There needs to be somewhere on the internets not talking about the iTablet/iPad/iPod Biggo.

13. Retroid

News video leaked!

14. mington

@13 is it april the 1st? i’m speachless, in a bad way :)

15. Gurdil

This tablet is shit, everyone who tested it (and wasn’t sponsored) agreed on that. Anyway it doesn’t have any usefulness in the first place.

16. G1GAHURTZ

everyone who tested it (and wasn’t sponsored) agreed on that.

Yo, you got any proof for that lie?

I reckon it will be pretty amazing, like a big iPhone that does more cool stuff…

…and stuff.

17. Gurdil

Proof? No, I admit I don’t have any but just look around on the Internet at non-fanboy sites and you’ll see… Plus, maybe I’m dumb but I really can’t see what could be so cool about this tablet. How is it going to make your life or even just your multimedia experience better?
    I mean sure you can walk around with it, great! Don’t you already have laptops with which you can do that? And cell phones too?

18. Syrok

“Plus, maybe I’m dumb but I really can’t see what could be so cool about this tablet.”

That would be because no one really knows what it will be like. :P

19. Gurdil

… Ok I’ll ask the same question differently maybe you’ll understand better: what could you possibly need this for? (Hope you understand I’m just talking about customer’s needs so there’s virtually no contraint). And sure we don’t know everything about the tablet but there were some leaks so yeah we got an idea of what it’s gonna be like

20. G1GAHURTZ

There were mp3 players before the iPod too, but what portion of the market do they take up now?

Sure, on the face of it, this is just an Apple tablet PC, but I’d rather have one of these rather than the likes of the HP TX-2 simply because I feel like I know exactly what I’m getting when I buy an Apple product.

21. Gurdil

Yeah G1GA I get your point. It’s true that Apple products’ quality is always good so that’s at least a good point. But I see one difference with the iPod and another one (that can be discussed and many might not agree but still) with the iPhone.
    The iPod is and has always been an enhanced mp3 player which means it answered the same needs as its competitors. It brought some enjoyable features and now iPod is the leader (by far), but the primary function is still the same (listening to music on the go)
    The iPhone arrived in the cell phone competition when the features of those cell phones seemed all reached, on a market where people want more features, even if they’re useless. Let’s be honest, not even a fifth of iPhone users use its full capabilities.
    For the tablet, the problem is the tech itself. Apple is unchallenged in the field of tech enhancements but we’re talking about introducing something new here. I mean sure there already are tablets but they’re not that popular and I think it’s because they don’t answer a need. Once again, I can be wrong and I’m delighted that you answer constructively.

PS: Just for the record because I guess some could think that: I’m not an Anti-Apple person. I have an iPod and a MacBook Pro, so… And even if I don’t have an iPhone I have an Android so it’s not like I’m against this type of cell phones either

22. Gekidami

“Yeah, but we all already had cell phones before the iPhone came out, and look at how that managed to revolutionise the market.

Practically every new phone is ‘An iPhone killer!’ or just a blatantly feeble attempt at a rip off.”

Personally i think the IPhone is one of the worst phones i’ve seen in a while. But i guess the app store atleast has got other companies copying it.

23. G1GAHURTZ

Sure, it’s not the best phone that I’ve ever owned, but after 3 or 4 years of Windows Mobile Smartphones, it generally works brilliantly as far as I’m concerned.

24. DrDamn

@Gurdil
    Apple have considered releasing a tablet for a very long time but not done it for the reasons you have raised … i.e. Why? What for? Seems they think they have some answers for this now – whether they are good answers or not remains to be seen but they do have some.

25. Gurdil

@DrDamn
    Didn’t know that, thanks for the piece of info. That’s good news, it means we’ll surely get the answer soon enough :)