Sony losing money on each PS3 Slim

Tuesday, 25th August 2009 07:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3-slim-hk

Sony’s will make a loss on each PS3 Slim unit it makes, PlayStation mega-boss Kaz Hirai’s told Times Online.

“If you’re just talking about the hardware alone, the quick answer is yes,” he said.

“That makes good headlines, but I don’t actually know that that’s the true nature of the business that we’re all in, whether it’s PlayStation, Xbox or the Wii.

“I think the better indicator is to look at the business as a whole platform, to ask: are you profitable in terms of the hardware, software and peripherals. And the answer to that question is yes on a gross profit level since the last fiscal year.”

Bonanza. Slim costs £250. Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Spiral

They lose money on it? Sold!

2. Captain Fruitloop

I’m buying two, now.

3. G1GAHURTZ

I haven’t seen any bundles yet?

Anyone seen any? All I’ve seen is the standalone console, so if that’s the case and I want a game (not socom) and a headset, I’m looking at over £300…

4. Gekidami

You must be blind if you’ve never seen a bunble, not only are they pretty much the only things going but many have been announced and reported by this very site.

5. rrod360lol

@GIGA ps3 slim for 230 quid at Shopto…

6. DrDamn

@G1GA
    Oh and be sure to get the Sony headset – streets ahead of the competition in quality and features.

7. Tonka

Yes! They still love us real gamers! That’s how you run a successful business!

/signs petition

8. G1GAHURTZ

@ Geki:
    What? I only check GAME and Play.com, and neither of those have any bundles. Only the Slim on it’s own, with no games.

Got any links??

@ rrod:
    Good find! Thanks man!

@ DD:
    Yeah probably will do… I usually try to stick to official stuff when it comes to peripherals anyway.

9. rrod360lol

@Giga (again) The cheapest I’ve ever found the headset (rrp 25) is 18 quid at play

As Dr Damn said it’s miles ahead of the competition (including the official warhawk one)

10. G1GAHURTZ

Cool. Thanks again fella!

11. Cort

Well at least the PlayStation brand as a whole is now profitable. This can only be good for PS gamers.