Spector – Epic Mickey went to Wii because of “congenial audience”

Saturday, 24th October 2009 10:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

warrenspector3

Warren Spector’s explained the reasoning behind bringing Epic Mickey exclusively to Wii, saying the game’s simply the right fit for the console’s audience.

The below quote’s taken from a massive – and excellent – Game Informer interview:

GI: Why the Wii?

WS: Well, think about it. Would you really want to tackle convincing Halo or Grand Theft Auto players that they want to be Mickey Mouse? Would you really want to do that? In terms of finding a congenial audience, let’s go for a platform that’s known for Mario and Link and now Sonic. Come on. Honestly, with the unit sales on the hardware, it was kind of a lucky happenstance. We made the call to go to the Wii long before it was clear that the Wii was going to be, at least for now, the best-selling platform.

It was about going where the audience is and going somewhere where they’re going to accept a visual style that is more cartoony than people are used to seeing and where we don’t feel obliged to throw in every shader on the planet. “Look at the normal maps and shaders.” We don’t have to do that kind of stuff. It’s the right platform for this project, for sure.

Definitely have a read of that piece, Saturday people. The game’s out next year.

1. alimokrane

Well, I dont own a Wii, I love Halo and I would have bought your game Spector!

2. mescalineeyes

do they not realize games don’t really sell on the wii?

3. SplatteredHouse

The audience that when they were younger, played the Disney games, and enjoyed those properties, probably DIDN’T move to Wii. It’s fundamentally opposed to what they had traditionally learned to control the games with.

Now, Warren mentions that he feels that the HALO/GTA’ers would have no interest in the experience he will present; but I think that’s rubbish, because, those same players would have been astounded when Mario first stood in the grounds of Peach’s Castle, in Super Mario 64, and panned the camera about, I believe.

Many are, or were, still open to the charm of something in the vein of Epic Mickey, but those games (and arguably, the sway of video game development, as it skewed “mainstream”) left them behind, it abandoned them, and started insisting on bald space marines, characterless, often ultimately superficial action shooters and the rest, as it pursued Hollywood, ever more doggedly.

Anyway, my main point is that I disagree with Mr. Spector’s view, that the audience doesn’t exist outside of the Wii for a game like Epic Mickey, but more I think it’s the case that he and his team have chosen to ignore it.
    I’m also a little concerned to see this developer falling back on jaded stereotypes to reinforce his opinion.

Hopefully, it’s just business decision/climate talking, but I don’t like the sound of “we’ll never reach them, so we’d better not try”, really. I just think there’s a way it can be done, and should be, but probably won’t, unfortunately.

4. Santa Clause

“do they not realize games don’t really sell on the wii?”

Hahaha… dear lord…

5. Edward Cullen

hey look at little big planet, mr spector.

6. pracer

To be fair LBP didn’t sell well either. Just saying. It was ‘possed to revolutionize and it just trickled out of the gates.

I still agree tho that the Mickey Game would have been best suited for the better systems. It should have a Digital download game.

7. Redh3lix

LBP had certainly sold well over a million as of Dec 2008 and continues to sell. There’s well over three million (and counting) levels being produced by the public. I wouldn’t say it didn’t sell well tbh.

8. Santa Clause

“To be fair LBP didn’t sell well either.”

To date, the game has sold nearly 2 million copies to date, and is still selling. The assumption that the game sold poorly is based *solely* on the media latching onto reports of the game’s initial sales being less than what the company expected them to be, and *nothing* more – and those reports are nearly a year ago.

Do some research before you spout misinformation as facts.

9. pracer

Do you guys look up other sales numbers of games on other systems? 2 million and its been out how long? Sure its good, but it isn’t mega normious blockbuster huge. LBP is top of the line for what it is, but its sales number don’t set the world on fire. There are other games that do 1.5plus mill in one freaken month.

To some degree I agree with Spector. This type of game might have a better chance on Wii … on paper. But, altho I can see where he is coming from, I think he may also be overlooking a few things here. But to assume that Mickey will see tons more on a PS3 is kinda short sighted too. This thing will have limited impact in its current form no matter what they do or where they sell it.

Best place for a new Mickey is to be mulitplatform(at the lest), and should be on XBLA/PSN/WiiWare. It should be semi 2D(think Kolona(sp?)) – 2D gameplay 3D world. It should cost 19usd to download, and I think that would fly off the “shelf”. I think as it is it will compete with Galaxy 2, and blend into dozens of other family friendly overly colorful boxes on the wii shelf. I think that is a battle Mickey loses.

10. Santa Clause

“2 million and its been out how long? Sure its good, but it isn’t mega normious blockbuster huge.”

It doesn’t have to be “mega normious blockbuster huge.” It still sold well, contrary to your claim that it didn’t.

“I think as it is it will compete with Galaxy 2, and blend into dozens of other family friendly overly colorful boxes on the wii shelf.”

How about we wait until the thing actually comes out before we judge its quality?

11. Gekidami

‘Spector’, thats one bad ass name!

“it isn’t mega normious blockbuster huge”

12. Santa Clause

“I hope your just talking about its sales and not the games over all quality, because i along with most of the gaming media (based off reviews) would have to disagree.”

Easily my game of 2008, personally.

13. pracer

Read my post, all of it, not just the part that you guys often trasnlate into “lets fight about the PS3″. Some of you folks have a bad case of that, no offense.

LBP is a ingenious little game. But it has not matched the sales of other top selling games. In that light it was not the kind of overwhelming succesful sales story that was ment by:

“hey look at little big planet, mr spector.”

LBP sold, respectably. Your gonna flame me for this but deal with it. ODST just sold 1.5 million in three weeks. And to be honest I think ODST sales were lower then a lot of people expected them to be. Look at the Gears games, the CoD games, the EA sport games, lets see what UC2 does. LBP just didn’t have those kinda of numbers. Sometimes games have longer tails of sale. LBP is more like that kind of game. But if your talking long tail, compare LBP to Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, WiiPlay. And to be honest I think that those games are what Spector had in mind when picking Wii as host platform. Mickey isn’t Master Chief. So I see his point. But I still say that as a game like i described abouve Mickey would sell very well, maybe even Shadow Complex/Castle Crasher lvl numbers. Or maybe not. Maybe the new game will sell 2.5 million in the first month out with a long tail and taily 10million in all. I doubt it but hey ya never know.

14. No_PUDding

He has a point, if they made the decision before the Wii had taken off.

But I bet it’s scary to see a lot of other non-casual games reaching that horizon and just dropping off a cliff.

15. pracer

I guess that is also a good question: How hardcore is the new Mickey gonna be? I kind of assume they will dumby it down for the Wii. Only time will tell.

16. Santa Clause

If people want to play these “core” titles, all they have to do is buy a Wii.

If they already sold their Wiis because they couldn’t be bothered to be patient for titles to come out (and there *are* some great core titles on the console), well… that’s *their* loss. I for one will be enjoying these games as they come out.

17. pracer

I still have my Wii, its a great place to pick up vc games that no longer have working batteries in the cart version. That way I or my kids can still enjoy them. My 16yr old just played the SNES Metriod for the first time. He loved it, said it is his fav Metriod game(all he played before was the GC/Wii prime games.

Also one of the best DLC games of this generation is on WiiWare, and is completly overlooked. Swords and Soliders is a 2D side scrolling RTS! I kid you not, and its fantastic.

While I don’t “love” the Wii, I do enjoy it. I just wouldn’t pick up a CoD game for it. But it has a few gems, thats why I own ALL of the systems.