Hollenshead: Microsoft in “best position” to launch next-gen hardware

Monday, 24th August 2009 11:51 GMT By Johnny Cullen

xbox720

id Software CEO Todd Hollenshead has told VG247 that Microsoft is in the “best position” to be the first platform holder out the gate with next-gen hardware.

“Somebody’s going to do it, and – to me – probably the player who’s in the best position to do so is Microsoft, because I do think they’ve recouped a lot of the costs of their console,” said the exec, speaking at QuakeCon earlier this month.

“Maybe they’ll push the [Xbox 360] to year six – maybe seven – but I’ve got to believe that they’re already planning the transition now, and they have their eye on the ball as to what it is, because I think they see that there are some weaknesses that they can exploit with what’s going on at Sony.”

Don’t crap your pants just yet, sports fans. We’ve got a long way to go with the current machines, Todd added.

“I think that how the industry handles this next console transition is crucial. Because the PS3 install base is still a problem for Sony and for PS3 developers; the 360 and PS3 are still at price points that are well above what you’d consider to be mainstream or mass market. We still have very large titles that sell a lot of units across the different platforms. So, as we see that unfold, I think that is going to be the key thing to watch,” he said.

To say we had a massive interview with Todd Hollenshead is an understatement. How big is it? Check for yourself. Loads of shit on Rage, DOOM 4 and that canceled id project, Darkness.

1. Psychotext

“because I do think they’ve recouped a lot of the costs of their console”

…and Nintendo have paid for the Wii 20 times over. What difference does that make? :P

2. DrDamn

How much the poor build quality of early 360s will affect the launch of a new console will be crucial too. I think for this round it was a calculated risk and paid off for them to get to market well before the PS3 – not so sure about next time. Maybe a lot of people will wait and see how any new machine holds up.

3. Dannybuoy

Look out for the 720′s blue hexagon of death!

4. Tonka

I agree with him,
    Nintendo have no need to launch a new console
    Sony can’t afford it
    Which leaves MS. Not that they need it badly. But they could weaken Sonys posiion even further.

What will happen though is that they make a Natal SKU which is smaller and cuter and comes preloaded with Paintchucker, Spazzball and a Twitter reader.

At the same time they’ll up the HDD space on the oldschool 360 and bundle it with “The HALO SAGA!” and drop the arcade SKU altogether.

5. Herlock

Who gone buy it anyway…crise and angry people about the ROD, everybody can wait, no need new console now.

6. SticKboy

I foresee console case revisions in 2010/11… but *no* internal hardware revisions reaching the market until 2014.

7. Robo_1

“Sony can’t afford it”

They pretty much just have with the slim. Cell is designed to be modular in nature, so bumping up the clock speed and doubling the amount of SPU’s in conjunction with a more meatier GPU (if they bother with a GPU at all next time out) is something they could assemble at a fraction of the time and cost of developing a new architecture, and it would still pack quite a punch.

8. Tonka

Sony doing a Wii in other words?
    But could they afford dropping to a 0 install base again?
    (notmuchofadifferencethoughlol)

9. blackdreamhunk

I really don’t think any consoles will come soon. Any company that does will only lose their money. I will be laughing at them too when they lose billions. Must investors are not going to jump into another billion dallor loss. I don’t even think anyone is in the able to do it at this point.

Also microsoft have their hands in other projects right. Consumers are more woryed about keeping their jobs. I am sure must consumers have already budget out their gaming systems already.

10. theevilaires

LMAO :P

11. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe Microsoft will give away a free console with every version of Windows 8.

12. JesteR

Ah id…. a once great studio that only produced shit after Quake 3 and they still think they are imported. Just shut up and make better games id.

13. blackdreamhunk

here is a good link here

the real hardcore gamers who do have the money to spend on games are found on pc. With all the drm and the way game dev’s treat their fanbase is going to die. Only big name companies who have huge following will surive if this recssion keeps on going.

the companies that don’t will go bankuprt.

basicly the game devs them self are killing the high end hardcore gaming as microsoft and sony keep their conquest of trying to destory the pc platform. More gamers are getting turn off and more gamers are boycotting companies. Then there is also the fact their favrite genres and tittles are replaced by console action games or fps will just leave losing more consumers.

Everything is going to cloud soon.

14. Psychotext

OMG IT’S BD…

No, can’t be bothered.

15. blackdreamhunk

@Psychotext

that is cause you know I maybe right on the money. lol :)

16. Johnny Cullen

Lemmie think…

*thinks*

Naaaaa.

17. G1GAHURTZ

O RLY?

I don’t think so, because if they were hardcore gamers, they’d have ALL platforms, not just restrict themselves to one.

18. blackdreamhunk

yep, hardcore gamers with money. Did you not know the hardcore market is dying or shrinking.

19. Psychotext

It’s funny… I recently upgraded my PC (again) and I’m still playing 95% of my games on the PS3 / 360.

Probably my own fault for not being so into RTS any more.

20. blackdreamhunk

rts is still a very poular genre and powerful one at that. I am talking about other genres for exmaple like flight sims.

21. Psychotext

Yes, flight sims are massively popular.

22. G1GAHURTZ

bdh, I think you’ll find that almost everyone here has a PC that can play games of some description.

Yet many of us choose to keep most of our gaming on console.

Some of us have all 3 console’s, plus games, which adds up to way more than the cost of a high end PC.

Why do you think that is?

23. blackdreamhunk

it will not be long before such geners are dead. You use to be able to go a store and find tons of flight sticks now you only see 1 or 2. More and more gamers are getting turn off by the gaming industry. flight sims was popular now it’s starting to die.

@G1GAHURTZ must gamers don’t play on the console they play on the pc’s alot of gamers are now turning to Casual games these days. free to play they finding they don’t need to pay for big bugget games.

The more the recssion carries on the more this holds true. The more game devs mess with the fanbase the more this holds true.The more price of games goes up the more that holds ture. For honest paying consomers that is the way to go these days.

No drm in those free games :)

24. G1GAHURTZ

must gamers don’t play on the console they play on the pc’s

I’m not talking about “most gamers” I’m talking about most people here. On this website.

25. blackdreamhunk

oh on here, well just know that if this site is made up of all hardcore console game consumers. You are only a small minority.hardcore gaming both on the pc and on consoles are on a decline.This have been happening ever since the new gen consoles came out.

26. G1GAHURTZ

Please answer the question.

It hasn’t changed.

“Why do we spend loads of money on console, rather than PC, seeing as we’d probably class ourselves as hardcore gamers?”

I just want to know why PC gaming is so cool, and what we’re all missing, since we’ve already established that it’s nothing to do with cost.

27. blackdreamhunk

sorry it’s fact that console gamers don’t spend as much as a hard core pc gamer. That is why so meny console gamers like the $300 to $100 dallor price point.

real hardcore gamers will spend over a $1000 on hardware alone. Console gamers will not pay that much the sony Ps3 is just another example of this.

the more game devs piss off pc gamers or there is less genres and games. The less the game industry will have from that pool of money.Chances are your not going to force a real high spending hardcore pc gamer into buying consoles because it’s not the same experience.

Also the hardware companies will suffer as well because their is less speading.

In the long run hardware companies will suffer. Why is that because cloud gaming is coming and less moeny.

When cloud computers come there sill be less freedom for people too as well.

28. Johnny Cullen

What G1GA said.

Most PC games do eventually release for the consoles, either as a sim-ship or 6 months down the line. The only game I want that is a PC only title right now is Starcraft II, maybe Diablo III.

And even then, D3 could still be going to consoles, which probably proves G1GA’s point on why PC gaming is cool (or not probably)

29. G1GAHURTZ

Please answer the question, bdh.

30. blackdreamhunk

that is no is no real question, and there is no point in me talking more.

31. G1GAHURTZ

What’s wrong with the question?

32. blackdreamhunk

sorry your average kid is not going to have huge amounts of cash. Your average kid is not hardcore and chanes are will be a Casual gamer.

by the way the less money hardware companies have the more money the next consoles are going to cost. Also means the more money the games are going to cost too.

the more chances this is and will be the last generation of consoles.

33. G1GAHURTZ

So ‘casual’ consoles like the Wii are a much better option for the average kid than a $1000 PC then?

34. blackdreamhunk

well if I want my kid to be smart I would get a pc. Pc’s make great learning tools. If i want my kid to have a toy I would get him or her a wii.As a kid you hae access to alot more games too as well with the pc.

Must average mon’s and dads will look at the cost first than games. chances are must kids would not care at all.

So the wii would be the choice product.

35. G1GAHURTZ

So the wii would be the choice product.

Sooooo…..

Why wouldn’t anyone want to get their kids a Wii 2 in the future then?

36. blackdreamhunk

wii 2 is going to cost alot more than the first wii. How much did it cost to make a wii in the first place, is it not billions or millions. Do you want to risk that in a ression.

the wii will always be cheaper too. Your going to have to ask your self aare people going to buy your wii in a ression too. what about things like onlive? free games that is booming. As more and more find about free games on the pc. the more than market is booming.

Right now nintendo is must likely trying to get as much money as they can. Nintendo is must ikely company to make another console too, I will give that.

chances are if your a hardcore gamer your not going to be happy with what nintendo may offer. the pc gaming will out strip nintendos new hardware too for hardcore gamers.

37. G1GAHURTZ

No matter how much a Wii 2 is going to cost, $149, $240, $299, or whatever, it’s still going to be less than a $1000 PC.

Therefore, now that we’ve established that parents would rather buy their kids a Wii than a PC to play casual games on, I think it’s fair to assume that there’s still a whole lot of life in the console industry yet.

Also consider that as long as the Wii is around, it’s always going to generate competition by showing how many millions that it can make week after week without even breaking a sweat.

I’m sure that there are at least 2 more console generations left before things like cloud gaming become viable and takes over completely, so the big 3 don’t have anything to worry about…

38. blackdreamhunk

the hardcore gamer would over look the wii for a pc.If your a graphics whore or gameplay whore. lol That is unless you love consoles. This also means your going have to sell your games alot cheaper too, as well.

39. SticKboy

@BDH: You may well have a point about Nintendo being the only other first party to invest in another complete hardware revamp, but you can bet your as it’ll retail for no more than the Wii costs now. £170 – £180 is a real sweet soft that Nintendo won’t want to pass up on.

40. fearmonkey

I disagree with you BDH. I know many very hardcore gamers that play console only. I have more than a few friends that live their lives on COD4-5 and Halo3. I would say that they are more hardcore than anyone I know.

Also, I consider myself a hardcore gamer, and I mostly play console games these days. I have a very nice video card and system, but prefer sitting on the couch with the larger screen.

41. ww3pl

Oh, fearmonkey, don’t you know?
    Hardcore gamers play while sitting on hand-made wooden bench, eating still alive fishes and dressed up in some leaves.
    Oh, come on, blackdreamhunk.
    I’m a hardcore gamer for many years now, and i own low-end PC and X360 (i’m buying a PS3 this week).
    I think PC gaming is not that bad, BUT. If you truly consider yourself as a hardcore gamer, you have to get more platforms to play on than just a PC.
    I’ve been playing on the PC since i was, i don’t know – 8? And i truly, love them.
    But today, the hardcore market was totally transferred into consoles.
    You can scream on me if i’ve made any mistakes, typos etc.

42. blackdreamhunk

no offense but consoles are a joke for gaming. how genres on a console 4 at the must. Like said before pc gamers spend alot more on games than consoles.

43. Psychotext

You can stop now. You’ve won the battle to be the most blinkered, ignorant fanboy on the site.

44. theevilaires

thought that was me….or you :P

45. Scyrenn

pff real gamers only play in arcades… :p

anyway that youtube link is hilarious, thanks! ^^