Heavy Rain producer weighs in on MW2 controversy

Friday, 13th November 2009 22:21 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

heavyrain

Quantic Dream’s Guillaume de Fondaumiere has told MTV that the controversial airport scene in Modern Warfare 2 should not be treated any different than scenes from a movie.

“My take on it is very simple. I don’t see any reason why video games should be treated differently than movies, for instance,” he told MTV. “I think that we should leave game creators free of expressing their vision as they see fit. I think the guys at Infinity Ward had something very precise in mind when they did this scene.

“The real danger for me is, when you put out such a scene out of context. I can take any movie and take a sequence and make up a story and it will look like something that’s amoral or that crosses the line. This is most of the time what happens in video games [in the media].”

More through the link.

1. JonFE

He should know. The strip-tease scene, taken out of context, could be flagged as controversial in my humble opinion.

2. Ashelia Bnargin Dalmasca

Oh, Fox News will be *all over* that strip scene as soon as Heavy Rain comes out.

3. Razor

Is that a pun? I can’t tell.

4. hitnrun

Forget video games vs _____; I don’t see why that scene is controversial in the first place, compared to what happens in just about every M-Rated (in the US) game.

Just for comparison, the first Modern Warfare featured a slow-motion gun suicide, the execution of two defenseless prisoners (one of a POW by a British soldier, the other from First Person where “you” are shot in the face), and the detonation of a nuclear weapon that destroys a major city including you, the player, who survives just long enough to see that all your friends are dead.

EDIT: I think it’s pretty obvious that what’s stirring this “controversy” is Activision itself. If you don’t believe that, consider that they point it out to you before you even begin with the “warning” and joke “option to skip”. At least they didn’t go the full Rockstar and actually bait legislatures.

5. Wakkum

Mission itself was horribly done. Could have been so much better.

6. NoxNoctisUmbra

Of course IW cross the line..

7. MasterChiefFenix

bravo, hitnrun. but it still doesn’t change the fact that VideoGames=Heaven/FoxNews=Well, u know.

8. reask

OK folks lets take fallout 3.
    Nuke a town
    Take out individual body parts
    Heads exploding.

This is just crap as far as I am concerned.
    All video games today go for gore and nobody cares.
    Why you may ask. Because that is what punters want.

9. NoxNoctisUmbra

@ reask

Fallout 3 is super imaginary world its so OUT there that you don’t wanna take it too seriously it just happens to be on American soil after Nuclear holocaust its like a cartoon.. MW2 is set in current time, with same exact world, one shot one kill .. no laser guns, etc.. to play as a terrorist to kill innocent people at airport is just too much.

10. tatsujin

He’s a director. But, I have no freaking idea what he’s talking about. o.o dun even care. I’m getting Heaven Rain anyways.

11. freedoms_stain

So, just for clarity, the following things are ok to depict/digitally enact as long as the setting is not current day:

Murder
    Burglary
    Robbery
    Nuclear devastation
    Dismemberment
    Slavery
    Genocide
    Vampirism
    Cannibalism
    Cruelty to animals

And probably a bunch of other nasty shit that takes place in FO3.

Probably Terrorism too, those kids in the Republic of Dave looked mighty terrified as I systematically wiped out their parents and every single person in their world…

Games an 18, free reign imo. Slap a warning on the back and we’re all go for pretty much any carnage imaginable.

12. Psychotext

I’d like to be a wholesale quality brand shoe.

13. Dannybuoy

Thanks Susan. Now piss off.

14. OrbitMonkey

I played the whole level and only fired about 3 times at the armed police to move things along and felt bad about that. Obviously its meant to shock and provke, but your never forced to gun down civilians.

15. itzdrdoomm

the game warns you that there is offensive material, and gives you the option to skip, and if you choose not to skip, though shit if you’re offended it gives you a fair warning