Valve says online retailers miss out by boycotting Steamworks

Thursday, 26th November 2009 14:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

steamlogo2

Valve’s Jason Holtman has told GI.biz that rival digital download sites like Direct2Drive, Impulse and Gamersgate that refuse to sell Modern Warfare 2 over the inclusion of Steamworks are missing out on business.

“To our minds, we think that if you’re making a good game and it’s got the services a customer wants it should get out in as many channels as possible. If you have a good portal and you’re good at collecting money from folks, and attracting them, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be,” said the business development director.

“We try to make those services that developers and our customers want. Whether another distributor wants to carry them or not, we don’t have any say in the matter, that’s between Activision and other online distributors.”

Direct2Drive accused Steamworks of “forcing the user to install a Trojan Horse” earlier in the month, and while Holtman didn’t “comment on the comment” he did say that a lot more games featuring the tool are set for release.

“The interesting thing is, those games that have Steamworks features in them are really made to be the things customers want. Developers are choosing the features that make the game better. There’s no service where there are features you have to have, developers are choosing between those, he said.

“There’s a lot of games that came out in 2009 with Steamworks, and they’ll be a lot more games in 2010 that have Steamworks.”

Grab the link for the rest.

1. Quiiick

Fuck Valve!
    Fuck Activision!
    This is NOT what customers want!

2. abbe

Quiiick:
    Its what I want.
    So, Fuck you?

3. Quiiick

@abbe

You want a a trojan horse on your computer?

The article is about “steamworks” and not the games they sell.

4. seregrail7

Steamworks isn’t a trojan horse, if you think it is then you’re the dumbass. It provides stat tracking and achievements and much more. I want those.

5. Quiiick

@ seregrail7

You, Sir, seem to have no idea what obscene amount of data Valve collects from your computer. Steamworks IS spyware.

Now, if they gave you a choice to state what data you’re willing to share and what data you don’t want to give away that would be a completely different ballgame. But they do not let you specify this!

Sure, they are not the only ones doing this kind of information theft, but does that make it anything better?

6. abbe

Quiiick:
    I didn’t talk about the games.
    Steam and Steamworks have never been a trojan horse.
    Dumbass.

7. Dodo

@ Quiiick
    It doesn’t take that much memory, atm it takes like 7mb on my computer, which is nothing compared to xfire (30mb) or firefox(120mb).

It also doesn’t extract information about your computer, only if you do the hardware survey.

It does track game data, but whats wrong with that?

And seeing you first comment you just have something personal against valve and steam. If you don’t like the way pc gaming is going, buy a console!

8. abbe

I think theyre pretty clear of what they collect, imo.

“Collection and Use of Information
    By using Valve’s online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.

“Aggregate information” is information that describes the habits, usage patterns, and demographics of users as a group but does not describe or reveal the identity of any particular user.

“Individual information” is information about a user that is presented in a form distinguishable from information relating to other users but not in a form that personally identifies any user or enables the recipient to communicate directly with any user unless agreed to by the user in advance of such communication. This information may be used to improve Valve’s products and online sites, for internal marketing studies, or simply to collect demographic information about Valve’s users.”

If youre so paranoid of the stuff they keep on you, I present this section to you:

Children Under The Age of 13
    Valve will not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from any person age 12 and under. Valve encourages parents to instruct their children to never give out personal information when online. Parents who are concerned about the transfer of personal information from their children may contact us at privacy@valvesoftware.com to obtain a record of any information held by Valve and have it removed at their request.

9. Michael O’Connor

*hands out tin-foil hats to nearly everyone in this thread*

Here you go. Have a nice day.

10. Dodo

@ abbe
    Steam btw doesn’t collect the like personal data(if you pay with a credit card it will however.)

The community site however takes every info it can get about the user!

11. abbe

Dodo:
    Indeed, but its not different from Play.com or any other site you buy things on.

You can set your profile to be private, only accessible by friends or public and if you REALLY want to be private you can also set yourself as offline on the friends list, then things wont even be recorded on the community site (afaik).

Or you can just play in offline mode, but that kinda breaks the point of steam. :)

I think that if anyone is really concerned about Steam or your privacy, you really need to get off the internet, because every site you go to have something to keep track of its visitors and their behaviour, hell, even I have one on the shared blog I write on.

12. blackdreamhunk

out of the big 3 DD, steam is the best. Then I would say it’s impuluse from stardock.

I don’t want to steam to control the pc dd market share. Here is why what if vavle retired and the next onwer hates pc gamers?

the reasons I like steam is because they put alot of effort into their DD.

I would say the same for impusle, those two are really good place to buy games online.

It’s really hard not to pass up on good sales too.

I have not tryed game tap but I hear they are good too.

when plane scape and bladerunner is on gog.com I wil be trying them out.

Steam just has alot more to offer pc gamers than must online DD

13. Dralen

I don’t mind it, but steamworks is a slight irritaton as well. If steam servers fuck up it means we cannot play our games.
    I also would like to say that I love steam, its great for PC gaming and its download service is the best.

14. Quiiick

@ abbe

“…I think that if anyone is really concerned about Steam or your privacy, you really need to get off the internet, because every site you go to have something to keep track of its visitors and their behaviour …”

No offense but this is the typical “take it or leave it” mentality. Black or white, no shades of grey allowed.

And yes, I do have my browser-cookies turned off by default while browsing the interwebs. Anything else is just plain naïv.
    It’s not about sharing no information at all, it’s about being able to 100% control what you want to share.

15. blackdreamhunk

our freedoms have already been taken over by the nwo

world war 3 is coming soon and so is the anti christ.

big brother has already happened over in uk.

I am not be suprised to see iran china and usa start world war 3.

16. freedoms_stain

@12, Why would anyone buy a pc game digital distribution system if they “hate pc gamers”?

@13, pretty sure Steam games can be played with Steam set to offline mode as long as the game has been acticated previously.

17. blackdreamhunk

@freedoms_stain

don’t you know it’s all about control and money these days :)

I mean looking who’s running the show on gaming these days.

personaly I really don’t care where i get my games. I am not going to pay $60 for game. when I can get it cheap on steam.

besides I don’t want to support retail any more. I mean gamestop screwed meny pc gamers already and I don’t like micro soft.

when onlive comes I’m moving over. Or any tech or company that will support good business for gamers.

I will not be supporting loser game devs either

i will not be buying any console junk too.

yea money sure does make money go around.

if needs be i would just stop gaming, I don’t have an adiction of any kind and don’t have to spend any money on games.

18. freedoms_stain

Right, money, so nobody gains anything by driving business away, right? So who the fuck cares as long as they continue to provide the same service?

19. blackdreamhunk

@freedoms_stain things are changing you can’t stop it.

i think people in big business should have thought of that long ago.

20. freedoms_stain

Thought of what? Changing things? Nah doubt they ever thought of that…

Could you be any more vague btw? I now have no idea what we’re talking about. Your frankly astounding gift for tangentry has me at a loss, and not for the 1st time.

21. blackdreamhunk

I thought you were a very smart guy lol. any way i have posted my thoughts.

my words are solid!

22. freedoms_stain

I’m certain you have posted your thoughts, that may well be the problem, they haven’t been translated into coherent English yet.

23. Dralen

Just thought I’d mention the only way you can get to steam in offline mode, is if your on steam already. You cannot start up in offline mode, unless on your previous shutdown you set it in offline mode.

24. MushroomStamp

I like steam and wish all pc games would go thru it… So stop speaking for all PC gamers.. because PLENTY of PC gamers like steam.

25. DarkElfa

Anyone that paranoid about stuff shouldn’t be on the internet ever.

…and control is an illusion, didn’t you watch the Matrix? Watch it now or the Agents will come for you Quiiick.

26. Phoenixblight

@Quiiick

All MMOs that are out currently collect data from you. Blizzard even has software that they use and give the info to the government to “track terrorists”

27. Jadeskye

I’m sitting here naked with a tin foil hat on.