Report: Rare drops 12 artists and engineers

Thursday, 19th February 2009 12:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

rarelogo1

Rare has reportedly laid off around 12 artists and engineers, following confirmation this week that the studio was to be restructured.

The company is also reducing the number of project leads, according to this GI report, asking employees to reapply for positions elsewhere within the company.

Rare studio manager Mark Betteridge said on Tuesday that structural alterations were necessary at the studio to “speed development and better manage the scale required to create high quality games”.

1. Psychotext

Good luck peoples. :(

I wonder how many people are there total. I know it’s supposed to be a pretty big team.

2. Blerk

RARE certainly do need some ‘speeding up’, but I don’t really see how cutting jobs can help that. :-|

/salutes the fallen

3. LeD

That doesn’t sound too bad a cull. Hopefully it’ll be the artists that insisted on making everything stupidly cute and fluffy, and we can have something more up-to-date.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, we need games made without any artists involved!

5. El_MUERkO

in my mind rare are a spent force, whatever drove them to make excellent games back in the day seems long gone, the george lucas of gaming

6. Rock_Me_Amadeus

12 artists, 12 engineers innit “Around 12 positions have gone in both departments”

7. No_PUDding

LeD, I don’t think this is a bad thing becuase of how big or small the cuts are.

Cuts are cuts, and it sucks for those individuals.

I doubt the company will be effected very much at all, but people need jobs.

8. jeremycafe

I wonder if all those idiots who said the video game industry is recession proof have finally come to their senses o.O

Still hoping things work out for Midway’s studios, have a couple of buddies that have no idea what is going to happen to their jobs. Not a fan of any games midway produces, but still hate to see people lose their jobs.