First EA MMA screen looks impressive, painful

Wednesday, 28th October 2009 02:39 GMT By Nathan Grayson

EAMMA_1

UFC: Undisputed may have beaten it to the punch, but EA’s MMA game is far from down for the count – at least, if this first screenshot is any evidence.

Honest to God, we thought it was a real image of Fedor Emelianenko putting the hurt on some poor, soon-to-be cast-wearing chump. But no, it’s an actual in-game image. It says so right on the game’s Facebook page.

Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’re going to stop staring at the screen. Our arms are starting to hurt.

1. El_MUERkO

legs and feet look all wrong and he looks asleep, maybe it’ll look better in motion, UFC 2010 hasn’t been announced yet but it assuming it’s a step forward from 2009 then EA MMA has a lot of work to do and that screenshot doesn’t fill me with confidence

2. McLovin85

‘Honest to God, we thought it was a real image of Fedor Emelianenko’

Oh yeah, Fedor Emelianenko….that guy….

Honestly, UFC is pretty cool but i don’t really follow it at all. But MMA…come on, does anyone really know what it even is??
    Pardon my ignorance in advance, but i really couldn’t give two shits about this game. Just thought i’d get that out there. Good night.

3. Uncontested

For not caring you sure wrote a lot. So what exactly was the point of that other being asinine?

But back to the game.. As soon as I saw the shot I thought ‘meh’ Undisputed will be king for a long time.. good job EA burning bridges with the UFC ‘its not even a real sport’

Great hind sight!!

4. Nathan Grayson

@McLovin85:

First of all, MMA = UFC. Mixed martial arts is to UFC as, say, baseball is to MLB or American football is to NFL. Second, it’s not too surprising that you haven’t heard of Fedor. He’s considered to be one of the top heavyweight fighters in the world, but hasn’t fought outside of Japan all that much. He recently signed with a North American MMA organization called Strikeforce, though, so EA’s putting him in its game.

Hope that clears things up for you!

5. BeastModeYMOB

Mixed Martial Arts is my favorite sport next to the NFL. This game had better come close of past Dana Whites game out now. Oh yea McLovin85…MMA fighters are some of the most respected and badass dudes on the planet. From the USA on over to the UK, its pretty fuckin hardcore. You should youtube some highlights. I’ve been doin MMA training myself for the past 6months. I’m only 5’11, 145lbs. and I bet I could kick someones ass that is bigger than me. MMA is the reason my daughters will have a better chance to fight off pedos if they try anything too!

6. McLovin85

Fair play guys, didn’t realise MMA was quite what i thought it was but still, is it really the same or more popular than UFC? And if so isn’t this more of a US loved sport like NASCAR (or Japanese as you pointed out).

7. BeastModeYMOB

No it is loved AROUND THE WORLD. It is what the UFC is using in the cage. The same moves you see the fighters in the UFC do is call MMA. The is the name of the fighting style. Mixed Martial Arts is exactly what it says ok. Oh yea NASCAR is crap lol I don’t like that shit. I’m not a hick or a cousin fucker.

8. Spaced Oddity

@ El_MUERkO

If Yuke’s Pacific did UFC, then you can expect it to be like the Smackdown VS Raw franchise; the same old shite recycled year after year with hit-or-miss changes to the features with a snail’s crawl of a progression to the series. I didn’t play UFC but the few people I knew who did (and are MMA fans) loved it. However, I have been playing SvR for many years and it’s made me quite the bitter bastard toward anything Yuke’s Pacific.