Splinter Cell: Conviction to be “seamless experience”

Friday, 10th July 2009 10:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

splintercelconvictiona5

Ubisoft’s Maxime Béland doesn’t want any cut-scenes in Splinter Cell Conviction at all. Like, he really doesn’t want them.

“My dream – and I hope we can pull it off – is to have the whole game with no cuts,” the developer told IGN.

“One fucking seamless experience with no stops. You saw it – what’s cool is that it hides the loading scenes; we play full-HD movies in full screen and you don’t really notice that we’re loading in the background.”

He will do it.

“We will do it – it’s just that sometimes, when you use the mirror to look under the door for example, we do a cut. But no! Right now, we weren’t able to do it for E3, but the idea is that next time Sam uses his mirror, he’s going to pull out his mirror, the camera’s going to shift down to the mirror and you’re there the whole time.”

It’s out in October for PC and 360. No cut-scenes allowed.

1. G1GAHURTZ

But… when will it stop so that I can save it and go to bed?

2. loki

May be developer must do only xbox 360 version with normal story with cool cut-scenes. May be I buy this.
    But Ubisoft fuck everything

3. jnms

Cut-scenes are so ‘Movie Industry’ this is the fucking game industry! Time people realised that cut-scenes are to games, what stage props are to movies!

4. rainer

I like cut scenes, some games do the story within game poorly.

Certain games have dodgy 3D audio & it can be difficult to hear whats going on as the in game sound effects are blaring away or your not in the exact right position to hear it properly, its really annoying.

5. Johnny Cullen

I like what Ubi are attempting with this.

While MGS is suited for cut-scenes, Splinter Cell doesnt need them (well, if they did before, Conviction looks good enough not to need them.)

6. reask

I am starting to want this game.
    Wonder what the achievements will be like?
    Tough I would guess.

7. No_PUDding

Splinter Cell didn’t need them.

It’s just now they are artifically placing them in your playing space.

The more I think about it, the more I dislike it, in comparison to the awesome in Chaos Theory. And as for the mirror thing, well that was most defintely a 2D part, so I am glad they will change that.