Want to write for Edge? Here’s your chance

Friday, 23rd October 2009 19:49 GMT By Patrick Garratt

edgee

Edge is looking for a new writer, as you can see on its site.

Is this you?

Passionate about games, you will have a good understanding of the Edge brand and an extensive knowledge of the videogame industry and its history. You will use strong writing skills to create engaging, intelligent and informed copy. Ideally you will have an extensive track record of published work, in print and/or online.

Solid organisation and time management skills are essential, as well as the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines. You will be a confident communicator and be keen to contribute story ideas to the magazine and website.

If so, knock yourself out. You’ll get a “competitive salary” if you win. Good luck!

Thanks, mescalineeyes.

1. Razor

Bias against the PS3? Have a professed endearment for Halo? Do you love the number 7? If so, then we’ve got the perfect job for you!

:P

2. theevilaires

Here’s your chance O’Coward for the garbage you type to be seen by two more people.

3. Santa Clause

“Bias against the PS3?”

So biased they gave LittleBigPlanet a 10 out of 10…

4. Mike

*applies*

5. mescalineeyes

If it wasn’t for my paralyzing fear of flying, I’d probably apply.

6. Gekidami

Go by bus then?

7. The Hindle

Hey Pat shall i apply for this even though i dont have any experience as a journalist. What do they look for mainly?

8. Mike

Experience.

9. The Hindle

Dam it lol. Only way you can get experience is if some company gives you a break and no one will give me a break because i dont have experience. Talk about a shit situation

10. mescalineeyes

11. Santa Clause

“The Hindle: be like Michael O’Connor and write your own magazine. on the internet.”

Which not only makes me money, but has also netted me numerous degrees of employment with professional gaming magazines and websites over the years.

You, my dear child, are an idiot.

12. Gekidami

He’s an idiot? Did you not just explain why his sugestion was a good idea?

13. Mike

Someone’s sarcasm detector need a whack up side its head.

14. Santa Clause

What Mike said. It wasn’t meant in a polite way.

15. mescalineeyes

damn Santa, we’re still on for presents, right?

16. OrphanageExplosion

Awesome. What is a competitive salary at Future when they’ve effectively bought out all the competition?!

17. mescalineeyes

well, they didn’t buy out Eurogamer for example.

18. Gheritt White

…or Imagine Publishing. I think GamesTM outsells EDGE Magazine and has done for a while now.

19. mescalineeyes

Probably because they didn’t give Borderlands an insulting 6.

I cancelled my EDGE subscription a long time ago because I simply cannot respect their opinion. I can’t comprehend 95% of their scores and/or opinions. It’s like jaded bunch of assholes that are fantastic journalists.

20. Bulk Slash

I didn’t bother renewing my Edge subscription when it lapsed last year. It’s can’t criticise their reviews for being “wrong” as reviews are always about opinion rather than fact, it’s just I find their opinions wildly off kilter to my own. I enjoyed Halo 3 and Half Life 2, but they weren’t anywhere near 10/10 games in my opinion. They were good, but where was the innovation? I haven’t played Little Big Planet but after all the awards they gave it I suspect all that praise was because it was made by a British developer…

I think the biggest problem is that Edge’s reviews don’t manage to actually provide any real arguments or justification for a score. It’s as if the writers just expect you to accept their opinion because they write for Edge, rather than because they’ve presented a compelling reason for a game to be considered good or bad.

Despite often being labelled “unreliable”, I generally find Eurogamer very consistent and Yahtzee seems to be in sync with my own opinions too.

21. Santa Clause

So far, nearly every single reply has been “The magazine sucks because I don’t agree with some of their review scores.”

Open-mindedness at its finest.

“I think the biggest problem is that Edge’s reviews don’t manage to actually provide any real arguments or justification for a score.”

Yes they do. They say *exactly* why they think the game deserves its score. Very clearly and concisely, in fact.

22. mescalineeyes

Michael, I don’t think EDGE sucks at all, it’s probably the best print magazine out there, but I just found myself so vehemently disagreeing with (not just) their reviews, that I felt I should put my money where my mouth is and cancel my subscription.

In hindsight, they were right on a lot of things though (Resistance 2 for example).

23. Santa Clause

So basically, as I originally stated, you dumped the magazines because you don’t agree with some of their opinions.

I wasn’t aware that it was a magazine’s duty to stroke your ego.

24. mescalineeyes

yes, but why would I pay to read something I disagree with most the time? that’s ridiculous.