Infinity Ward will not be “taking pages out” of World at War’s book

Thursday, 27th August 2009 18:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

modernwarfare21

Infinity Ward’s Robert Bowling has told GamerZines that Modern Warfare 2 will “not take a page out of World at War’s book”.

The subject was posed when the online magazine asked if Infinity Ward would be returning the favor to Treyarch after the firm admitted its multiplayer was influenced by the original Modern Warfare.

“We’re not taking any pages out of World at War’s book,” he told the site. “We’re crafting a special and unique experience for Modern Warfare 2 players that I don’t want to spoil too much.

“Definitive numbers like max level cap, complete weapon lists, and number of new perks is something I don’t want to ruin and save for when the player ranks up and sees they’re constantly receiving new rewards for it, whether that’s a new weapon, perk, killstreak unlock, or item for their callsign.”

Game’s out November 10. More through the linky-poo.

1. M337ING

What pages are left to take?

Nazi Zombies is really the only unique thing that Treyarch added, even though it’s huge. Wouldn’t really fit in MW2…

2. Yoshi

It was rather fun tho
    Middle Eastern Zombies anyone?

3. Johnny Cullen

Didn’t Bowling blow his top off at Treyarch last year?

4. Michael O'Connor

Infinity Ward creates. Treyarch copies.

5. Audio Radar

Don’t miss this:

6. Madeira

@Michael O’Connor: Creates what? A SP campaign with infinitely respawning enemies, making the entire SP a checkpoint rush? MP that gives you xp to buy perks which makes the MP unbalanced? Martyrdom, the most frustrating thing ever in a game? A typical military shooter with good controls that runs @ 60fps? Treyarch made plenty of games before Call of Duty 3. Besides, they are hired to copy IW’s CoD games, no need to bash them for it.

7. absolutezero

For fuck sake theres no real fucking difference you walk forward and shoot guys. CoD4 is exactly the fucking same. I walked forward I shot guys. Only I got to ride about in a tank. Which was not in CoD4. Which lest we forget is the gaming Jesus.

8. Gekidami

*Opens the book of World at War* “Chapter one: Supporting your game after release”

IW really not interested in those pages? Ok then…

9. Captain Fruitloop

“you walk forward and shoot guys.”

I walk forward and get shot. A lot.

Obviously, I’m not doing this right.

10. No_PUDding

So, when Treyarch are given a huge IP, that is synonymous with certain traits, you expect them to do what? Shit on what went before? Ignore the IPs parenting company?

Treyarch are a great developer (Spiderman 2 comes to mind). Blame fat-ass Bobby for the leash they have. No one else.

11. Michael O'Connor

“Has anyone else noticed Michael O’Connors propensity to be a bit of a prat occasionally?”

I do think they’re a decent company. I was referring solely to their work on Call of Duty: World at War.

World at War was little more than CoD4 in a new location; and Treyarch brought *nothing* unique to the table with that game; it was a by the numbers copy of CoD4. Treyarch are decent, but this genre is one they are not proficient at.

12. No_PUDding

“Your definition of prat in this case seems to be limited to me not agreeing with your own established viewpoint.”

Precisely. Hence, forthwith, therefore and such as, you are a prat; occasionally. ‘Occasionally’ referring to the unestablished probability of us agreeing on a point.

13. Cort

@O’Connor,

14. reask

Wow was good, really good IMO.
    Maybe I just like the WW2 setting.

15. Neolucifer

@No PUDding

Let’s speak frankly about Treyarch here . it goes beyond “well it was their job to copy IW” .
    Just look at their track results and shockingly abysmal skills so far .

Their best games so far seems to be Spiderman 2 and WaW , and nothing else come close , and get stuck at mediocre or average level ever since Die by the Sword .

And even if they were really limited with game choices , they definitely do not a great job at the chores they were given … just look at cod4 on wii with near ps2 quality as usual .

They are such great developer that from the moment they announced Spiderman Web of shadows , you could see people moan and goes like “whatever , again another so so , repetitive and buggy spiderman gta game ” , despites their numerous promises the game would rock .
    And guess what ? it hardly went against the general expectations that it would be an average game .

So once again quick summary :
    -They dont ace their jobs on existing IPs .
    -They dont propose any new IP
    -If they were unhappy (wich they aint) , they could flee elsewhere and start something refreshing be it on existing or new ip … but again they dont .

I’m all for rooting for the underdog , and i actually can’t stand infinity ward right now , but this is crazy . IW is currently being quite lazy and refurbishing the same game and this time with a higher tag price , but it just so happens that Treyarch is so inferior .
    How are they a great developper again ?

16. DrDamn

@Madeira
    Martyrdom is easy enough to avoid. Hell I like playing against people with Martyrdom. Means they’ve picked a perk that can only ever help them when they die over plenty that help you all the time and keep you alive.

The MP levelling and perk system in CoD4 is supremely well balanced.

17. No_PUDding

Yeah, I like WW2 too, personally. But not that particular theatre of war.

18. No_PUDding

Neolucifer, I don’t know if it’s fair to condense Spiderman 2, into one dismissive sentence.

However, it’s a very good point, most of it has been a redux of a great game, after that point. But there’s a trend in the industry, a great IP is established, it’s iterated on.

You seem to be consistent, in your dislike for that trend, when you speak about Infinity Ward. So I can’t fault you there. Then it becomes a matter of opinion, or financial viability.

19. Galactic_Barret

I’m not really a fan of COD4, but I love WaW, simply because of the inclusion of Nazi Zombie. Its the only game mode I enjoy, to be honest.

I would be more inclined to buy MW2 if it had a similar game mode, but I’m only one person. Everyone eelse will be buying it. Guess I’ll just have to stick with WaW.

20. SunKing

Treyarch may not have the best of reputations, but World at War was a good game and they did a good job with it. I don’t like Nazi Zombie mode, but other people evidentally do, and that’s Treyarch’s achievement, not Infinity Ward’s. Likewise, they managed to fit co-op into their game. Did IW do that with Call of Duty 4? No. And now they’re planning their own, specific co-op campaign for MW2.

World at War isn’t as good as Call of Duty 4 and Treyarch isn’t the developer that Infinity Ward is – this is all true. However, it can’t exactly be easy on them being in IW’s shadow all of the time, having to make a sequel to one of the best-selling, critically acclaimed FPSs of this generation. Personally, I feel inclinced to cut them a bit of slack.

21. Neolucifer

@Sunking

I wouldnt fault IW for not having Co-op to begin with , as it wasnt at all the norm it currently is with all fps and they had some intense and not really squad based sp campaign . It would have been however pretty ridiculous if trey’s Cod didnt feature it , as it was one of the only few missing feature , and now actually the norm , so yeah i’ll be even harsh and not praise them for doing a standard job of implementing co-op .

Also while Cod4 didnt have zombie mode , IW did somewhat start the trend with their arcade mode extra , albeit less developped and fun than zombie .

And sorry to be that vocal against treyarch , but i do feel that on the contrary they do have it easy , riding on IW’s coat . It becomes even laziness , knowing that IW itself keeps rehashing it’s own stuff …

So now here with go with cod stuck is a silly endless loop with copies of copies of copies , between the two studios .
    There is a reason most people only remember zombies as the most important feat from the dlc and the game , what else is there ? besides the vehicules ?

PS : i’m not buying MW2 anyway and BTW . There are far too many more interesting game out there imo … and i’m tired of recycling , and not supporting Activision’s price shenanigans and their behavior of late .

MW2′s spot will most likely go to dragon age and/or Alpha protocol

22. SunKing

You do make some good points, Neolucifer, and perhaps Treyarch didn’t do anything that special apart from producing an entertaining FPS in a WW2 setting. For me, that’s enough for them to be granted some praise – because they made a game that was fun, played well and looked fantastic.

It’s interesting the final point you raise regarding what’s memorable about the game, ignoring Nazi Zombies. If there’s one thing I’ll take away it’s probably my experience of the Russian campaign. There’s some interesting stuff going on there, where you’re placed, quite uneasily, into the role of a soldier in an army gone insane, corrupted by a need for vengeance. In the dialogue there’s some really effective, subtle foreshadowing of the atrocities this army is going to commit towards the end of the war, and I found that quite chilling to listen to.

23. Michael O'Connor

“Says the troll who rants at anyone and everyone who says something with which he disagrees then bleets like a bitch whenever it’s thrown back at him.”

That’s impressive, considering that 1) I go weeks without posting sometimes, 2) I don’t reply to have the stories on the sites, and 3) you ignore the many threads where I say many positive things about many games (Heavy Rain thread, for example).

I don’t “rant at anyone and everyone” who disagrees with me. I just point out some people’s inaccurate information and the logical fallacies in some fanboys opinions.

24. Galactic_Barret

To be fair, you did call everyone out when they said Gabe Newell took horrible pictures and whatnot. And they were terrible pictures, to be sure.