New Super Mario Bros. Wii takes 40/40 from Famitsu

Tuesday, 24th November 2009 09:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nsmbw

The latest Famitsu’s given New Mario Bros. Wii a perfect score of 40/40, as you can see on Kotaku.

It’s the thirteenth game in the mag’s history to take top marks. The rest are:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
  2. Soulcalibur (1999)
  3. Vagrant Story (2000)
  4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003)

5. Nintendogs (2005)

6. Final Fantasy XII (2006)

7. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008)

8. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2008)

9. 428 (2008)

10. Dragon Quest IX (2009)

11. Monster Hunter Tri (2009)
  12. Bayonetta (2009)

Hit the link for picture proof.

1. Blerk

Another one? 40/40′s the new 30/40.

2. Hunam

Heh, you can tell the industry is overhyped when you go 9 years with 6 perfect scores and then 2 years with 7.

3. Michael O’Connor

Or maybe we’re just in a time where the industry is brimming with top notch quality gaming of the kind of standard that we only saw once in a blue moon in the past.

4. Hunam

Haha, good one, that tickled me :)

5. freedoms_stain

Or maybe with a vast increase in game output the percentage of ‘perfect’ games has remained fixed while the number has increased. 2001,2,4,7 were obviously shit years.

Or ones where nintendo weren’t up to much.

6. Michael O’Connor

Only a blinded cynic would be oblivious to how many games of exceptional quality are being released in this generation compared to the previous consoles.

7. Hero of Canton

Funny how everyone bangs on about Famitsu giving more 40s this generation than during the previous three when Edge has done exactly the same with its 10s.

8. Michael O’Connor

For games that entirely deserved it.

We’re lucky to be surrounded in this much quality. Not going to waste my time being cynical when there are so many amazing games on every format (Wii included) worth playing.

9. Psychotext

I have this…

…but have no component cables yet so I’m not going to play it. (The Wii looks bad enough on component, and utterly horrific with the built in cables)

10. Hero of Canton

@ Michael O’Connor – for the most part, I agree with you. I think that games are getting better all the time. Games aren’t like films – as the technology improves, so does the scope of what a game can give us. We’re blessed to have such an incredibly vast library of quality games this generation to choose from.

I’m just saying, people pick up on Famitsu’s more frequent perfect scores than they seem to do with Edge.

11. Blerk

We have the Edge rant over at EG every time they award a 10. :-)

FWIW, I agree – games are getting better. All the time.

12. Michael O’Connor

@Hero of Canton

Oh, agreed. I’m just saying these games entirely deserve those scores.

Most people don’t agree simply because their personal own tastes are incredibly limited and often console biased, and they’re completely incapable of seeing being their own preferences. I mean, if it’s a Wii game, it must be shite, right?! *sarcasm*

Here’s an interesting statistics for you. The Wii has the highest ratio of universally acclaimed Metacritic titles to platform exclusives of all the currently existing formats.

13. OlderGamer

I agree with Mr. O’conner to tell the truth. As far as games go the penical may well be upon us.
    One thing I notice is a lack of PSone/PStwo/PSthree games on that list(on the whole). Seems strange considering how well the systems have sold.
    I have played NSMBWii, I have to agree. Its amazing. I have not yet played all of the way through the game, so I can not pass judgment in total yet. But from what I have played …amazing. It is my game of the year. No doubt about that.

14. cachucha

I have a blast everytime i play the game with my friends or even alone