EA hopes Sony’s future gets a little brighter

Tuesday, 3rd March 2009 19:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps331

EA’s Glen Schofield is keeping his fingers crossed that Sony fortunes pick up with PS3.

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, Schofield never came right out and said that Sony should cut prices on its console, but that’s pretty much it.

“I’m really not sure what’s going on with Sony,” he said. “They’ve been such a great, great partner and PlayStation 2 being such a great machine that, God, I hope they get out of this and they figure it out and they’re around for a long time.”

“You know, I can’t tell them what to do. I don’t know their finances”, he added.”

With rumors of a price cut circling the globe once more, he might just get his wish.

More through the link.

1. DaMan

I’m really worried about PS3 now :(

2. ecu

Their profit margins are razor thin and they can’t afford to lose another penny.

I think PS3 will be around for a while. I know we all laugh at them when they keep going on about this 10 year plan, but I can see them doing it.

3. hitnrun

I hope Sony doesn’t do something dumb like listen to people who want them to “win” over people who want them to make money, especially when the whole company is in financial chaos.

I agree with Ecu. You can’t add another $100 of debt to every unit sold and expect to just make that up in licensing fees, especially with the entire economic world sweating over the short term. I also agree that the PS3 will be around, for the exact reason that they aren’t going to cut the price prematurely.

I expect a $50 cut this fall.

4. jnms

I’ve said this before. Sony are going to be perhaps the first in a long line of electric giants to fail. There ‘finances’ are dicey. They are merging depts. My bet is that the company will last 2 more years tops as we head into the 10year global depression.

5. Psychotext

10 year global depression? What the hell!

6. DaMan

depression=/=recession =))

7. jnms

Unfortunatly a drepression is a lost worse than a recession. I talk with a lot of financial advisors and ‘insiders’ the information they give me isn’t pretty. There is a lot of fear about the economy right now, and the information isn’t being widely released through the fear of causing bank-runs like we saw last year. Right now we are on the beginning steps of a depression which will be at *least* as bad as the Great Depression.

8. jnms

I just re-read my previous post. And I didn’t intend it to sound quite so alarmist. That said, a fact is a fact…

9. DaMan

“We”?

10. jnms

If you are talking to me DaMan the ‘We’ means ‘The Entire World’.

11. DaMan

I think that’s a bit too much.

12. Cort

jnms, Sony is suffering more from the strength of the Yen against the world’s other major currencies than it is from the global economic downturn generally. Any trader will tell you that the Yen is heavily overpriced – as was Sterling until last year. Expect it to drop in 2009/10, thus relieving some of the pressure given that most of Sony’s sales are outside of Japan. It’s a similar situation for the likes of Toyota – both could sell 20% more than last year but not make a penny more in profits thanks to unfavourable exchange rates.

Incidentally, large-scale restructuring is no proof of failure but proof that a company is responding to the market conditions. It is companies which do not adapt which are more likely to fail.

13. G1GAHURTZ

@ DaMan:

I seriously doubt that Sony is in any significant danger of failing any time soon.

Especially not within the next two years.

We’re talking about a global corporation that has many different divisions that turn over billions in revenue year after year. Their future doesn’t just rely on the speed of the sales of the PS3, rather, they have electronics, films, music, games, investments, etc, etc.

They are far, far too significant a company in the world to just go under, while nobody thinks of doing anything about it. Just think how important the Playstation brand is… In terms of gaming it’s almost priceless.

I’m sure that they have a lot of other means of income that could be used to support their (now restructured) gaming division to be a cause for concern any time soon.

So don’t worry.