Insomniac intends to stay with Sony “for the forseeable future”

Tuesday, 21st July 2009 09:12 GMT By Mike

insomniaclogo1b

In today’s video gaming market, there’s a general tendence to move away from exclusivity, and rake in the sales by going multiplatform. Now, GI wanted to know if Ryan Schneider, director of marketing and communications for Sony first-party developer Insomnaic Games, has considered this when he stares down the barrel of Resistance 2 sales figures.

This is what he said:

“Sure, as an independent developer, you do consider those options – but at the same time we do have a great relationship with Sony.

“We’ve been with Sony for a long, long time now, and that’s where we intend to stay for the foreseeable future.”

Why so much Sony love? Schneider explains:

“Sony bends over backwards to work with its development teams. Their product development team is second to none – we absolutely love working with them.

“Their PR and marketing folks are terrific to work with and very dedicated to the cause, and there are some very creative people there.

“We feel very fortunate to have that sort of relationship in place.”

Full interview with Schneider through the link.

1. No_PUDding

This is just like every dev will say about their publisher…

2. Blerk

… while secretly plotting to stab them in the back! Sometimes.

3. No_PUDding

I’ll get rid of the ‘… So Whatever’, so you’re comment works better, shall I Blerk?

4. Robo_1

What were the sales of R2 like in the end? Insomniac and Sony are clearly pretty cosy, I imagine it would take a major offer from another publisher or a serious dispute between the two firms to see them part ways. Sony does throw Insomniac games a lot of marketing support.

5. No_PUDding

Sony throws no games marketing support.

Ask me what game I last saw an advert for that wa Sony exlcusive? Go on, ask me.

6. Psychotext

What was the last Sony exclusive that you saw an advert for Pud?

7. Hunam

Aren’t they technically a second party developer, as they have an exclusive contract with Sony but are not owned by them…

8. No_PUDding

Never. I know that doesn’t grammatically make sense, but never.

(thanks for asking)

9. No_PUDding

No contract, but Sony own their IP

10. Psychotext

Well don’t you just fail at watching TV pud? :P

11. Panipal2005

Or go to the cinema, I’ve seen cinema ads for Resistance 2 and Motorstorm PS3 sequel (I don’t much care for racing games…I guess it shows).