Nintendo will “move along in step” with HD tech, says Miyamoto

Friday, 16th October 2009 04:08 GMT By Nathan Grayson

wii

The Miyamoto floodgates have opened. Unless we explicitly say otherwise, you should probably just assume that any headline we post for the next 24 hours is a Miyamoto quote. (Miyamoto247? We think it has a nice ring to it.) This time, he’s talking HD graphics and Nintendo’s stance on them.

“I don’t think there’s anything wrong with pretty graphics, and if I’m a consumer that has an HDTV, I’d want to be able to play my games with nice graphics too. And I think as we’ve seen the penetration rates for HDTV increase, we’re going to see video games and Nintendo’s games move along in step with the progression of technology,” Miyamoto told IndustryGamers.

“But what I don’t think is necessarily true is that the graphics itself is something that’s going to make the gameplay experience better. So we’re still going to focus on the gameplay, but we’ll take advantage of the technology as it comes out.”

Wii HD confirmed. For 2019.

1. clynchehaun

Interesting to see if the PS3 takes the HD Wii void once its wand comes out…

2. Gekidami

Yes Miyamoto, seeing as you havnt got the pretty gfx you MUST have the gameplay right? …Yet most Wii games fall flat on that to, infact the highest rated Wii games tend to be ones that use as little motion control as possible.

3. Wolf26pack

You know I always kept saying how I wish some of my PS3 games had Motion Control & how some of my Wii games looked as good as the PS3 & 360 games did. Well now it will all come true when the PS3 starts to sell it’s version of the Wiimote.

In fact just recently I had rented Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix for the PS3 & Wii from Gamefly to see which I cared about more, the Graphics or the Motion Controls and while the Motion Controls for that game add a great bit of realism the Graphics were no where as clear as the PS3 version and brought me into the game.Ohh and btw I also have Wii Motion + on my Wiimote and even though this game wasn’t made to support Wii Motion + it seemed to be that much more responsive with it attached or maybe it was my imagination.

In the End though I ended up picking up the PS3 version for a couple of reasons…

- Better Graphics
    - Cheaper & Available
    - Wii Version just didn’t look good on my 46″ LCD Screen

Now I’m glad that I will be able to have the best of both worlds, Awesome Graphics & Great Motion Controls. As long as it isn’t used for everything.

4. Jackrock

When I play DS Extraction I think that, with next-gen graphics, the experience would be more immersive. The game is great and the graphics are really good on Wii, but after playing the original the Wii version seems a bit behind the times.

I also hope the Wii HD comes also with 3D graphics. If not, the next-gen consoles will have another advantage over Nintendo.

5. pracer

Everyone says that graphics don’t matter. I used to say it too. And I still believe it in some cases. For example the graphic difference between say a xb360 and a PS3 game don’t matter. Both games are going to look nice. But go back and play a PSone or a N64 or a Sega Saturn. Then compare those experiences against todays HD systems. In that comparison graphics matter a lot. And that is what going from my xb360/PS3 to my Wii really feel like. Factor in there the sheer size of my TV and the HD nature of it, and the Wii looks twice as bad. I also, btw own “HD” cables for the Wii. It just fails.
    It then becomes not an issue of better good graphics(as between xb360/PS3 games), butinstead becomes an issue of very bad graphics. Visuals so bad that it easily distracts from the experience of playing. Thats the Wii.
    However to be very honest, even if the hd quality out put was the same for the Wii(as for the bigger systems), i am not sure I would enjoy the motion controls. Outside of a handfull of games and Wii Sports, the controls are a hinderance. They just aren’t right. Nintendo knows/admitted to this by feeling the need to release the Wii Plus add on. Btw I am not yet sold on Natal or the PS3 Wand either. These things are novelties at best.
    I don’t think Nintendo gets it, the big pictue I mean. Sure my 55 yr old Mom and half of my family own Wiis. Wonderfull. I own one too. But none of us buys games for it. Once in awhile I will buy a VC or WiiWare game. But I buy far more of said kinds of games from XBLA and PSN Store. And none of the games I buy use motion controls. Maybe I am the one that just doesn’t get it – Nintendo seems to be alive and healthy. They are doing well. They just seem to not apeal to so called “real” gamers. So it makes me wonder who the hell is buying their games?

6. kmtburton

as others have said nintendo has no right to talk about gameplay since most wii games suck and even the good ones arnt innovative they just use the controls better than others but do nothing we havnt seen before (see Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy)