Wipeout HD officially announced for Blu-ray release on PS3

Monday, 14th September 2009 11:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

wipeouthdfury

SCEE has announced PSN hit Wipeout HD will see a Blu-ray release for PlayStation 3.

The release will include the original game, as well as the recently released Fury expansion, all for £19.99 and released on October 16.

It comes as it was rumoured this morning a Dutch PS3 site had the game listed for retail for €24.99 on the same date.

PR is after the break.

*Announcing WipEout®HD Fury on Blu-ray Disc*

*Get the complete WipEout HD experience for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) on one Blu-ray Disc with all extra downloadable content included *

*London, 14th September: *Insane speeds, breathtaking graphics, online racing and a pumping dance soundtrack – that’s the best-selling PlayStation®Network game WipEout HD for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™). Now, the complete anti-gravity racing experience is being released on a single Blu-ray Disc that will combine not just the original WipEout HD title – a stunning High Definition reworking of the greatest tracks from the iconic franchise – but also the Fury expansion pack. The resulting package will give racers 14 reversible racetracks to race solo, against friends or against eight players online, 12 teams to choose from, a huge arsenal of combat weapons to take opponents down with, two whole campaigns to complete and a soundtrack packed with some of the biggest names in dance music.

There’s no bigger racing experience than WipEout HD Fury on Blu-ray Disc – look out for it in stores later this year.

Release date: October 16th
Price: £19.99

1. TastyAcidMilkk

heh heh heh wooot

2. Robo_1

Makes sense after the update. It’s also further evidence that a download only future is still a loooong way off.

3. No_PUDding

It’s not evidence at all.

It not the case for SCEA, and therefore it’s evidence that Europe as a region is not as online-compatible as America, as a region.

4. Komond_Deckard

#3. We are online-compatible, what we are not is digital-copy friendly, I mean, paying for something you own in a relative way, you can’t sell used and you can lent you a friend for a while. But online… online has nothing to do with that.

5. Robo_1

Surely that only goes to enforce my point No_PUDding. If a region as big as Europe still needs the more prominent online titles to be served up by retail, then I can’t see any future home consoles pulling disc support any time soon.

6. No_PUDding

Komond that is not true at all – people are more than prepared to download things, if something can prove this, isn’t it the iPhone?

And I guess it does support your point Robo. But as a sweeping statement it did not work so well. And to argue semantics a ‘looooong way off’, it is not. It is already in practich, with iPhone. Just becuase select few (of the European market) European countries don’t have great broadband penetration, does not mean that it is a long way off, and neither does it mean it’s not completely possible right now.

There are plenty of shifts in ways we are viewing/experiencing media that prove this.

7. theevilaires

hmmm this could be a tricky strategy for digital distribution by Sony. Here’s the scenario, they release a super high profile game on psn for a period of time securing raw sells they know the used market can’t affect. Then a year later they release a disc version also knowing that the people who bought the download version (most of them hardcore disc collectors) will re-buy the same game.

This could piss some people off because I would rather have the disc version myself like many others, but the ease of just scrolling down the game icon and loading up wipeout on your HDD without having to switch disc back and forth is pretty convenient.

If sales are good on both sides (DL/Disc) then I can see Sony maybe making a disc version for their psn arcade games too. Sorta like a PSN collection hits on blu-ray. Pixel junk monster,SSDHD,Savage Moon,Calling all cars,and one biggie like Fat Princess all on one blu-ray for $60. I could be pipe dreaming, but hey its nice to dream sometimes. :D

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

#7 good point. As a matter of fact, this kind of pisses me off as I prefer hard copy discs for long term collection purposes. I have to ask, what’s the point of having Playstation Network only titles, when they’re just going to release it on disc down the line? I don’t know….it’s too early…..this just bothered me for some reason and I had to comment……….coffee……..

9. theevilaires

I don’t drink coffee, I drink TEA ;) add me on psn or live if you want to discuss the topic any further.

10. DrDamn

@TEA
    “the people who bought the download version (most of them hardcore disc collectors) will re-buy the same game”

That is a huge assumption propping up your main point there. You are seriously suggesting most people who already own WipeoutHD will be re-buying it on disc because they are hardcore disc collectors?

11. theevilaires

Dr.Damn my assumptions are backed up by real people who are hardcore collectors as myself. During my weekly parade of chasing girls and trying to sleep with them I visit several local key gaming stores that host the most hardcore of hardcore gamers and NO! I’m not talking about gamestop stores either.

The topic of if major only down loadable games that get a disc release/ potential purchase again has a 100% yes I would re-buy that title outcome from hardcore gaming collectors.

So its not assumption. I said nothing about casual gamers. Now they might fall into your assumption idea, but hardcore collectors….no….the numbers don’t lie.

12. DrDamn

@TEA
    I don’t contest that hardcore collectors will want to buy the game to have it in a box, what I am contesting is that the current owners of WipeoutHD are made up mostly of those hardcore collectors. That’s clearly made up. The number of people who own it already and will re-buy on disc is a small minority, not a majority.

13. theevilaires

You have a strong argument Dr.Damn. We just have to wait and see how this tactic of Sony’s is received by gamers of all types. Should be very interesting because it will help us see into the future of digital distribution more clearly.

14. DrDamn

I think bottom line is that it broadens the scope of people they can sell the game to. That is a good thing for people who already have it as it increases the probability of further DLC or a sequel. I take your point that it was released as a PSN title only and they are going back on that, but if they had released it and said at a much later date we will also release on disc then the hardcore collectors would still have bought both.

I don’t agree with previous comments about this being evidence that a download only future is a long way off. The fact that prominent titles like WO are released this way is stronger evidence that it is closer than you think. In comparison to titles like BO Paradise where a download version appeared after retail and GT5p where there was simultaneous release, WOHD is still well ahead in being a progressive console release.

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Ya know, after thinking about it, i guess it’s kind of like the PSPgo and UMD comparison being they’re making it available for either preference. You want digital download? It’s available that way. You want store bought hard copy? It’s available that way. I’m totally cool with that.

I suppose the reason I felt slightly pissed earlier is cause I would have bought the hard copy disc had they released at the same time. Releasing hard copy later does kind of feel like undermining those who want to play game from day 1, but also PREFER hard copy.

Anyway…that’s as much as my brain can process on this monday morning…..blah blah blah….and no I WON’T be re-buying the hard copy version (although I’d prefer it)…lol.

16. JonFE

I don’t think that anyone would actually purchase the game twice. If anything, those who would prefer getting the game on disk (given the choice) but went with the downloaded version since it was the only one available until now, would be pissed that the option wasn’t there in the first place.

On the other hand, I’m pretty sure that some casual PS3 users (like x360 and Wii ones) still haven’t connected their consoles online (for various reasons) and this release is targeted at them.

17. Retroid

I bought the PSN version (and Fury) and won’t be bothering at all with the disk release.

However, I bought the disk version of Siren as that, pre-owned, was a hell of a lot cheaper :)

18. theevilaires

Well for the record I will purchase it again just as I have with BO Paradise and Socom. It just has to make an US release.

@ Dr.G, if Sony is going to release a umd and download the same day don’t you feel the download should cost at least $10 less considering there’s no packaging or shipping cost involved with the PSN version.

Even at a $10 difference the UMD would still be my choice.