Sony has no plans for NXE-like update for PSN

Tuesday, 7th July 2009 18:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

xmb

SCEA’s director of network operations, Eric Lempel, has said that there isn’t a NXE-like overhaul in PSN’s future.

“What we find is that people really like our current interface,” he told CVG. “We did redesign the PlayStation Store last April to make some improvements, make it faster, make it better, and we’re always listening to consumers. But right now the XMB is an Emmy Award-winning interface and people like it.

“They’re very comfortable with it. So we’re not looking to do anything radical. We’ll still do some research behind the scenes and see what can we do to make things better, or how can we make it so consumers find content faster, but right now we’re pretty happy with it.

“No plans right now to do anything like what the competitor has done.”

There ya go.

1. Syrok

Did someone say they were going to change it? Personally I don’t see a need to do that. It’s perfectly fine in my opinion.

2. Redh3lix

Thank god. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the XMB. It works perfectly. I’m personally not interested in having my own system avatar (ala XBox / Wii) or any familiar “features”.

Just provide further functionality / services on top of what’s already available and I’ll be very happy.

3. Hunam

Didn’t you read what was in the rumoured update, it was ace.

4. Zarckan

I think they need to make the store more prominent.

Perhaps have it as part of the XMB directly and not a separate “app” ?!

I also think they need to do what the PSP does and forces FW updates via titles.

5. Syrok

@Hunam: Ah, was it mentioned there?

I would much rather see a PSN cards in Europe than any new apps/updates/features.

6. BeenThereDoneThat

Hurray! Thank you Sony! Just keep updating features like you have been. I prefer a functional, easy to navigate menu system over the NXE’s goofy avatar system. I feel like a child every time I power up my 360. I wish I could remove it. These are high fidelity pieces, lets keep them that way.

7. Psychotext

Avatars were really only a part of the new functionality in NXE.

That aside, the “emmy award winning” part of the interview is full of facepalm.

8. Neolucifer

@Zarckan

No thanks the store is perfectly well placed as is . It’s not in my face , and only accessible for those that want it .

And whats the point of force FW updates with games ? it happens on PSP because of piracy issues

9. Psychotext

Because some games will use new firmware functionality, thus requiring the update.

10. evilashchris

Okay, so who took that picture of their XMB, and what exactly is ‘Oral Fixation 2′? :D

11. MushroomStamp

The only problem I have is that it’s a real PITA to compare trophies and even message friends, especially while in game.

12. Zarckan

@Neolucifer 2 reasons …

1. It doesn’t just happen on PSP for Piracy reasons, as there are new CFW out all the time, 5.55 is out now.

2. I know people who don’t even have the Store in their XMB and know not that it exists, which is the problem.

13. Redh3lix

@ evilashchris

Well spotted! :D

It’s clearly a film about dentistry *cough* lol

14. Zarckan

Ahem

15. Psychotext

Astonishingly I knew that. I think I have the first album around here somewhere.

/is way out of touch with music

16. fearmonkey

I have to say after checking out the link that I was rather disapointed lol

17. Syrok

Is this link better? :)

18. MushroomStamp

Her Hips are AMAZING.. wish should could teach my GF that..

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

HA! Oral Fixation Vol2……good spot….lol

20. theevilaires

psychotext has come out to play, so shall I.

the XMB is fine the NXE i hear is slow and causes more problems than the blades, I’m just the messenger don’t attack me :P

21. Psychotext

“psychotext has come out to play, so shall I”

What did I do wrong this time?

22. theevilaires

nothing except I haven’t seen you grace the web pages of VG247 in a while…I was beginning to worry something happened to you.

But you’re ok I see…good

23. Psychotext

:D

Good to see you’re ok too.