Cut FFXIII content was enough for separate game, says Square Enix

By Johnny Cullen, Wednesday, 13 January 2010 11:30 GMT

ffxiii6

Final Fantasy XIII art director Isamu Kamikokuryou has told an unnamed Japanese publication – we assume it’s Famitsu – that there was so much content cut from the project, the team could have made a separate game from it.

The interview, picked up by FF-Reunion and translated by Andriasang, reveals there were a couple of locations cut from FFXIII, such as a full area around Lightning’s home town and a secret base of Snow’s resistance group, which would have been based in a shop and a zoo in Nautiuls Park.

All of the locations were apparently running on PS3 hardware, too.

If there was a reason for the linearity complaints in the game as it is, this could be it.

FFXIII ships for PS3 and 360 on March 9 in the west. It released last month in Japan.

Expect some new stuff to drop today, kids. Just a heads-up.

Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.

Comments

Headlines

Final Fantasy XIII

Final Fantasy XIII 2

  • Square-Enix financials: ¥5.7b loss amid 'increasingly difficult' console market

    Square-Enix had a strong run of IP last year, but its latest financial report makes for uneasy reading. The Japanese firm has published a loss of ¥5.7 billion for the nine-month period ended December 31st 2012, and cites the increasingly difficult console market as a key factor.

  • Next Final Fantasy XIII game to be announced at anniversary event

    This week’s Famitsu, via Andriasang, has a few more slim details regarding a promised announcement at a Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary event. Producer Yoshinori Kitase said Square Enix will announce a new title in the Final Fantasy XIII series. The new game, if that’s what it is, has just gone into production, and is being […]

Issmu Kamikokuryou