Hawkins: iPhone is “freaking out” Sony and Nintendo

Wednesday, 15th April 2009 13:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

iphonea

Trip “Poster Boy” Hawkins has told VentureBeat that Sony and Nintendo are currently “freaking out” at inroads made into the gaming space by iPhone.

“The iPhone is by far our most effective platform,” said the EA founder and Digital Chocolate boss.

“We make as much money with these games on one device as we do putting a game on 100 different cell phone platforms. Between the iPod Touch and the iPhone, I think the platform is freaking out Sony and Nintendo.

“Apple has sold 30 million units so far and it has created tremendous awareness. It has taken ground all over the world. But it has only penetrated one half of one percent of its total market.”

There’s more through there. Thanks, CasualGaming.biz.

1. Tonka

Go to your home old man. We don’t want your crazy talk!

2. Shatner

Buying an iPhone in order to play games is like buying a car in order to listen to the radio.

3. anasui

surely I’m gonna trade intuitive&fun with wonky&limited one day or another. Thanks Hawkins

4. Patrick Garratt

I am going to get one. It’s got a WordPress app and there’s nothing else on the market that does web stuff anywhere near as well. They’re adding copy and paste soon, as well. I’m going to wait till the next upgrade then do it.

5. Patrick Garratt

But games have nothing to do with me wanting one, to be honest.

6. freedoms_stain

I don’t really see what sony and nintendo have to freak out about, a touch screen alone isn’t really an adequate interface for the majority of games, the PSP and DS remain much stronger and more versatile (gaming) units.

7. tenthousandgothsonacid

What some of the previous posters are missing is that I have a psp and ds but just buy games for my iphone these days as it’s always with me. Just in the same way that I have a much better digital camera but most of my photos are from the phone too as I always have it with me.

That shouldn’t be underestimated…

8. DaMan

Digital Chocolate is one of the best mobile devs.

in Japan, cell phones are practically a third handheld platform since about 2003.

PSP is lame anyway, I really hope Sony learned from their mistakes and the new one will be an actual competitor to DS and other handheld gaming platforms.

9. Pyrix

Do the iPod touches have exactly the same apps/games as the iPhone, but you just can’t use the iPod touch as a phone?

10. Blerk

Yes. The Touch also has a faster processor than the iPhone, so it’s actually better for games.

11. Syrok

Yup, that’s it. Everything is the same but you can’t call people.

12. Pyrix

So, surely it makes financial sense to buy an iPod touch, and then an average £20 phone?

13. Blerk

“Buying something from Apple” and “making financial sense” are not phrases which naturally go together. :-D