Tomb Raider creator named lead designer for Crystal Dynamics’ new game

Thursday, 18th June 2009 17:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

tobygard

Toby Gard has been named lead designer of Crystal Dynamics’ unannounced title.

The Tomb Raider creator announced it via his LinkedIn profile.

Sounds like the AAA title mentioned Tuesday might be the revamping of Lara after all.

We’ll find out soon enough, we reckon.

Thanks, D’toid.

1. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Good to hear. Go straight to the source.

2. Captain Fruitloop

Bad move. It was adhering to the muddled and not very interesting mythology and backstory of the series that made Underworld’s story a confused mess, and all that stuff was Gard’s baby, I believe.

I’m not sure the guy who created the series is the best guy to revamp it. Too attached to some of the failing ideas in it to know when it’s time to kill your babies?

3. Bulk Slash

It seems like only yesterday that they revamped the series with Legend, I’m not sure it needs revamping again just yet. Underworld was dull as dishwater I thought, but that was down to level design and story. A decent story with some more imaginative levels and they’d be onto another winner in my book.

Just as long as this revamping isn’t to do with introducing casual friendly waggle controls…

4. Captain Fruitloop

Gard was a consultant on Legend, lead designer on Anniversary and cinematics director and story co-writer on Underworld.

The franchise needs a new broom that sweeps clean. I don’t think he’s it.

5. Blerk

S-O-U-L R-E-A-V-E-R!

6. Freek

Hasn’t Tomb Raider already been rebooted twice? And had the first one re-made?
    At a certain point you gotta let it go.

7. DaMan

it was rebooted one time, in 2006.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I for one very much enjoyed Underworlds levels. Quite fondly thinking back on it now actually (not as much as Legend ofcourse). Just still issues with the camera is all.

9. DaMan

all the last three games were good. Legend was way too much of a shooter though.

Tomb Raider is doing okay actually, just not as great as it was in the 90s.

10. Michael O'Connor

“Tomb Raider is doing okay actually, just not as great as it was in the 90s.”

The irony being that the 90s games were absolutely fuckin’ shit.

11. endgame

bloody hell and i was hoping for a new game in the nosgoth universe.. :(

12. DaMan

” The irony being that the 90s games were absolutely fuckin’ shit. ”
    the first three were great, then it went downhill.

and actually I was talking about sales.

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Just for shit’s and giggles….here’s my list of best Tomb Raider games in order. I don’t even list the bad ones. I would think most people who’ve played the games will somewhat agree with the games on this list if not the order.

5. TR: Underworld