NFS: Shift tries to access PS Store from 360 version

Monday, 28th September 2009 12:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

nfsshift

Whoops.

Freakbits has claimed that Need for Speed: Shift is “the most bug-ridden piece of code”, saying that the Xbox 360 version crashes sometimes when trying to access the PlayStation Store.

No, that ain’t a typo.

“The list of serious bugs being reported by customers is embarrassing and it has crashed on me at least a dozen times,” said the site.

“But this could be the most embarrassing fail of all.

“When navigating menus today while connected to Xbox Live the game suddenly crashed again. When my rage had subsided and I got a better look at the screen, I was pretty shocked at what I saw.

“Was my Xbox 360 version of Need for Speed Shift really trying to access the Playstation Store? Microsoft are not going to be happy about this.”

And the world LOL’ed.

Thanks, PSLS.

1. Yoshi

F.A.I.L enough said lol

2. swat

fake

3. JonFE

How could something like *that* get passed the QA tests?

4. Psychotext

I guess they didn’t test it crashing. :D

That aside, if you’ve played the game you’ll probably understand that EA don’t actually have QA.

5. JonFE

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear (or accurate for that matter). I was thinking about Microsoft Certification process :|

6. Gekidami

Well theres a link through there leading to the EA forum, apparently this is far from being the worst bug in the game.
    Looks like no one played this before it hit shelves…

7. Psychotext

The best bugs are the bouncing cars and being able to use your car as a snow plow and just drive under the cars in front of you. :)

8. Blerk

I imagine it’s just a placeholder image rather than it actually trying to access PSN. But all the same…. :-D

9. Bulk Slash

@JonFE

I would guess it got past MS because they don’t dare upset EA. Sega pissed EA off by buying a competing sports developer and in retaliation EA dumped all support for the Dreamcast…

As for accessing the PS store, seems to me from looking at the default text in the image that this is what an uninitialised screen would show or one that crashed before the screen was properly populated. It’s likely doing nothing more than showing a default image. This probably indicates the game lead on PS3 if they used the PS Store logo by default.

10. G1GAHURTZ

HAHA!!

This doesn’t surprise me.

Seriously, I was playing this this morning and I had to reset my 360 twice!

It’s a total joke really.

The game sometimes decides to put you in a never ending replay loop after events… Sometimes just before a race starts, the screen just goes completely black, and you can hear engine sounds, but see nothing… One time I just turned the thing on and it decided that it couldn’t find my save game….

It’s farcical.

I would have given this game a 9.5 if it worked properly, but with all of the bugs and the absolutely stupid implementation of ‘drifting’ it’s becoming more and more a chore to play the further I get.

11. Freek

And where was all this during the reviews?

12. Patrick Garratt

I’ve mailed EA.

13. Psychotext

“And where was all this during the reviews?”

Hookers and coke are a great way of getting reviewers to ignore the small details.

14. Yoshi

This just proves reviewers are biased as fuck, i remember Socom:Confrontation, when it first got released in US it was a complete mess and got bad reviews for it. This on the other hand is a complete mess but gets 8′s

15. Harry

Nonsense. You can’t blame reviewers for not seeing such a rare bug that only now after a few weeks on release someone has managed to find.

16. freedoms_stain

@15, from what I’ve read so far the game is totally bug ridden, GIGAHURTZ and Psychotext have listed their own bug experiences there, it’s not just one rare bug.

17. Freek

I’m not talking about this particular bug, i’m talking about the massive amount of other bugs that lots of people seem to be suffering from on a regular basis.

18. Psychotext

Yeah, this is a rare bug… the others, not so much.

I especially like the flag holding woman appearing in the middle of your car sometimes before a race.

19. ShiroGamer

said it before

will say it again

NFS:SHIT

:D

20. Hakkiz

Haven’t seen any of those bugs but it does crash sometimes on my PC. Typically it happens when it loads menus after a race. Hopefully they will fix the issues soon, because driving is shuuupah fun. :P

21. blackdreamhunk

$60 dallor game that crashies on you

22. Psychotext

PC version is the worst of them all. The framerate is screwed on certain, stupidly powerful, setups.

Not to mention the crashes. =/

23. 360trollolol

hey how about the ps3 version is it good?

IMHO this game is good if without those mentioned bugs…

24. Gekidami

Thats normal for a PC Psycho. :D

/awaits the visit of satin.

25. rrod360lol

@360trollolol Hey get a more original name :)

26. 360trollolol

haha lol!! sorry i didnt c ur name!! but urs is better im jealous..

im literally laughing my fucking ass right now haha!!

27. Cort

The bouncing cars bug is infuriating and has cost me many race wins or podiums. I haven’t had any other problems.

Incidentally, this is no departure from the NFS staple at all (as some reviewers have claimed): the vehicle physics are absolutely fucking ridiculously bad (HOW much oversteer? why is my steering column disconnected if I put a wheel on the grass?) and the AI is either on or off. So just like any other NFS game then. But, remarkably, I’ve enjoyed playing it.

I think it would take about 247 hours of gameplay to get Platinum though. :(

28. Cort

…actually I’m not sure the bouncing is a bug at all. It is worse on the cars with stiffer suspension (e.g. supercars) so is probably designed that way. And being a NFS game, the physics don’t have to be anything like, you know, real life at all.