Video – The entire Brutal Legend demo

Thursday, 1st October 2009 18:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

brutallegend9

We’ve posted a full, 23-minute playthrough video of the Brutal Legend demo after the break.

The rockathon’s taster was released openly to Live and PSN today after being walled off to pre-orderers for the past week.

No longer. See what you’ll be buying come October 15 if you have the slightest amount of common sense.

1. Phoenixblight

Great demo. I am tempted to get it just gives the feeling of Army of Dead with a fusion of Heavy Metal. Then Jack Black who is very funny.

“Dont you feel like you were supposed to be born at an earlier time?”

“You mean the 70s?”

“Nah, like the early 70s”

2. Patrick Garratt

Loved it. All of it. Day one.

3. freedoms_stain

Liked the Butter-face line.

And Children Of The Grave makes a badass battle tune.

4. patty mayonaise

I have deliberately avoided reading about this game in the hope that it turned out to be awesome. Same as batman, avoided reading about that like the plauge. good to hear such strong positive comments though Pat.

5. Stephany Nunneley

Wow. Metalriffic. Day one as planned.

6. Johnny Cullen

Need to DL the demo once MAG is finished :D

7. The Hindle

Looks such a cool game, this and Uncharted 2 on same day god im gonna be skint

8. trivi4l

I loved the demo day one purchase however couldn’t fully enjoy it because my girlfriend called me and said I need to see her parents next week. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-

9. Blerk

Played the demo last night and really liked it. Will buy! :-)

10. JonFE

Well, I played the demo too and I feel somewhat disappointed. Don’t get me wrong: the story, the setting, the humour, the music are all there; I just wish some game mechanics will be improved in the final game.

For example, the fighting animation and controls are not as smooth or flowing as I would like. Now, I was not expecting Ninja Gaiden’s levels of complexity or a huge array of different moves and combos. But I can’t help being spoiled by Batman’s excellent fighting, which manages to be both attractive and easy to pull off.

I’ve got the game on pre-order and I’m not going to change that. But as the disclaimer goes, I hope the demo is not representative of the final product.

11. Gekidami

I agree, it’ll be interesting to see how this does in review, it has alot going for it but the gameplay is quite frankly crap -playable but still crap. And as they say; ‘Gameplay > Everything else’ right?

From what i’ve seen the game is about a 7/10 right now.

EDIT: Also, whats up with the terrible sfx sound? Its all low quality.

12. Blerk

It does have a slightly ‘last-gen’ feeling to it at times, and there were a few bits of slow-down in the demo which I hope are ironed out by the final version. But I’ll be quite happy to forgive most of those issues because it’s just that bit different from most of the other stuff out there.

Didn’t notice any issues with the sound though, Geki. Were you playing 360 or PS3?

13. Gekidami

PS3, the voice and music are perfect but the sfx sound ‘tinny’.

14. Blerk

You can alter the volume of the effects, voices and music individually. Did you try that?

15. Gekidami

I meant ‘tinny’ not ‘tiny’. :D

But yeah i had them all on max anyway, it shouldnt really affect the quality. I’ve noticed someone else point it out to on the Official PS3 Forums.

16. reask

That game looks deadly.
    The dialogue is a hoot.
    definitely downloading later.
    Was that you playing it Pat. ;)
    I was going to add that the graphics are excellent but then again what would you expect.
    It was the 360 version. :D

17. NiceFellow

Great dialogue
    Great style
    Great idea
    Average gameplay and choppy animation

Bugger.

I know it’s Heavy Metal, but is the whole thing going to be a button masher with cool cutscenes or is there going to be any Grim Fandango style wit and depth? I’m guessing not.

18. reask

Just gotten the bleep on my download so will know better later.
    you played it nicefellow?
    I just looked at the vid and thought it looked very original.
    I will know soon enough.
    Mind you I was a bit surprised that Pat was not getting slaughtered.
    You should check out his chronicles of riddick one.
    Worth its weight in gold. :D

Sorry Pat. :)

19. NiceFellow

Yeah, reask, played it today. The style, look, jokes, etc. are all great, but I was surprised how uninvolving the gameplay was – just seemed like bashing on button would get you through with no skill.

Of course, I’m sure it get’s harder, but I just didn’t feel there was a lot of room to get really ‘skilled’ at the game, if you know what I mean.

Love the concept though.

20. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Like the story and presentation, very fresh/unique. Gameplay is stale as shit though and seems almost last gen to me. Sorry, that’s what I got out of the demo. Jack Black always cracks my shit up though.

21. reask

Pity about that cos it is funny as hell dialogue wise.
    I will give it a blast later anyway.