Ubisoft delays Splinter Cell: Conviction and Red Steel 2 until 2010

Monday, 27th July 2009 17:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

splintercellconviction62

Ubisoft’s announced it’s delaying Splinter Cell: Conviction and Red Steel 2 until Q4 2009, which normally tends to mean January – March 2010. The news comes from Ubi’s Q1 2009 financial report.

Q1 is suddenly the new Q4.

As well as them two, Ghost Recon 4 and I Am Alive have been delayed until fiscal 2010 – 2011, which means both games wont be released until April 2010 at the very latest.

“We are disappointed that we have to postpone the release of several major games but we consider that this choice is the best one in the long-term interests of Ubisoft,” said the company in a statement.

“Lastly, we are having to adjust our full-year targets to take into account the fall in business over the first half. The excellent response to our games at E3, as well as the high buzz generated for titles such as Assassin’s Creed 2, Splinter Cell Conviction and Avatar, reinforce our belief that the company can achieve strong growth in the second half of the fiscal year.”

More at Kotaku.

1. SticKboy

*SHOCK*

2. TastyAcidMilkk

alli can say is next year will fuckin own, well dissapointed bout alot of games delayed this year but less money to spend haha

3. theevilaires

not shocked at all. “It was a business decision” :P

4. Johnny Cullen

Great.

Now I have fuck all to look forward to.

*except ODST, Assassins Creed 2 and UC2*

**not to mention MW2**

5. theevilaires

there’s AC2 Johnny C. if you’re interested :-)

6. Mike

Jesus Fucking Christ.

7. theevilaires

nice reaction Mike :-)

8. SticKboy

Nobody wants to go up against CoD:MW2, innit.

It’s gotta be that.

9. deftangel

So now all these games slipping will cause a post holiday Q1 2010 “blood bath” following the usual end of year one everybody complains about. Way to go industry!

10. Psychotext

“Nobody wants to go up against CoD:MW2, innit.

It’s gotta be that.”

Either that or everyone suddenly sucks at project management.

11. theevilaires

maybe you’re right some devs could be scared of their games just sitting on store shelves this holiday season while MW2 gets scanned 10 million times by that hot chick at Bestbuy I saw the other day :P

I know one thing is for sure people won’t be buying games buy the boat load this year.

12. Psychotext

Given the lack of titles overall I reckon some games have a pretty good chance of selling by the boat load…

…the ones that are left. :)

13. Robo_1

Bloody hell… that’s quite a blow, particularly for 360′s Christmas lineup.

To be fair though, nobody is having a particularly amazing Q4 exclusives wise. Q1 2010 is going to be jam packed, which could work out a lot worse for publishers than a jam packed Q4.

It really does sound like a business decision too, but I’m surprised Red Steel 2 will be significantly effected by a Q4 release, the Wii doesn’t exactly have an embarrassment of riches this year.

14. Psychotext

What is left in 2009 anyway?

Big hitters I can think of…
    AC2,
    COD:MW2,
    L4D2,
    ODST,
    Uncharted 2.

Anything else fairly big? Obviously there’s titles like Forza 3 and Ratched & Clank, but I can’t see them being major hits.

15. theevilaires

yea that’s true there’s not much anymore you have MW2,Halo,UC2,GT5(hopefully)R&C,and BFBC2. I retract my statement slightly but I still doubt the average 12-16 yr gamer grandparent’s are going to go in bestbuy and buy all those games at once.

16. Johnny Cullen

BFBC2 aint out till early 2010.

17. Robo_1

When’s Tekken 6 for?

18. Phoenixblight

What about Arkham Asylum? No excitement for that?

19. Johnny Cullen

Robo – Tekken 6 is due on Halloween week for the US. As far as the UK or EU goes, I dont know.

But a fair bet would be a couple of days after the US release.

20. theevilaires

oh really, thanks johhny C. I didn’t catch that bit of info.
    That leaves me plenty of time to get that stupid 10002 kills trophy :P

Oh yea tekken and Batman, shit there is still some good stuff. Tekken really should have not taken this long dammit, still kinda pissed about that one.

21. Psychotext

I forgot the retail release of the GTAIV episodes… that should be fairly big.

I don’t see Tekken doing significant numbers. Batman might, depends on the marketing.

22. Johnny Cullen

PT – Shit! How could I forget Gay Tony!

*Doh!*

23. Psychotext

No-one forgets Gay Tony…

8O

24. Hunam

Come the fuck on, more Q1 2010 delays!?

Christ. Jan/Feb is going to be bloody expensive.

25. Psychotext

“Christ. Jan/Feb is going to be bloody expensive.”

Only if you’re silly enough to buy them on release. With so many games being released at the same time you’ll be able to pick them all up for half price or less just weeks later. :)

26. Robo_1

Oh yeah – Batman. Well crisis averted then. :)

27. Phoenixblight

I just have 3: Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, FFXIII 180$ bones but its not going to all be released the same month…

28. theevilaires

Yea but I like to reward good devs with day 1 purchases. Devs like Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, Insomniac and Rockstar will all have my money on day 1 if they released their games in the same month. Its my way of showing respect and saying thanks for being good leaders in the world of gaming.

29. Hunam

I can’t say no to games for too long, it’s a weakness, what the fuck are my parents going to get me for christmas though? If they don’t buy me video games I’d just get nothing from them! Looks like they win this round.

30. Johnny Cullen

Q1 2010, I am fucked.

Mass Effect 2, Final Fantasy XIII (JP) and Bayonetta. Yeah, fucked.

31. Phoenixblight

Gift cards lots of them?

32. Hunam

I would probably have bought Red Steel 2 if it had come out this year, but going against Mass Effect 2 is just crazy when you are vying for my money.

Looks like its CoD, Halo, Batman and Wolfenstein. Is Borderlands still coming out this year?

33. theevilaires

You’re really going to import FFXIII? do you speak japanese Johnny C.?

34. SticKboy

Glad somebody remembered Borderlands, I’m well hyped for it!

That, along with Assassinls Creed 2, Batman:AA, Tekken 6 and Halo: ODST means I’m still gonna have a very busy Xmas, even with the delays and with MW2 not being my bag.

35. Hunam

AC still this year? I guess Ubi are going to put all their marketing behind that for xmas this year, that was their star game in 2007 after all, however I did well despite marketing last year :P

Borderlands was off my radar for a long while, but the latest trailer seemed to show a different side to the game, I mean I didn’t know they were going for the co-op RPG fans. Is it a big open world or what? Wonder if it’s like diablo with guns or something.

36. SticKboy

Oh yeah – and who could forget Alien Breed? Game of the Year, mutherfuckaz!

37. Hunam

Meh. I get bored of XBLA titles pretty quick.

38. Psychotext

“Yea but I like to reward good devs with day 1 purchases. Devs like Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital, Insomniac and Rockstar will all have my money on day 1 if they released their games in the same month.”

They should get the same amount of money no matter what… so it really makes no difference. Unless you’re buying used or when it hits platinum, but that’s another story.

39. theevilaires

I never buy used and GOD no I wouldn’t be caught dead buying those Fugly Red greatest hit boxes. OMG i would kill myself.

Those are top pure breed devs I named in post 28. Its pretty much safe to say I would buy a game without any knowledge of it just because their name is on the box.

Guess that’s why these copies of State of emergency,tourist trophy,and Resistance 2 keep calling me SUCKER!!!! :P

40. Psychotext

Ha, I had State of Emergency. It had a certain charm for about 10 minutes. :)

41. theevilaires

yup it was the coolest game i had ever played for 9 minutes and 37 seconds before I realized I had been cheated out of my hard working grass cutting lawn money.

Tourist trophy was another disaster. I took the first corner of a map and wiped out (no pun attended) got back on the track and felt like gravity was pushing harder and harder on my neck. That’s the sign of true sucker guilt.

and R2….can’t even describe how much of a let down that was.

42. crippledhooba

This ain’t cool man. Mass Effect 2, now this…I think I’m gonna go cry in a pillow.

43. Blerk

2010 is the new 2009. Apparently.

/waits for Assassin’s Creed 2 to get delayed as well

44. JonFE

I think it’s kind of wise to avoid rushing all your big games for the lucrative Christmas season, in a “not keeping all your eggs in one basket” sort of way. No competition with CoD:MW2 is a solid enough reason.

Another one is that, with the recession still going strong, budget to purchase games during an already expensive period will be limited, so a lot of people will cherry-pick their choice among the most popular franchises (and that includes the ever-present annual-updated sports games), leaving good games racing against time to bargain prices due to low sales.

Just remember how quickly big names like Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia or Far Cry 2 got discounted last Christmas…

PS The 2009 list Phychotext mentioned above, along with GTA DLC, will be enough for me anyway ;-)

45. No_PUDding

I also had State of Emergency, did Rockstar develop that or just publish it?

46. JonFE

According to wikipedia:

State of Emergency is a controversial 2002 action-adventure video game released by Rockstar Games. It was developed by Polish firm VIS Entertainment Ltd. for the PlayStation 2, Xbox and Microsoft Windows. Hip Hop artists D-Stroy and Jean Grae provided voice overs for State of Emergency characters.

47. No_PUDding

Good… So Rockstar still ahvnen’t developed a bad game. They published plenty of piece of shit xD