Source: PSP-4000 has sliding screen, is “complete aesthetic overhaul”

Monday, 23rd February 2009 09:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psp4000a

VG247 has learned that PSP-4000 does have a sliding front-screen, with a highly-trusted source confirming fresh details on the unannounced machine this morning.

PSP-4000 is not PSP2, but rather a “complete aesthetic overhaul” based on existing PSP tech.

Much is now known by some parties of the console, which will be announced at either GDC or E3 this year, but cards are currently being clutched very tightly to chests.

The revamp does have a sliding front-screen, and we’re assured the design being currently touted isn’t a million miles away from this now-infamous image.

Eurogamer rumoured PSP-4000 for a 2009 release in December last year, and our source confirmed this to be the case today.

Sony has constantly denied PSP2 is in the works: now you know why.

Rumour? This is not a test, Ringo. Comprendez vous?

1. lelik

that thing looks amazing

2. Blerk

For some reason that picture reminds me of my GBA SP.

3. DrDamn

Ditch the UMD, include a HDD or decent amount of solid state and make everything downloadable. That’s what I want.

4. Patrick Garratt

I think it’s going to be the same machine with new “features”. I’d expect the disc to stay.

5. rauper

Nah, the disc is a goner…

6. Patrick Garratt

Is there an HD? I think my “source” started sweating a bit when I got specific…

7. Blerk

HD would be too heavy, surely. I’d imagine they’ll just be building in a nice chunk of solid state memory instead.

8. Patrick Garratt

Too expensive too, innit. And Sony’s makes lots of lovely flash cards anyway.

9. Blerk

Where did that image actually come from, btw? I think it’s the first time I’ve seen it.

10. Patrick Garratt

It’s been knocking about for a while, I think. Last year, iirc.

11. Blerk

Touch screen? :-)

12. Michael O'Connor

“Nah, the disc is a goner…”

There would be no point in even labelling it is a PSP upgrade (as opposed to a PSP 2) if there were going to remove the UMD drive entirely. No company with an ounce of sense would make a move like that.

Anyway, this could prove to be interested, if its true. Can’t wait to hear more.

13. rainer

I wonder is touch sensitivity part of the sliding screen approach ? mimicking the apple ipod/iphone touch models for media playback but also some games.

[I doubt there is any phone parts to it]

14. Robo_1

I’d be very surprised if this had a UMD drive. They may sell it as an optional add on? For PSP2 (1.5) I’m looking for:

1 – Inbuilt solid state memory
    2 – More portable
    3 – Improved controls
    4 – Touch screen interface
    5 – More games.
    6 – Improved battery life

The tech doesn’t need improving really, not when it’s stacked against the iPhone and DSi, it still stands at the top end.

I’ve been going through KZ: Liberation on PSP recently, and I’ve really been enjoying it. The recent dearth of games for the machine has been a real waste, and I hope that 4000 re-ignites interest in developers.

15. DrDamn

The UMD has to go sooner or later. The ramp up of PSP titles available through the PSN Store is readily apparent. As is the dwindling shelf space available for the platform in shops. It’s the natural way to go. I’d like to see a lot more “little” titles available this way too. Titles which suit the mobile format better.

16. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, that pic is really old. I remember seeing it ages ago.

Anyway, surely with a screen of that size, you would need a near car sized battery to make it keep going long enough to watch a whole film on…?

17. El_MUERkO

the pic used has been confirmed as a non-sony design, it would be awesome if it was something like that

i ditched my psp for being to awkward to play games on without getting a cramp, maybe they’ll sort it out in the 4000 revision

18. Michael O'Connor

“The UMD has to go sooner or later. The ramp up of PSP titles available through the PSN Store is readily apparent.”

Downloads are an alternative, but they’re not going to completely replace UMDs. As I already pointed out, completely removing one of the core components of the hardware would defeat the whole point of labelling it as an “upgrade” instead of say, the PSP 2.

Not only would it isolate existing users from wanting to upgrade, because they won’t be able to use their back catalogue of titles on it, but it would also limit the amount of titles new users users could buy, as they would only be able to purchase the titles that have been put on the store.

Now, the PSP 2 is a different story. I *could* see that becoming a download /transfer only entertainment device without a disc-drive. But it’s not going to happen with the PSP-1.

19. DrDamn

Yeah the PSP is now particularly well designed for people with big hands like me. I do have a cover made by a company called Black with built in retractable grips which made quite a bit of difference. A more comfy standard design would be nice though.

20. Gekidami

/Facepalm
    Thats a fan-made pic…

21. Gekidami

Awaiting moderation… Anywho, yeah that pic is fanmade, i would post the link but i cant.

22. Psychotext

Aye. Also, whilst that fanmade pic is easy on the eyes, it wouldn’t be easy on the hands.

23. Gekidami

Indeed, very boxy, looks nearly impossible to hold.

24. Patrick Garratt

Approved.

The person I got this from pointed at that image as an illustration of how the slide screen looks.

25. G1GAHURTZ

I was sure that I’d seen it before…

That pic has been around since at least April last year:

26. G1GAHURTZ

I was sure that I’d seen it before…

That pic has been around since at least April last year:

http ://www. thatvideogameblog.com/2008/04/14/wishlist-what-the-next-psp-should-have/

27. deftangel

If it looks like that it’s going to cost an arm and a leg!

28. ceiltsei

Of course it will have a UMD slot. Sony has put so much money into UMD and that is where 95% of games are loaded from. The sliding screen idea doesn’t make too much sense to me either, what would it be covering up? If it were to cover up the controls it would be a constant pain in the butt for anybody playing a game. With the huge market of media players I cannot see somebody forking out a big pile of cash for a PSP 4000 for gaming and media when their the media software in the PSP is incredibly outdated, the games are going into the mid 90s Genesis fad phase (good games are released but too few and not often enough) and UMD movies have hit rock bottom.

I do see the possibility of a hidden keyboard to win the psp vs dsi war soon approaching. If this were the case they would have to change the UI entirely as the current model is not friendly for the ultra-light PC which it would become.

29. airdom

Heh, this thing is gonna cost just about as much as the ps3 by the looks of it haha

30. Johnny Cullen

Woah!

Dave Perry is saying the PSP 2 wont have a UMD disc drive.

The link will be in the que so get to it quickly.

31. Johnny Cullen

32. AnotherDigitalJoe

Sony would not give up on UMD. It is basically the same Mini Disc that they developed for Music before portable MP3 players became common. The plastic case surrounding the disc is the only thing that has changed between the two formats. Sony is not a company that likes to give up on its proprietary formats. It changes them from time to time to make them more consumer friendly but for the most part they will try to reuse the technology that they developed again and again until the Consumer says no more, or someone develops something better.

33. chris_huh

I could understand them wanting to keep the UMD since they have put effort into it. But i think it would be so much better if they left that out and just sold games on memory sticks (m2) and available to download onto an onboard memory. I’m not sure how much more that would cost though. M2 cards are fairly cheap, but probably more than a UMD.

But that would save on battery life, which would be needed for the touchscreen they really should have in it.

Also enough buttons to map the ps3′s controls would be nice (ie L2, R2 and an extra analog stick).

34. elxr06

Right now, PSP is stacked as is in features. But nobody is talking about what new games shoudl come out.

Who cares what format games come in, whether UMD is being axed with PSP-4000. It’s all about the games. That’s the selling point here.

What games do you want? More FPS? more sports games? Do you want some nintendo games on the PSP? The console may be advanced and look good but if you have nothing good to use for it, then it’s crap!

35. R-TEEi

Hey SONY! That look like crap, how do you expect anyone to hold that thang,I hope you compare it to the slim style and see how much better that look than this. I mean come ON! I am looking forword to buy one of the best console game ever made “PSP 4000,” I definitely won’t buy that if that is what you guys think is great. Is kinda like trash to me.

36. R-TEEi

I hope that it had a much better look. I can guarantee that their will be at least twice as much people who will buy the old good looking style than the one on the that you think you will be making.

37. Gekidami

Thats a fan concept…

38. Syrok

Hey R-TEEi! That is just a mockup.

;)

39. PSP-4000.org

There is yet another controversy with some sites claiming that the Sony PSP-4000 will altogether be a different thing in the market than what is expected from it. It will not be the same in the lineage of PSP-3000

40. hzcy

Any member of your group can post to your trip blog. This is a great way to share information with your team and your
    supporters.power strip |booster cable |
    tow rope |ratchet tiedown

41. hzcy

What youre saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it
    in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what youre trying to say.
    Im sure youll reach so many people with what youve got to say.glue stick |glue gun
    |booster cable |power cord