September NPD – ODST wins on software front

Monday, 19th October 2009 23:58 GMT By Johnny Cullen

haloodst21

Halo 3: ODST has outright won the software front in the September NPDs, selling over 1.5 million units in the month.

Wii Sports Resort (442k) and Madden NFL 10 for the Xbox 360 (289k) rounded off the top three in the software charts.

Beatles: Rock Band for the 360 beat Guitar Hero 5 for the 360, with 254k in fourth compared to GH5′s 210k in ninth.

The Wii version of Beatles rounds off the top 10 with 208k units sold.

Full list is below.

1. Halo 3:ODST (360, Microsoft) – 1.52 million
  2. Wii Sports Resort (Wii, Nintendo) – 442.9K
  3. Madden NFL 10 (360, EA) – 289.6K
  4. Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story (DS, Nintendo) – 258.1K
  5. The Beatles: Rock Band (360, MTV/EA) – 254K
  6. Madden NFL 10 (PS3, EA) – 246.5K
  7. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 (360, Acti Blizz) – 236K
  8. Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3, Square Enix) – 212.5K
  9. Guitar Hero 5 (360, Acti Blizz) – 210.8K
  10. The Beatles: Rock Band (Wii, MTV/EA) 208.6K

1. mescalineeyes

fuck yeah ODST, suck it, haters and doubters.

next up: Uncharted 2.

2. Uncontested

Halo: ODST suckering 1.5 million people into paying 60 bucks for a 3 hour game thats the same old rehashed halo 3 from years ago.

3. The Benny

Jon, at the risk of sounding like I’m promoting myself, feel free to steal the much better-formatted chart off of my blog (click my username). This one is a bit awkward to read.

I really liked ODST’s campaign, despite it being shorter, but 1.52 million sales probably does point more to the strength of the Halo name than anything else. It’s about half of Halo 3′s first-month sales though.

4. Yoshi

And about 1mill have been traded back in XD
    DAMIT they shud show trade-in numbers

5. Blerk

Interesting to see only PS3 Batman remaining in the top ten – looks like that exclusive Joker stuff did them a lot of good.

6. Uncontested

“And about 1mill have been traded back in XD”

LOL. I bet Gamestop only offers 20 bucks now for it with how many they got traded in.

7. pracer

I hate to defend odst. But ignorence is ignorence. So, if you look at what the second disc in odst offers, it isn’t a bad purchase. It has ALL of the Halo3 online map packs. And it works as a reg Halo3 disc works, allowing you play halo3 online. The first disc has the sp AND Firefight. Firefight is a online/offline 1-4 player co-op “survival” mode. How many waves can you and your team tackle type of thing. Like Horde Mode in Gears.
    I am sure that some ODSTs will be traded in, I see CoD MW used copies all the time, I even saw two used copies of – gasp! – wait for it, Uncharted 2 at Gamestop this weekend. Everything gets traded in. But I don’t think that ODST will flood store shelves. Its a decent buy if you either didn’t have Halo3 and wanted to get upsto speed. Don’t flip for SP instead wanting to get to the online MP. Or are a Halo nut, and if you are your not likly to trade it in anyways.

8. DrDamn

@pracer
    I’m not sure the inclusion of the Halo 3 MP is going to stop many trade ins – as if you got Halo ODST then surely you would also have Halo 3 already? You could argue that you’d get an bigger increase maybe in Halo 3 trade ins – but you’d get more for ODST.

However I personally thought the ODST campaign was very good. Very much a best of Halo tick list in a way, but very high quality for the most part. Only level which let it down was the highway driving section for me. The game was certainly worth the < £30 I paid new for it.

9. pleasant_cabbage

@Dr
    Aye, but if you didn’t buy all the dlc maps for Halo there is a bit of value in there with ODST.

If you install the ODST mp maps then use the Halo 3 disc to boot are you still able to access the ODST maps?
    /probably made no sense

10. pracer

I agree with the assumption that most ODST buyers prolly already own Halo3. But, the attack on ODST was that it had little precieved value. I was taking the position that indeed it does hold value. That being said, I haven’t played it – my wife brought it home for my two teenage sons. They loved it. And because we own two xb360s, they can now use the odst game disc and the halo3 game disc to play mp online w/o having to split the TV. Not a big deal but to listen to them carry on, you would think it was.

11. DrDamn

I play some system link firefight occasionally and being able to have 3 of us in the same room on two machines is great fun.

If the majority of the buyers already have / had the extra value then it’s still not much value to them is it? The extra DLC is a good point, but again if you had Halo 3 and were still wanting to play the online MP then there is a reasonable chance that they might have it already.

It’s beside the point for me though. Halo 3 MP & DLC are a nice to have but may not have value for the majority. The main campaign and Firefight are more than worthy of the price. By using the Halo 3 additions as justification you are almost accepting that they aren’t. They are. Individual levels from the campaign are some of the best action Halo has to offer.